Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plastic cleaning/polishing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Nov 6, 2008.

1. belair

belair

I need to remove some overspray and then polish a plastic speedo lens. Lacquer thinner is too hot for the plastic, what can I use to clean this piece without ruining it?

2. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

You can probably use cleaner/polish used for convertilble top back windows and motorcycle windshields. I've successfully used very fine wetsand paper, rubbing compound in extrafine grade and finally a paste of cornstarch and water on a plexiglass rear window of a Corvette hardtop. In earlier years I had used a blue window tint on it. No scratches using the above process.

For a small guage you might also use some toothpaste.
    Ol Blue

3. You might try using a clay bar.

4. Abomination

Abomination

I restore Western Electric telephones from about the turn of the century to the 70s. Needless to say, I've a lot of plastic restoration experience.

What kind of plastic? What kind of paint? When was the plastic made (how old)?

If it's latex-based paint, Pine-Sol works wonders. It works wonders for all kinds of overspray, actually. Soak the part, and the paint comes off with a fingernail.

As for buffing, Novus Plastic Polish is the kick-ass-shite for that, my friend. There are 3 bottles, each with a different "grit" - #1 being the lightest. You start out with #1, then move to #2, and #3. Use the #3 until it's where you want it to be clean-wise, then use #2 and then #1 to finish. It'll be polished clear as a spring day.

But seriously - the kind of paint and the kind of plastic really do make a difference here. Worse comes to worse, you may be stuck "going through the grits" so to speak, and wet-sanding it off.

~Jason

5. hemifarris

hemifarris

Mother's aluminum polish for coated wheels is like the finest "rubbing compound" you can find. You can then polish with Meguiar's #7 seal and re-seal. Meguiars #7 is what General Motors sold over the parts counter in a plastic "GM bottle" in the early 60's as a polish for the early Corvette bolt on hardtop windows and speedometer/tachometer lenses, which were plastic.....Mike

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

Weren't the early phones bakelite?

7. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I always sand with 2000 wet and then polish with Semi Chrome polish. Looks like it was just molded.

8. Abomination

Abomination

Yep-a-doo. :)

And the ones from the 60s up are not. I've done more than my share of paint removal on 'em, too! I think the worst was a Bakelite Western Electric 302 set that someone had painted white with house paint!
    :eek::eek::eek:

~Jason

9. belair

belair

This is a lens frm a 72 El Camino, and it has prime and some base coat overspray.

10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Try a metal polish, like Simichrome or Mothers before breaking out the sandpaper. It always works well for me.

11. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

i second novis works great

12. noboD

noboD

I use Number 7 chrome polish on plastic. It is the old Dupont Number 7, bottle looks the same, works the same, but without the Dupont name. It is still the best chrome polish there is too.

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Novus is used by a lot of watch restorers to polish up scratched acrylic watch glass.Its mighty good shit !

14. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The clay bar mentioned earlier will haze soft plastics like pinstripe or interior lenses. But might also be a great substitute for sandpaper.

What I would do/have done- Wet sand the lens by hand, it probably needs it anyway to eliminate damage. 800 or 1000 grit is probably where to start. 1500 or higher to finish if you're really picky or want to cut polishing time. Follow it up with liberal application of 3M plastic polish. (Napa stocks it) I think meguairs makes an equivalent. 1/8th of a bottle (or less) should suffice for a cluster lens.

You can apply the polish by hand, or if you wish to avoid carpal tunnel, I've rigged low speed "precision buffers" taping a terrycloth towel to a small sanding disc backer (2" roloc) and using low speed on a cordless drill.

You'll be amazed.

good luck

15. Cymro

Cymro

"Brasso" metal polish will also work, also toothpaste on a rag, then rinse under a tap (faucet ?)this was a favourite for buffing clear plastic parts on model cars and aeroplanes in my youth.

16. Who sells the Novus

17. Abomination

Abomination

It's all over online with just a quick Google search for "Novus Plastic Polish"... And it's to your benefit to get all 3 "grits".

Locally, I think I've seen it at Ace hardware stores... Maybe Home Depot or Lowes, but I support the little guy. :)

~Jason

18. TOOTHPASTE.............like a fine rubbing compound and always handy...works wonders.....

19. Hey guys, the newer "base transportation vehicles" have large plastic headlight lenses that require periodic cleaning, try a NAPA BK #760-1750, it is a mini buffer wheel kit, sold lots of them and very positive feedback from local shops. Also, NAPA stocks the Meguiar line and they have a plastic cleaner and polish for plastic such as convertible tops windows and motorcycle faring use, works great for taillight, turnsignal lenses to give that nice "new" look.

20. tragic59

tragic59

wbrw32 beat me to it...

Some O/T advice, you can use it to clear up your fogged headlights on your late model as well.

21. If you can immerse the lens, try Castrol Super Clean or Greased Lightning. I use it on model car plastic and it works fine. You may have to do some scrubbing with a toothbrush, but it works. It may take a few hours or more to allow it to work.

Novus can be found in almost any hobby store. Meguairs Show Car Glaze is the same as Novus #2, which is the right grit, the #3 is too aggressive and the #1 is too light.

Bob

22. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

sounds maybe goofy but i have used acrylic nail removal for removing paint and clue from plastic parts...

23. dadseh

dadseh

WARNING...NEVER ATTEMPT TO POLISH MODERN CAR PLASTIC HEADLAMP LENSES......
    they have a clear coating which gives the plastic a UV protection. IF YOU DO, after 12 months in the sun they will be rooted !!

24. Abomination

Abomination

Novus #1 is pretty much a cleaner. But because all 3 have a "grit" (the higher the number, the higher the "grit"), you have to "go through the grits" as you do with sandpaper.

First do the Novus #1, and if that doesn't get it, move on to #2. And if that STILL doesn't get it, move on to #3. If that gets the deep scratches out, then follow up with #2 to get rid of any extra scratches you did with the #3, and then move to #1 to get out any extra scratches the #2 did. Should come out with a mirror-smooth polish.

~Jason

25. barry mazza

barry mazza

Used toothpaste on my glass's , ruined the lense with scratch marks.
    BARRESSE'

26. flacoman

flacoman
    from Sunrise FL

For really grungy stuff , a paste of cigarette ash works well ,or baking soda .
    Both of these work well because they get finer as you work them.
    HTH
    jorge

27. Abomination

Abomination

Good one!

~Jason

28. Muttley

Muttley

Blue Magic works great on plastic.

[​IMG]