Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Motors....any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquigMachine, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 26 coupe

26 coupe

Most of the parts for my T came from Speedway. The only problem was my fault and they helped me sort it out..

Marty

2. pastlane

pastlane

Was just reading in the latest issue of Speedway Illustrated that Speedy Bill bought Afco (American Fabricating) in Indiana. Hopefully they will keep the manufacturing end of that business here in the states.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Never had a complaint with Speedway at all!
    Bill is a totally awesome guy too, when the Americruise hits Lincoln he puts on a great party and provides food and drinks to hundreds if not thousands of rodders.
    Not to mention his "little" museum!

4. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

We've had a positive experience from their parts and service. Most of the sales team is pretty good about their knowledge of inventory and tech. We'd highly recommend Speedway to everyone.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Always delivered on time and the tech line is great. I've gotten one part that was defective. A signal light with a dead buld. They sent me TWO new bulbs NEXT DAY AIR at their cost.

6. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I have bought from them in the past and will buy from them again. Good prices and service.

7. fewjeeps

fewjeeps
    from Omaha

They've only been in business since '52? Definately top noch.

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

we just received a big order and one small part was defective. One short phone call later and a replacement was on its way. They did not ask us to ship the replacement back to them, rather, they said to just throw it away. Now that is customer service! We just placed another larger order. Guess they earned it.

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

They are our major supplier.............

10. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

You can't beat that! :D They are the best of the best! I got their bomber seats last time. Great! pigpen

[​IMG]

11. I've always been happy. Only once did they not have an item in stock. They pack their stuff well and ship it fast.

12. hotrodhillbilly23

hotrodhillbilly23
    from Indiana

I buy Speedway parts all the time, but wish they would say where the parts were made in the catalog. Plays a big part to me when I order, If I know something is made in the US, I'll pay a little more for it, then something from overseas.

13. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Great people ,great service, one small problem once, they fixed it instantly. They have a lot of stuff that is hard to find else where. Hard to beat Speedway.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Take note. The seats you get now are not made by the same people as when they were first available.

Speedway has made a habit of stocking parts developed and manufactured by hot rodders, then cutting ties, outsourcing their own version and undercutting the original manufacturers price by a few bucks.

Tardel drum retainers
    open drive banjo conversion (Hot Rod Works)
    bomber style seats
    who knows what else

Maybe it's just business and maybe you're cool with it. It's not my place to say but I personally feel it's not the best way to handle things.

Also, I would stay away from their adjustable lifter sets for flatheads completely. Wiped a cam because I believe I got crap lifters. (other have reported the same problem but Speedway had never heard of it and refused any compensation)

15. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Speedway has made a habit of stocking parts developed and manufactured by hot rodders, then cutting ties, outsourcing their own version and undercutting the original manufacturers price by a few bucks.

Maybe it's just business and maybe you're cool with it. It's not my place to say but I personally feel it's not the best way to handle things.

well put, This best describes how I feel about speedway. Ask the owner of PitPals. Bill smith and his wife come and take a tour of the facility, they are very impressed and extremely cordial. They buy some parts. Few months later speedway is selling the same product at nearly half price. the stuff that speedway actually manufactures is cheaper for a reason. the name brand stuff is sold at a price that undercuts local speed shops drastically.

Speedway is the Walmart of the automotive aftermarket.

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Always had good luck with Speedway, but have to say am quickly losing respect for Speedy Bill and all the others like him who take their manufacturing overseas. This would even include the big buck Nascar drivers who have foreign affiliations, really is too bad. Have even seen a post that Rodder's Journal is printed in China. If true it is a dispicable way to pollute our American hobby. Have found I always need to check where my Speedway, Summitt, or other stuff is made before I order it, just to keep my traditional Hot Rod the way I think it should be. It's really too bad good suppliers think it's OK to roll over for the quick buck.

17. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I have had good and bad luck with Speedway. Some aprts are great and some not so great. I have replaced every rod end I bought from them. THe ones on my panhard bar and drag link all went bad in less than 5k miles. Got good ones on there now. But have not had any issues with the other parts.