Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery ohv banger head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sawracer, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I stumbled across a four port, eight valve, 1 3/4" port, overhead cam model a ford head. Any clues to who may have made it or which design it may be? I haven't seen it yet, no pics yet either. But with a little luck, and a lotta scratch, it may be in my grasp soon. I know this is weak suck for hints but it's all the info I have for now. Thanks

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can you discribe the cam drive? Is Four port to you 4 intake or 4 exhaust?

3. banjorear

banjorear

Positive it is for a model a? Rajo made an OHC head for model T's I believe.

Didn't HAL make an single OHC head for model A's. I'm sure there are others. Really hard without a picture.

4. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

don't commit until you know what it is. i'd hate to see you buy some piece of shit head just because it's some ohv head. there are quite a few short run heads that are out there. don't get stuck with one that you'll never be able to build, use, or sell 'cause there is too much shit missing.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

MILLER made a Single Overhead Cam head that used the stock Ford exhaust valves, with the stock cam lifting them,an overhead F head if that makes sence.

6. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Just post a pic when you have one and we'll let you know what it is.

7. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Awesome input guys I appreciate it very much! Especially the part about buying a piece of shit. Did I mention cross flow? I know it's a single overhead cam for sure, that's it for now.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

They did make a crossflow Cragar, and I REALLY regret selling the one I had years ago. I had the cup system and overhead cam conversion from another, so Cragar may be a possability. McDowell made one as wel at 3579 Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank, Ca, Bobby check that place out.:)

Attached Files:

9. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

there is also the cook which is another crossflow 8 port head that's very similar to the cragar but neither are ohc. i think there are a few gemsa ohc heads around. too many possibilities without seeing a pic or getting more info.

10. TV

TV

I'm guessing it might be a Gimsa. Joe made a lot of strange stuff. I know of some with a few friends that fall into that boat. But I also know Miller/Cragar made some single overhead cam heads. I'm sure we will know with a picture.--TV

11. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

No idea but can't wait to see a piccie!!!

12. zzford

zzford

Sounds like a Chevy Vega head to me.

13. flatoz

flatoz

an Aussie guy by the name of Andy Jenkins made a OHV head in the 80's that he sold the patterns to the US, I know he sold a few heads there too, could be one of his? I just can't remember what name he used on the head. He's still around and big into the DLRA here in Australia, if you look him up there he could tell you about it, so you could rule it out or in.

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

doing a little looking on bill smith's site it looks like there were a few manufacturers that fit your description of
    sohc, 8 ports, cross flow model A

green
    HAL
    litterio
    one "unknown" head

pretty much all that speedy bill has that matches the description

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I believe Andy's head was an "F" head, and he sold it as a "Dick".

someone in the 4ever4 club bought it.

Go to hotforhotfours, and ask Jim Brierly, he'll probably know all about it.

16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Until we see a photo, I'm going to assume it's a BMW 1600 Ti head - so there.

dj