Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 Continental 430

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikegm99, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Mikegm99

Mikegm99

Hey guys, Im mike, new to the forums. I landed here by searching for some info on my continentals 430. Im sure i could find all the info I need by searching through the forums, but after glancing at a few threads I see alot of knowledge so ill just ask.

Im looking to rebuild the engine in my restoration, it has only 48K original miles on it, but has been sitting for 20+ years. It is out now and ready to be rebuilt, but i want to find some performance parts, if they exsist. Nothing to extreme just a mild bump. Im not a huge motor guy so im not to sure where to start. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Mike

2. I did some stuff to a Merc 383 back in the late 60's. Had a Crane Cam and springs & bored .060 (if I remember right). Did a little head work but actually there's not much one can do with them and I doubt if there's much stuff around anymore for them. They were an odd ball motor and I don't remember anybody doin' any serious racin' with them. In the early days of tractor pullin' I think they were sort of popular there. They had a combustion chamber in the block like a 348-409 Chevy. I think if I wanted an increase in power to amount to anything I'd probably just drop a 460 in it.

3. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

4. 58custom

58custom

5. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

there is some things out there for them but its going to be kinda hard to find i know some intake manifolds are out there 3x2 2x4 maybe more and i know there is cams and some other little stuff but its not going to be easy to get a hold of and if you do find a place that has all the stuff let me know

6. Mikegm99

Mikegm99

I really considered dropping a 460 in it, But i really want to keep the original engine in it for my resto. I just wanted to squeeze alittle bit more from the 430 if i could easily.

Thanks to the rest of you for the links

Also looking to find a rear bumper and one piece of the upper trim to make the car complete

Mike

7. 58custom

58custom

Well, upgrading to the 462 MEL might help you, but you still have the problem of finding a decent cam or interesting induction. If you do want to think about a 460, look to the 1968 for mounts and such.

MEL intakes do appear on Ebay from time to time.

8. Look to Bakers Auto for anything like this. I was out there last year getting some parts for my 66. Wharehouses full of trim pieces and chrome. Give em a call.
    http://bakersauto.com/

9. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

There are no 2x4 intakes anywhere, but there is the 3x2 called either the 1958 Mercury Super Marauder tri power intake and the Edelbrock L-300 tri power intake. Both are aluminum and hard to find but right now there are a few out there. The Marauder one is a factory unit put in 400hp Mercs in '58. The Edelbrock is the same design and can have 3 or 4 bolt carb patterns but if it has the 3 bolt you can always have it drilled to fit 4 bolt carbs.

The best info I can give for the tri power is get the intake by itself. If someone has the factory Holley carbs you are looking at a $4500 set up! If it has the original polished air cleaner...$5,000-10,000!!! The Lincoln Super Marauder set up is the expensive one. Anyways, I just bought the Merc intake and incorrect holley carbs that were converted to tri power carbs by the previous owner.

If you go with the 462 (not a bad idea) then you might want the 430 heads so the intake ports match. The 462 has smaller ports. I have a '67 with a 462 so I just bought some 430 heads from a 59 Lincoln 430. An issue with carbs on the tri power is that you are limited to the Holley 2300 style only. You can use mopar carbs from the 6 pack mopars or 66 vettes. The 2300 styles are the best option due to hood clearance. The tri power is a taller intake so using traditional carbs like 2Gs will be too tall and require a hole in the hood. I have seen it as well and it looks good too if you are into that. Follow the MEL engine forum and thelincolnforum.net since there are tons of MEL fans and they can help you with most of your questions. I am building mine up so cruise through my posts if you'd like. There are Isly roller cams out there too for a little more umph.

By the way, a bare intake can cost around $500-600 and then carbs! I did this since I sold a lot of parts and just used that cash to buy the intake and carbs. Otherwise, an Edelbrock carb, pertonix ignition and coil were all I did to get some power and more reliability. Good luck!

Any questions or need help with locating info, let me know.