Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is this blower?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blownplymouthrat, Jan 26, 2009.

1. blownplymouthrat

blownplymouthrat
    from florida

i was wondering if the blower gurus can tell me what this blower is. i think it is off a detroit. is it good for anything?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Manic Mechanix

Manic Mechanix

The blower appears to be off of an 8V-71 or 6V-71 Detroit diesel. This was a 2 stroke V8/V6 diesel engine. The bearing plates on either end are interchangeable with the other "71" series blowers i.e 3-71,4-71 and 6-71. Which means you could use the blower drives and rear bearing plates from BDS and other companies to convert to gas applications. However, the mounting of the 8V-71 would be through a custom aluminum plate because these blowers mount different than the other inline 3,4,and 6 cylinder diesel blowers. Jeff

3. kiethkoupe

kiethkoupe

The blower in the photo is a 8v/71,you can i.d. what size they are off the side fixings. 6v has 2 fixings per side 8v`s have 3 three fixings per side.
    They also have a hole front and back that you can run a large bolt to hold them down ,ive been informed that a 6v/71 is rated the same as a 4/71 and so on, This im unshure of as ive only heard it word of mouth and not read it in print ,the vid is of my 6v/71 on my 302 cleveland ,the draw back of a V blower is that i havent found anyone that produces manifold or snouts for them so youve got to get the ally and file out and make your own lol
    [​IMG]

4. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

THIS BLOWER PICTURED IS A 4V8-71 OFF A LARGE CAT STATIONARY ENGINE! tHIS ENGINE HAD 2 BLOWERS ON IT. tHE FRONT BLOWER HAD A DRIVE COMING THRU THE REAR ENDPLATE DRIVING THE 2ND ONE.

I USED ONE OF THESE ON A PONTIAC 455 FOR YEARS, ITS SO DAWM BIG YOU AIN'T GOTTA TURN IT REALLY HIGH TO GET A LOT OF BOOST!

5. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Oh, let me add this before I foget about it, Yes, these were mounted on a large detroite, a VERY large one. Eithe a V-12 or a V-16, and then Cat had used them on the Big V's too. They are huge, and on the front, by the time you scoot the blower forward enough to clear your dist., you really have only several inches to make up your drive extension, which is really good for the bearings.

6. kiethkoupe

kiethkoupe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now this is a big blower lol

7. Wow, we are so far out of the common population of these parts, people who are into cars are asking what stuff is. I feel old.