Register now to get rid of these ads!

Polishing brass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by minchione, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Hey guys and gals, just wondering what the easiest way to polish brass is and can anyone tell me the process of doing so? What will i need, type of polish, high speed buffer ect.... Steve.

2. Depends how dull it is, and how shiny you want it. Just putting it in vinegar can clean it up.
    I would probably use a polishing mop and use similar compounds as you would for aluminium. Somebody will be able to tell you exactly which ones to use though, I am not a polisher by trade. Then finish up with some Brasso and a lot of elbow grease.
    You can laquer over the brass to keep the shine, but not sure how well it will hold up (heat, etc.)

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

When I have to sand down casting marks or get deep scratches out of brass.I use scotch bright disk takes it right out .Brass is usually very easy to buff out I use one compound green . I also have a 10 horse buffer .Good luck

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

non ferrous compound. If its real bad, like a new casting or something start with emery cloth and work your way down on the compoounds with a tight packed wheel (course/med/fine/) then switch to a new, loose packed wheel and more fine compound. then you can use some brass polish and a daiper and then wax and it'll shine like gold!

5. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Get two buffing wheels (Spiral Sewn and Loose Section); two tubes of Buffing Compound (Tripoli and White Rouge) you can get this stuff at eastwood.

6. noboD

noboD

Roadsters. com did an excellant tech about 2 -3 years ago on polishing. Do a search. It is gospel.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

BrassO works if its smooth very well,but to keep it looking good takes work,or a sealer after. :cool:

8. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

n e v e r - d u l l !

9. They are new castings, two windshield posts to be exact. they are a bit bumpy, meaning i think they are sand casted. So i guess i should sand down the bumps first then do the polishing thing, correct?

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

yep, Use emery cloth first, then work your way through the compounds and wheels

11. Dirk35

Dirk35

Yes, sand them smooth using finer grit sandpaper. Then get with a Soldier with more than a few years of service, and they will let you know that Brasso was the gospel until Nevr-Dull came out! That stuff is the Shit!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/GEO/GEODULL.html

12. Thanks guys appreciate all the help!

13. ccbb

ccbb

Cleaning:
    One of the best tricks to polishing (cleaning) brass is toilet bowl cleaner, yup that's right. If you have a Dollar store near by, pick up a quart or two of "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. It's in a white plastic bottle, about the size of a quart of oil, with a blue cap.

Pour the stuff over the part or soak (do this quickly) and then wipe it down under some running water. It only takes a few seconds. You can reuse the stuff also. Probably toxic, so use caution. Try a Scoth Brite for tough stuff then move onto any sanding and filing if needed. Next step is the bench top polishing wheel. I finish up with a liquid polish and then a polish type wipe on, dry, wipe off sealer.

The images show a part that was silver soldered, dipped in cleaner, sanded, buffed/polished. About an hour of time. Still needs some fine detail work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  14. Bull

Bull

I know this is an old thread, but we have some great products for polishing brass . . .
    You can use the Wizards Metal Polish or Metal Renew.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then follow it up with the Wizards Power Seal to protect against future corrosion.
    [​IMG]

You can apply our products by hand with a little elbow grease or check out our Metal Buffs that chuck up in your drill.
    [​IMG]

All of our products can be found on our site at www.WizardsProducts.com or call us at 800-356-7223. We can also help you find a dealer that carries Wizards Products in your area. See my signature for a HAMB discount too!

15. I just did some decorative bronze angle for a customer last week. We had milled the surface using the side of a new sharp end mill, so the finish was pretty good but had some chatter since the pieces were 12' long (yes, 12 feet). It was milled in a Cincinnati vertical CNC mill with 3 vises and the side doors taken off.

I draw-filed out 99% of it, followed up with red and gray scotch brite. Then I hit it with some Cintas hand soap on a shop rag.

It came out pretty good and it was going to be lacquered over at the job site after installlation. Any exposed brass, copper or bronze will oxidize so a clear coat is usually a must.

Bob

16. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Some toilet bowl cleaners are very acidic(usually oxalic acid). That can turn brass copper colored because it burns metals like zinc, tin, and aluminum out of the alloy. Fixing that mess requires completely removing all the damaged surface. So, if you use bowl clewaner, be careful about the product you use. Traditional burn your hands type paint stripper will do the same to the surface as acidic bowl cleaner.

Ammonia has traditionally been used to remove tarnish from brass. Both Never-Dull and Brasso contain ammonia. Never-Dull, Brasso, or metal polish will brighten up smooth but dulled brass. If the surface is rougher or more deteriorated, polishing and buffing will be needed to make it shiny.

17. cloned clown

cloned clown

I have used the toilet bowl cleaner method for polishing brass before and as strange as it sounds it does work. You do need to move fast though. Leaving the cleaner on too long (more than a few seconds) will bring out the copper.

18. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.