Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. karfer67

karfer67

as long as the frame is solid i bet if you subrame the car it will be fine

2. Gasserman

Gasserman
    from Tulsa OK

We put a new front frame under mine because the front unibody was shot. Most guys just tie the sub frames together and go for it.We also installed a 12 point roll cage. Here`s a picture of what we did on mine. Gasserman

Attached Files:

3. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Hey GASSERMAN very cool......what mill is in the car? What is you time in the 1/4?

4. Gasserman

Gasserman
    from Tulsa OK

I`m running a 351C into a Toploader 4 speed. The car has run as fast as 11.20`s with a mild small block in it. This motor is anything but mild. Gasserman

5. Gasserman

Gasserman
    from Tulsa OK

I forgot my other Falcon. It`s a`63 Futura one owner car. The owner`s son was building it as a show car out of it in the 80`s . And he quit in `85 when he got married. The motor was rebuilt bored & balanced with 3 1 barrels ,headers and a 3/4 race cam . The car was a factory 4 speed ,bucket seats and console. He also did the diamond tuck interior and chromed a lot of things . It is a pretty slick little car. I added the 4 lug Cragars SS and did a clean up on it . Still need to do the brakes. Gasserman

Attached Files:

6. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

This is my 5th 64-65 Falcon. In the 70's I had 2 64s. One with a nasty 289 with 2x4's on a cross ram manifold. the other was a Sprint that was metal flake black.

Now, I am into 65 wagons. This is my 3rd. The first is a 2dr I am saving for a while. This is my cruiser, former California vehicle. Lots left to do.......

5.0 EFI, AOD, stock rear, MII front end, A/C, PB, PW....cruiser.......:p

Attached Files:

7. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

It looks like you all are having so much fun. Killer projects!

8. Muttley

Muttley

That interior rules, it's exactly what I have planned for my Comet.

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i'm a bow tie fan,so i know very little about falcons. a friend just bought a 62? ranchero that is missing some of the brake mech on the rear wheels.(4 lug) springs and stuff. where can he order /get that from any help. i said springs, maybe wrong on that.i think he said it was some kind of hook that held brake shoes in place? i dunno.any ideas? need more info? lmk

10. You might be able to find stuff in the Help! section at auto parts stores. There are a few Falcon vendors (falconparts.com being one), and several Mustang and Ford vendors. There's probably some info in this thread. FlatTopBob is a H.A.M.B. Alliance Vendor and could probably sell you used parts. People here and on Falcon forums (TFFN.net being one) that have changed to 5-lug suspension might have old 4-lug stuff. I might have some. If you can get specifics I might be able to dig something up.

Thanks,
    Kurt

11. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

You can also get brake hardware kits from NAPA or equiv stores.

12. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I switched to a five lug set up, so I have the original 4 lug diff sitting in my backyard. Exactly what parts do you need? I needed the mounting flange off one of the axles so I cut up one side a bit but I think I can still find all the small parts in the pile.
    Peace

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i'll check with him and make sure .thanks

14. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

Hey all!

It's been a long winter so far, and I haven't gotten a thing done. I'm doing my first year of college this year, and money's not around for my old car.

Fortunatly, my daydreamer and schemer is still up and running.

Here's where I'm at now:
    [​IMG]
    1961 Tudor Deluxe

It has a 64' 260 V8 that I rebuilt this last summer. Runs and starts like a dream.

Right now I'm thinking on a tranny swap. The three speed manual's getting old, and I think it's about time to update it! For the short term, I think I'm just going to tear it apart, and look in to putting some new bearings in it, for the long term, I'm thinking T5.

Now there are a hundred threads on mating a T5 to anything, but I think we need a little T5 mating going on here in our falcon thread. First things first, I need an adapter to mate the tranny to my 5 bolt bellhousing. One of those can be found right here.

Then I need to mount said tranny in to the confines of said Falcon. I have a chunk of a big ol' Buick tranny tunnel that I think will do the job just fine of giving the T5 a little more room under the falcon. Meanwhile, the stock crossmember underneath lies right in the way of the T5 shifter. That will be removed and fabricated in one fashion or another. As far as the mount, one of those could easily be welded or the C4 mount for a falcon can actually be used as well.

Once it's in, I will need a shorter drive shaft. I'm hoping to possibley source a mustang one that will fit the bill, rather than spending the money to have mine shortened. Throw on the correct splined yoke, and we're ready to rock in 5 gears! Of course, I still need to source the correct T5! My first swap meet of the year is in April, so I have quite awhile to daydream yet.

Check out this 5 bolt 289 with the T5:
    [​IMG]

And that's what I'm gathering parts for. My plan is to have the drive train done, updated, ready to run for about the rest of my life, and then I'll worry about other stuff.

Once I finally finish college, and move out on my own in the world, I'm going to completly tear it back down, and make it perfect (for me). It's my very first car, and I plan on having it forever, so it's definitly worth it.

Lastly, after my tranny swap I'm going to begin looking in to a rear diffy. I have no clue as to the current state of mine, but it doesn't make any noise and the wheels still turn. I think the gearing is like 3.1 or something, whatever was stock in a 64' falcon wagon. Behind my 260/T5 setup, what would you suggest for a rear end/rear end gearing?

Hope everyone is having a more productive winter than I am,

Gayl

15. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Gayl,
    That's a spiffy wagon...it kinda looks like mine (shown here being painted)....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rob

16. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

For the rear, I would suggest a maverick 8 inch,or a 7.5 from a Ford Ranger. 8 inch rears from Mustangs are too wide. For the gearing, that would depend on your tire diameter and the ratio in fifth gear. Probably somewhere in the 3.3 or 3.5 range as a guess.
    I'm totally digging your project.
    I put a T-five behind 302 I have another car in it just bolted right up.
    I'm not sure what's different about the 260.
    Happy motoring :)
    Ghost cruiser:
    sweet man! Getting some paint on your bird. Looks great- :)

17. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

These are a couple of months old...I gotta shoot some new ones, and upload them here!;)
    Rob

18. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

Rob,

Lookin' Good! It's amazing how a little paint completely changes the character of a car.

In the future I want to put my trim back on, I just couldn't afford the various special clips and screws that hold it on. I'm thinkin' candy apple red when I tear it down in the future. Those pipes I'll replace with a smaller, more traditional looking pipe, Then I'll see about lowering it down a couple of inches. I'll get my bumper's chromed, media blast the rims and paint them candy apple to match the car, so I just have that chrome center cap. I'd like to do the caddy taillight treatment. Electric rear window, sterio, the list goes on and on of small projects. I could work on this thing forever :D
    About 5 or 6 more years and I'll have the time, space, and opportunity.

Falconizer,

The 260 block is set up for a different bellhousing (5 bolt) where the 302 block is set up for a 6 bolt bellhhousing which is completely compatable with the T5. Thats ford for ya though, always changin' stuff around; mid year even! (64 1/2 mustang) ha!

Gayl

19. karfer67

karfer67

20. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

karfer, that's pretty sick! Is that the in-line you have in there? I can't remember if you ever posted pictures of your motor. It's double bad ass if that's a six...
    sounds good.

21. karfer67

karfer67

yes it is a 6 it is a 200 with a big valve head, single carter 1 bbl, stock cam stock internals, stock exhaust manifold into a long straight tube going into a long stainless glasspack that exits before the rear axle. the muffler was actually a harley muffler that was given to me and i dont think it has any fiberglass inside it at all lol. has electronic ignition, and an 8" 3.73 rear end.

[​IMG]
    this is a pic of her at billetproof07 and you can sorta see the engine. only change from there is i put a chrome valve cover on that leaks :rolleyes:

22. Big Russ

Big Russ

Hi Guys, I'm well impressed with the work you blokes are doing on your Falcons. A few of you have mentioned tieing the sub-frame together. Is there a post on doing this as I can't get my head around it without some pics. (Thick head).

Photo is of my drag project. Thanks for the inspiration guys!

Attached Files:

23. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Ties the front and rear sub frames together. This is the underside of my wagon. I used ones from Crites.

65-198.jpg

65-202.jpg

65-204.JPG

24. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

[​IMG]

These are the subframe connectors that I made. They also tie into the rocker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. pikesan99

pikesan99

Love to see so many cool falcon wagons!!

26. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Does anyone know if the 10 x 2 Mustang rear drum brakes bolt up to the Rangers 7.5 inch diff? I'm ready to take all of my rear suspension parts into the powder coating place, and realized I need backing plates before I can put the rear end back together...
    also, what would be a good source for Mustang drum brake stuff? I don't have any of the parts...
    peace

27. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

28. Big Russ

Big Russ

Thanks for the gaff on sub-frames fellas. Being a ute it almost has a full length sub already by the looks of it, as it goes within 6" of the rear sub-frame. I am going to fit a x-member to tie it together at the rear. Would it pay to also seam weld these sub-frames to the body also?
    Thanks again :D

29. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Hey do you have a five lug rear axle already? What size rear tires?

Assuming a 25" tall rear tire and using the 3.35 1st gear T5 a 3.00 or 3.25 rear gear would give spirited performance. Even a 2.75 would be fine, most 87-93 Mustang GT's had a 2.73 or 3.08 with 26" tall rear tires and they were probably slightly heavier than yours. Get the better late 91-93 V8 T5. You can use the S10 tailhousing to move the shifter forward. Moderndriveline.com has Falcon T5 conversion parts.

30. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

What do you guys run for a dual reservoir master cylinder? I read that Ford Rangers from the mid 80's have aluminum ones that weight next to nothing and work great. Any experience?