Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Insane road trip to WI in January, a HAMB journey.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Jan 25, 2009.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Who in their right mind would travel to Wisconsin in January to buy a roadster? Me, of course. It all started when I was sitting at home minding my own business in the unusually warm 62 degree weather and I get a PM from my pal bobwop in WI about the 1950 Chevy truck me and Cuzzindeke had for sale in the Hamb classifieds. He asked me if I wanted to trade for anything on his online inventory of very cool cars. Hell, I liked them all but one in particular caught my eye. Fun looking little modified roadster with a six banger. Just what I had been thinking about getting. So a deal was struck through a series of PM's with Bob and I call Dick (Cuzzindeke) to see if he wanted to go to the Great White North with me. We were kind of stuck in a rut here at home and were bored anyway so he agreed some time away from our wives would be good for them (and us). Maybe they would realize what great husbands they had if they had to get by without us a couple of days. Leaving home at 4 am on Friday driving east thru Kansas and entering the State of Missouri turning north at Kansas City where we ran into a strong head wind of frigid North wind that did manage to slow us down some. Then on to Iowa with visions of a good lunch of baked potato soup and club sandwiches at my favorite place "The Iowa Machine Shed" kept us happy. Always a great place to stop with a few locations in the Midwest. Then we crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois for a couple hours of more North and East driving until reaching the Wisconsin state line. Getting dark by then we did reach our destination of Jefferson, WI by about 6PM or so. Waiting for us at his nice collector car dealership was the always friendly bobwop. After unloading and loading the new car and checking out his current inventory of cool stuff (sorry it was too dark to take photos) we headed for his nearby home where the weather outside was SUPER COLD with DEEP SNOW. His lovely girlfriend Carla was waiting inside with a really nice homemade dinner fit for a King (Bob) and guests. That meal included ham, broasted potatoes, corn, cranberries and etc. Topped off with a nice warm apple-cranberry crisp fresh out of the oven. They even put us up for the night after watching the cult classic movie "Hot Rod" which even included a 50 Olds drag car in one scene which Bob currently owns. He is also building a 42 Willys gasser coupe that is just like the one featured in the movie. After a good night sleep we were up and on the road again at 4 AM Saturday morning.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Getting pulled over in Illinois by the State Patrol for speeding at 6 am in the many degrees minus zero weather was not fun but the nice officer said he liked the cool car on the trailer and asked alot of questions about it and was friendly and let me go with a warning to slow it down. That was real generous of him since I was going 71 in a 55 zone. He is my new favorite cop. The rest of the trip was good with no problems just cold and never warming up until we hit Kansas City for some BBQ ribs at Arthur Bryants cafeteria. That kept us alive until arriving home where our poor lonely wives were thrilled to see us return as their heroes. Ok, I made that last part up. I'm not real sure they had noticed we were even gone. Anyway, it was a great weekend and it all happened thanks to the Hamb message board. Thank you to our great hosts Bob Cattelino and Carla Robinson. Here is a photo of our new car which should be a fun little ride. You can also check at Bob's other cars for sale here:http://topnotchvehicles.com/

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  3. Bull

Bull

That car was built by HAMBer flatheadpete and was for sale here not too long ago. Looks like fun!

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Great story and cool addition to your stable! Bundle up and go drive it!

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks for all your kind words, Paul. Carla and I enjoyed having you and Dick. I appreciate the honesty of doing business with you and it seems you feel the same. The truck is just what you said it would be. By the way, the Olds is actually a 1950, not that it matters.

If anybody else wants to treat me as fairly and honestly as Paul did, the hospitality will be our gesture of gratitude. Don't be bashful to jump on our site mentioned by Paul and do some shopping.

At least the truck has a cab and a warm heater!!!! Below zero again today.

Oh, almost forgot to mention, your little hotrod roadster was in the recent Hot Rod Magazine article about the Hunnert Car Pileup. It was in the background of a photo taken of a very nice gold A with a hemi.

6. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Paul:

You were only about 3 hours south of Casa De B:DB K. But that's Ok as I wasn't there anyway, I was in Illinois rescuing MR. Bones from his captor.

B:)B

7. Nice ride Paul !! When can we take her for a spin ?? >>>>.

8. FuelFC

FuelFC

Nice deal and good story as well. Denise would have drove that home. :)

9. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Funny. Try living here.

10. #### Yeah you let a little COLD WEATHER stop you !!!! >>>>.

11. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

cool story, neat little modified.

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I DID once for 2 years. Loved every minute of it. Had a comfy inside job milking cows where it never got cold. 20 years ago........

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Yes Bruce, I wish I was as tough as you out riding a snowmobile for hours at a time. Oh wait a minute! You've got heated hand grips and a built in ball sack warmer!!! WTH? I can't compete with that!

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Bob, I figured you were in SO Cal again for the roadster show. I will be closer to your neck of the woods in July for the Iola swap meet. I love WI in the summer.

15. That sure is a fine looking jalopy!

16. Yeah! Mr. Bones gets to go out and play with his fellow Hambers this year. BOB K. is the man. :)

17. ****@$@$ ---- You know me roughing it every inch of the way. Now get that car out and let's go for a spin >>>>.

18. Balmy Single Digit temps = Roadster weather!!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  19. Did you have yours out?

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man, I sure do miss havin' a hot rod. Better get to work on the next pile of sheetmeatl and cromoly!
    Take care of it but at the same time, beat it up! Afterall, it is the Peter Beater!

21. At least you didn't have a few hundred miles of ice and snow like my son (who has never seen enough snow to spit on) and I when we went to CO last Feb. to get my Victoria. 4WD all the way across CO and 3/4 of the way across KS on I-70, slippin' and slidin' ..

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

If I still had this one, it would've been out today!

23. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I did not realize I had bought the famous "Peter Beater" until now. I feel very lucky. It looks well built.

flatheadpete likes this.
  24. Jaker

Jaker

It wouldn't surprise me if he did!!!!!!!

neat car Poverty

25. ####----Holy shit that makes it even better yet !! I'll bring my Ball-Sack Warmer and we can go for a spin !! Better wait till Tuesday night as it's supposed to SNOW !!! >>>>.

26. RichG

RichG

BBQ ribs, mmmmmmmm....

27. Abomination

Abomination

I want a ball sack warmer. :(

~Jason

28. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Why do think Bob K. has that beard? It ain't for looks...Yeah, it gets a little cold up here this time of year, and this year is a record year. But , when you get a nice fire going, and some cool brewskis, the garage is the place to be. It keeps the ole lady in the house, too.........

29. WHAT the hell ...all you can talk about is ball sack warmers ...your missing the big picture...MR bones has been set free !!!! its time to party and have a ticker tape parade for him !!!!!