Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage etiquette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Jan 23, 2009.

1. duste01

duste01

I dont even like other people in my house let alone around my cars. I'm not very trusting any more. I wont even allow the kids to bring other kids in the house, every time they do the house gets broke into. I was raised to treat others stuff better than my own though. I can guarantee you the golden rule is a terrific tool, when in perspective. I am more than willing to help anyone, but I usually looks for very particular things in someone that I ask to help me. I have rules and respect is at the top of the list, followed by skill.

2. 29paul

29paul

hhhmmmm do I want your help on my firewall:D

3. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I have very few rules Because I usually ask close friends or family for help when need.
    Mostly help me clean up when we are done working and if you just stop by b/c you see me working on the car I'm going to put your ass to work!

4. SuperDan

SuperDan

no smokin, no arguing , don't put your foot on anything but the ground, if your afraid of work , your at the wrong garage, when my wife enters , you shutup and respect her, or look for someone to take you to the hospital, this is serious stuff when she's in the garage. I've been married once , for 39 years, my friends understand the rules, the others aren't friends. We have a lot of friends, Dan :)

SlamIam likes this.
  5. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I LIKED badger's RULES.....I WILL GO WITH HIM.............

6. IUSETABE

IUSETABE
    from Pad 3

I quit letting people drop in and look at my stuff.I believe that my stuff doesn't need to be explained to every uninformed twit who says "whats that".
    I threw a guy that heard about my shop out the door when he showed up drunk and butted out his smoke by grinding it out under his boot on my new epoxy floor.Since then its by referral only.
    Don't "drop by"

Larry

SlamIam likes this.
  7. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

Wow!! Some interesting comments!!

Im pretty easy, i never ask for help, ill figure out a way by myself. But ill help any time im asked. Not many rules at my shop other than dont be a douch!!If your new then definatly dont be a douch, cause you will get hurt.

Be nice to my wife cause she will hurt your feelings!! she`s real witty and If your not real secure in your manhood, she will make you cry.

Other than that be cool and have a good time!

And if you screw my dog, it will get posted on youtube!

8. 1. Please bring a clean garage with you as mine is so full of s#it that I can't even walk thru it.
    B. Disreguard No. 1 and I'll just come use your garage.
    3. Your tools are more than likely nicer than mine, so feel free to bring them. Mine are easily recognized by the blood and skin that I left on them the last time I worked on my POS.
    4. I wouldn't wave anything around my dog that even slightly resembles a hot dog.
    5. Feel free to have beer or soda in your garage waiting for me. I like both my beer and my soda cold and in glass bottles.
    6. If I lose a tool, you will be blamed for stealing it until I find where I layed it down. (This process could take years. Keep in mind that you are not at fault, but I will blame you nonetheless.)
    7. NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED NEAR MY S#IT WITHOUT A TENUS SHOT!

9. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I usually don't solicit help, except from my boys (18 & 23) who are in "training" :D The 23 yr old lives in CO so I don't get his help much anymore.

If I do have a grage day - I usually invite numerous friends and ask everyone to bring their cars or bikes. I love the effect this has on my neighbors. We usually don't wrench and I supply beer and snacks.

If I do need specific help (i.e. body removal/replacement, etc...) I supply beer and pizza after the work is done.

10. dannyego

dannyego

1.Bring extra smokes (ill run out)
    2.Bring extra beer (ill run out)
    3.Bring extra tools(my tool collection is growing because everyone forgets them)
    4.Pee in my neighbors yard
    5.Take what you need if you need any of my spare parts(the tools you left in my garage are probably worth it in trade)

11. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

I think i just found a new set of rules:D

12. Here in Canada you must stop at Timmy Hos on the way and bring at least some of the worlds best coffee. If I am helping you and you dont send someone for a pizza I aint ever comin back. Dont touch my stuff. Even today i had a friend over and he is taking the cap off the rad in my dragster to see if i drained it. If I wasnt the only friend in the world he has I would have sent him packing. He inspects everything I am doing and has some smart ass comment about it. I ignore him and go on working. Finally he goes away. I say that to say this "Dont touch my stuff." If I ask someone for help and they actually come (which is very rare since most have them have had a granny die right then about 15 times and just arent able to make even though I may have spent days helping them out of a jam a week or so before. ) I would not want them to bring any tools. If I ask ya to help i expect ya to use my stuff. Also know that if your helping me we are gong out for lunch and I am buying. if we are working on something for you dont forget your wallet cause itis your turn. No boose ever in my shop or at my place. Please dont smoke. i dont and I hate seeing butts on the ground or the floor when your gone. If i wanted butts all over my property I would put them there myself.

13. junk fiend

junk fiend

i got like $200 worth of crushed cans stolen out of my backyard because one of my hooligan friends brought some sketchy guy over without me knowing.

14. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

no booze. when i want to drink i go to the bar. old habit from race car days, didnt want a drunk working on my race cars. when i am at some one else,s place i try to be the helper not the leader.

15. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

If ya don't drink as much BEER as me, Stay in your own Fuckin Garage!

16. solid

solid

If i'm there to help them, i'm in the toolbox, under the hood, under the car, in the car, workin. I figure if they dont like what i'm into they will tell me. I dont drink to many beers until the job is done(completely, or for the night) unless it's hot, and it's ice cold cooler beer(like when the cooler water is like a slush) then you can drink beer for the entire said job. You never yell at their kids, or their dog(no matter how hard the f*#king nut is to get threaded) you never ogle their old lady unless you are really good pals, or she is super hot, then you can look, but not stare(totally different) wait to wash your hands until you get home, his old lady has enough trouble with his grubby paws. No more than four pieces of pizza, or 4 cheese coneys(depending on what was closest to the parts place)....that pretty much sums it up....

17. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

bring snacks and beer, tolerate my kids and be willing to let them "help" you. if you're new, don't tell me how I should, or should have done something. Cigarette ashes and butts in the ash trays, wipe shit off and put it away. Clean up when done, talk too much shit and I'll call you out, much more, you ain't comin back. steal something from the shop or farm, well, i gotta lot of land and some deep unmarked cisterens.

18. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

need to add, have the manners to come up to the house and have dinner with the family as well, you're a guest here.

19. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Pretty much a solo act when I am working on my car. Heavy lifting I call on my son and my grandsons. Don;t mess with the dog unless you want to lose an arm.

20. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Rules for my garage
    1.Don't tell me more than twice that I have too much stuff or what I need to sell.
    2. If you don't like the way I'm doing something, then do it yourself. This is related to don't do any half a##ed work on my car - I WILL find it.
    3. If you're angry or injure yourself don't throw a violent fit like a 5 year old.
    4. No smoking, no drinking, no whizzing in my yard.
    5. Stay out of my house unless I invite you.
    6. Do not tell me that I need to euthanize my cats (suprisingly, I get this one a lot.) This is related to don't pick up or harass my cats.
    7. No you can't borrow my tools, but I'll use them to help you.
    8. Lastly don't fart on me or in my general direction.

21. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Man, there are a bunch of guys out there that really make a guy feel welcome in their garage :rolleyes: haha.

I forgot one from my other list;
    If I have a spare part and you need it, it's yours. Just remember to pay it forward.

22. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I will list my rules of etiquette according to who is hosting the work being done. And on a side bar - if you're just coming over to hang out in my garage then some of this may or may not apply.

If you are bringing your shit to my garage for work - you better be willing to work late and get as much done as possible. Keeping all of your junk in another man's garage is as bad as sleeping at the foot of his bed. You're fucking up his natural vibe dude....

If I am bringing my shit to your place to work on I will work like a goddamn coal miner to get the shit done - so if I am staying later than you hoped - KICK MY ASS OUT so that you and your family can be together or get your well deserved rest.

If I am hosting work for my ride, I will try my hardest to provide all the comforts that I can without buggin my wife for too much.

If I am at your place doing work - I probably won't ask for much, even when offered - and I will feel like I owe you one after the work is done.

....okay that's enough to let you know how the rest of this all works. I think you can see the pattern.

~Broman

23. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

great post,my number 1 rule is dont spit on my floor or driveway,cause when i put my hand in it yer gettin a wrench down the side of you sh&$t!!!!

24. Algon

Algon

Basically, I think there is a difference between stopping by to BS and actually having someone come over to do something for you. I'd tolerate more from a helper than an observer but even so, in someone else's garage you should still be respectful.

Leaning on cars pisses me off, regardless of what stage the car is in. Aswell as the type that grab things off the wall or are rough with things even if they do ask. These type of people are the reason this stuff is rare to start with... 50 year old magazines are still here because of people that don't tear through them like they're hunting a crack rock. Otherwise my garage is a garage, no fancy flooring or painted border stencils. Colorful language is expected, and promoted, you are not going to shock anyone around here.

With a few exceptions I generally don't trust anyone, and even fewer who don't drink. If you are at my place the idea is to have a good time and maybe cut something old or rare in half. There will be cigars and bourbon , as a given but if you are not into that its cool, I just don't want hear your thoughts on why its wrong, "no thanks" works just fine. If it runs on for a long time pizza always works and we can always dig out the slot cars. Bringing alcohol with you is always a bonus.

25. Get a tetanus shot. Otherwise make your self at home.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  26. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I never exactly thought about official "garage rules" before, I suppose these are the rules that work for me right now, but I have never written them down.... I think I will make a sign...

I ended up making 10 rules, but everything can really be summed up by following rules 1, 2, and 5, the rest have to be spelled out for people who cant follow rule #2...

1. No one gets hurt...
    2. Don't be a dumb ass... (see rule #1)
    3. Fire can be useful, but it is not my friend, (see rules 1 & 2)....
    4. Everyone uses eye protection when grinding etc. (see rules 1 & 2)....
    5. Don't piss me off... (see rules 1 & 2)....
    6. Put my tools back, clean. (see rule 5)...
    7. Clean your mess, (see rule 5)...
    8. If you ain't here to work, stay out of my way, and STFU. (see rule 5)
    9. TAKE YOUR SHIT HOME, or I WILL get rid of it. (see rule 5)
    10. If you bring it, you will work on it "right now", not "when you get the chance". (see rule 5)

27. I have a few:

1. If you take out a tool, put it away. Treat it like your own.
    2. Clean any tools and machines if you dirty them up. Treat them like your own.
    3. Replace any consumables or materials that you use, or dont ever come back.
    4. Roll up the air hose or extension cords. Treat them like your own.
    5. Sweep up and clean your work place like it was your own house.
    6. Safety glasses must be worn when using any air/power tools.
    7. Suggestions are welcome, keep your comments to yourself
    8. If you break a tool or machine - replace it or dont come back

and

9. Helping: is just that - Rebuilding your car or project cost money.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  28. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

1. Dont ask to use the lathe
    2. Dont ask to use the valve grinder
    3. Dont ask to use the welder
    4. No Spitting inside
    5. Smoking itside is OK but only when the doors are open and butts AND ashes so in the butt bucket
    6. BYOB and a few for me
    7. If you bring your dog or kid, baby sit them yourself.
    8. No cats allowed
    9. If you want to bring a friend I dont know, call ahead, Of course unless she's real hot looking and dont have a loud mouth. Dont forget the beer.
    10. Dont break any rules
    11. Oh Yeah, no ones allowed to be a bigger ass hole then me!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  29. Spedley

Spedley

1. I'm the boss.
    2. Its always 4:20 in my garage. Deal with it, or too bad.
    3. I like to swear, and do, lots. dont like it? See ya!
    4. If you use it, put it away clean. I can tell you where it goes, and you can tell from how my tools are placed in my box, I'm ocd about it, you should be too.
    5. If you brought food, I want a bite.
    6. Its called a beer, and its in the fridge.... Grab me one while your in there too!
    7. I know its a mess, and I have too much shit in there.... So what? Keep it to yourself.
    8. Did you bring smokes? Share.
    9. If you have any questions, refer to No. 1.

30. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Spitters...............and their bottles, wonder if they bag their crap too?:cool:

1. Leave your tools at home there are plenty here to get us in trouble

2.Fridge is fair game, I stock it as a way of saying thank you..(dont touch my tea)

3.If your standing around with your hands in your pockets while all the works going on,you can bet you'll get asked if there are bottoms in them.

4.I dont even bring the pooch any more.

5. When the night is coming to a close grab a broom, dont tell every one you have panties to wash for work in the morning.:D