Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lokar vs. Gennie ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod30a, Jan 22, 2009.

1. hotrod30a

hotrod30a

I'm looking for a shifter for a TH350 trans. Just curious what you recommend. Lokar or Gennie? Thanks

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i've always favored the lokar.just my preference.

3. e z i

e z i

I like the Lokar I put in my GMC. It works well, and has been trouble free....

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Lokar ! They have great shifters and they are first class !

5. BadLuck

BadLuck

6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

i have a lokar in my 58, never had any problems with it

7. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I've always liked the Gennie's because of the way the detent works. There is no button or cable in the shift knob it just slides over and pull back. Makes it easier to add a cool or different shift knob. Gary

8. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I just put a Gennie in my buick also had one in my model A love them both
    I like that you can put anything on for a knob with the Gennie the Lokar is a little harder to find a cool knob

just my 2cent's

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Gennie, hands down. If you've ever put up with a Lokar's "little" irritations you'd know why Gennie sells so many shifters. Read the previous posts about this subject.

Frank

10. thesupersized

thesupersized

i have never installed either, but used both in other people's cars that i've drove, a gennie in one car...and a lokar in 3 other cars, and i liked the gennie better than all 3 of the lokars, reasons being i dont like button you have to push on the lokars, the gennie seemed smoother, and and the easiness of changing the knob on a gennie..

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

The same thing happened to me with my Lokar recently.....

12. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

you can use any knob you want on a lokar and do away with the button.just push down on the knob...it works good and doesn't hang up like the old button.lokar has an adapter .

13. BadLuck

BadLuck

I was wondering if that would help...good to know, thanks...

14. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

That's funny because I have a Lokar in my 42 pickup and had a Gennie in one of my F-100s and I like the Lokar because of the detent button. I bumped my shifter and my F-100 slipped right into park - while i was rolling down the freeway! The safety on the Lokar has kept me from doing the same in my 42...

15. boxstr

boxstr

Always used Gennie, they look good and the knob selection is impressive.

16. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Gennie gets my vote based on what others ahead of me said about both in the pros and cons before I got my Gennie. No adapter needed to use any shifter knob. More side to side through the gates than Lokar, but I feel a better sense of gate position in it. Both are good for their own reasons. I just settled on Gennie after asking around about both in use and am very happy with it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  17. Gennie. For all the same reasons already given.

18. cretin

cretin

I have a gennie, my dad has a lokar. I like the gennie way better. I know alot of people have complained about the gennie shifting by itself when hitting bumps because of no button, but it's really easy to tighten up the shifter so that doesn't happen.

19. Yep, had both several times and both fine products but...........well the Lokar's do have the slight rattle of the cable in the stick and what used to be the "handle limitations" now figured out, but also must confess to the day of running my t-bucket thru the "gears" with my Gennie and hitting a bump on the 2-3 shift and getting a face full of windshield! Oh yeah, good times when all time stops and the thoughts of what the @?!&* just happend to bring me to this moment in time! Yeah, the Lokar would have been more difficult for that to have happend! Doh!!!!!!!!!

20. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

21. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Another vote for Gennie. Nice quality shifter!

22. rusty48

rusty48

I got a Lokar,had no problems,if you want a different knob it'll cost about $25 for adapter.

23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

They even have an oldie hit song about them..."Gennie,gennie,gennie-won't you shift along with me? Gennie,gennie,oooh,gennie,gennie!" They have to be good,eh?

I ain't happy with my L#kar at all....It rattles.

24. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Dingdingding we have a winner!

Had a Lokar and tried to adjust it. checked out a Gennie at a car show.

world of difference. I recommend you try both before buying.

25. Finktim

Finktim

I've got the Gennie in my coupe, been using it for 9 years daily with no problems. I like being able to have kool shift knobs too without the push button! (I did dump the nuetral safety switch, theres pro and cons of doing that too....:D) Mine has never popped out of gear.

26. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

27. Fogger

Fogger

I've had a Gennie emergency brake setup in my coupe since '84. Very good product with service and parts availability. Gennie has been around a long time and has an excellent reputation. The FOGGER

28. paintcan54

paintcan54

I took out my Lokar, and put in a B&M, Lokar not good in T-Buckets. Adjust it and still kept bounching into second gear detent would not hold it in gear, put in a B&M no more problems. Good shifters if used in the right cars, not for T-Buckets

29. Missing Link

Missing Link

I have a Gennie and I dig it. I like the aesthetics of the Gennie swan shifter better than the Lokar also.

My application required a shifter that mounts to the bosses on the trans case and not the tail piece. Lokar doesn't/didn't offer that option.

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I hate my Lokar. What a waste.