Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Chrysler and Fiat - Will it Work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the-rodster

the-rodster

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Disaster waiting to happen:eek:

3. Anderson

Anderson

4. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I don't see a future for it

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

who knows in todays market..but the banks sure aint going to help em and neither is the government..so cant blame them for trying

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I never thought American Auto manufacturers selling little foriegn cars with thier name on them was a good idea. what does Chevy sell??? mitsubishi's ?? if I'm going to buy a foriegn car I'll just get a toyota, no need to put a chevy bowtie on it.

7. Sure, Chrysler is not broke. Their sales are down but so are all the companies and Toyota being one who is also hurt despite the medias attempt at selling cars for them through the news. The news media which is the #1 enemy of the North American car companies who keep talking about Big gas guzzling SUVs while I am driving a 40+ mpg (imp) Pt Turbo Gt and Ford and Gm have cars in this range and better as well. Warranties are better than they have been in years. Meanwhile Americans and Canadians keep buy Aisan brands of cars and some European ones as well and then wonder why their grandchildren cant find a job. Hard to feel sorry for them. Fiat and Chrysler? Two major companies. Makes more sense than Gm and Chrysler. I know all the Chevy boys were standing behind their garages hoping for a hemi. Nice try guys but no cigar. ;>). It is the traitors who destroy a country , not always the enemy

8. Gravel

Gravel

Seems to be a match made for the wrong reasons. Given that Fiat's world market is spotty at best, it seems like yet another poorly managed decision by Chrysler.

Both Chevy and Ford have made similar decisions, but their choices of who to partner up with were based on companies with strong world markets.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

The Aveo is a Daewoo, which is owned by GM.

10. wc chopper

wc chopper

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  11. the-rodster

the-rodster

GM spent 2 billlion to partner with Fiat in 2000, then spent another 2 billion to get out of the deal in 2005.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

They're trying stuff 10 lbs of dung into a 5 lb bag.
    US loser plus European loser equals ????

13. Gravel

Gravel

14. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

It could work, it depends on what they do. Fiat owns Alfa, Lancia and Ferrari. There has been talk of Alfa wanting to come back to the US for some time. The hookup with Chrysler gives them an existing distribution and dealer network. Fiat could bring some of their cars also, like the 500. Fiat has lots of experience with smaller platforms and small diesel engines. On the flip side, Fiat has a worldwide presence that Chrysler doesn't so they could distribute certain Chrysler products (like Jeep) to markets Chrysler isn't in now. Back in the K-car days I think Fiat made the alloy cylinder heads for Chrysler. If they are smart and play to each others strengths, it could work.

Or, it could blow up in their faces and end up a giant miasmic pile of crap.

Kurt O.

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Seems like a match made in HEAVEN!

Can't lose! No, REALLY, gubment says so!!

16. 49coupe

49coupe

"They are hoping that the can bring the Fiat 500 over here and hope that it will gain cult status like the bug or mini did plus they have electric version"

Based on BMW's Mini sales, they might have a shot at it with the Chrysler dealership network. But given the problems Saturn dealerships had servicing SAABs, I think it may make sense for FIAT strategically, but it will be a disaster once implemented. Something as simple as lack of a common parts ordering and diagnostic system will be a problem. Oh, and everything is metric, so you'll need new tools.

I actually really like the new FIAT 500, but the last time FIATs and PEUGOTs were sold in Canada the salt turned them into piles of scrap in 3-4 years. But the 500 is the first FIAT anyone was wanted in decades, so what happens after the novelty wears off?:confused:

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Oh my gawd, what if the suits get it backwards and put Fiat motors in their 300s and Magnum wagons?! Ooops.

18. Gravel

Gravel

The Fiat 5000 is a niche market, Chrysler needs to move beyond niche market cars and start gaining mass appeal again.

Sure it may sell hot and heavy in certain countries, but if you were to look at the general market of those countries, it is easy to understand why.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I can see it all laid out like a roadmap........Fiat and Alpha Romeo will enter nascar with a gay grand prix driver with a funny accent and moustache and hilarity will ensue.

Then Tony Stewart's team will get lured over and they'll have this awesome FIAT/Home Depot Fix It Again Tony ad campaign.

Oh man it's gonna be great

20. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

NOW your thinking like a wall-street executive! Good job, go ahead and write yourself another $ billion dollar bonus check! :rolleyes:

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they used to sell some other brand. my friend drives one. Suzuki maybe?

22. 49coupe

49coupe

On the other hand, if they start putting the 5.7 HEMI in Alfas things could get pretty interesting. They weren't actually bad cars as long as you didn't drive them when it was cold, wet or on salted roads.

23. the-rodster

the-rodster

Alfa does make some sexy new sheetmetal.....

[​IMG]

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That is probably closer to the truth. As is, the big 3 don't have a chance in hell of meeting the proposed fuel economy standards.

25. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

What about Japanese badged vehicles made by Americans? LIke say the Mazda Tribute?

26. 4tford

4tford

Chrysler needs to get more into the world market. This could work if it is done right. So far it has not happened with Mercedes or Renault maybe the third time it gets done right.

27. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

ya I was thinking the same thing put out one of these like they did the PT cruiser !

28. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Sure it will work. Two losers teaming up has ALWAYS been a successful combination.

-Brad

29. Its a no lose for Fiat, they get access to US dealership network for their cars. If it doesn't work out they are first in line to steal the Jeep brand and walk away for pennies.

30. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

This thread's one I was expecting not to show up here but I've been on both Chrysler and Fiat web sites and each group is ranting about how the other partner is going to ruin the company of their choice.

Personally I like both of them and would like to see it work out. Not that I'm much of a new car guy (most new cars have soul of a cheap coffeemaker) but both Fiat and Chrysler have offered up some cars that at least caught my attention in the last few years. And, since I am not going to drive one of my old cars to Mexico everyday I wouldn't mind having some car like a 500 to drive.

I've obviously had a bunch of Fiats and they are pretty good cars when you compare them to similar cars from the same time (they all rusted like crap in the 70s).

All carmakers are royally screwed right now and I'd expect about half of them won't be around when this is all over.

About the only interesting comment I found amid all the ranting was this, which to me speaks alot of truth:

Editorial from The Truth About Cars web site:

By Robert Farago
    January 20, 2009 -

Breaking news: Fiat has just signed a “non-binding term sheet” with ChryCo. The
    Italian automaker will acquire a 35 percent interest in Chrysler for… nothing.
    No cash. No assets. Niente. And yet the Chrysler - Fiat deal comes complete with
    the United Auto Workers’ (UAW) blessing. It’s a nice thought: a global alliance
    to pull Chrysler’s fat from the fire, save the taxpayer’s bacon and uncook the
    UAW’s golden goose. But there’s zero chance of Fiat riding to the rescue of
    Chrysler. It’s just another part of Chrysler’s Big Lie.

Adolph Hitler said The Big Lie was effective because most people “would not
    believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously.
    Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their
    minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may
    be some other explanation.” In this case, the lie is the idea that Chrysler is a
    viable automaker.

The fact that the company is utterly bankrupt without any chance of recovery is,
    obviously, besides the point. As long as there is hope that Chrysler has a
    future, the general public and their fear-mongering elected representatives will
    cling to the fiction that Chrysler can– indeed should– continue to exist.

To perpetuate that myth, to protect its federal lifeline, Chrysler must generate
    plausible possibility. Hence the stream of “news” coming out of Auburn Hills in
    recent weeks. Canada’s Magna Corporation may purchase Chrysler’s minivan plant.
    Nissan may produce a small car for Chrysler, and rebadge Dodge Ram pick-up
    trucks as Titans. A Chinese carmaker may buy unwanted (not to say unused)
    tooling for the soon-to-dead PT Cruiser. And now… Fiat buys into Chrysler.

In reality, Magna may want Chrysler’s Windsor minivan plant, but the company
    isn’t stupid enough to pay anything for it. Not when they can pick it up for
    pennies on the dollar after ChryCo’s collapse. In reality, Nissan is in deep
    trouble; it’s not going to build anything for Chrysler without [non-existent]
    cash on the nail. It’s also in no position to remount an attack on a market
    segment that’s both crowded and cratered (just ask Toyota).

In reality, China doesn’t need the PT Cruiser. And in reality, the Fiat deal has
    nothing to offer. Without any cash investment by the Italian automaker, without
    a single production-ready Italian vehicle on the horizon to lure Americans into
    empty, abandoned Chrysler showrooms, this non-deal does nothing whatsoever to
    ensure Chrysler’s long term viability.

The underlying causation for this non-news is simple enough. Lipstick. Pig.
    Apply.

On February 17, Chrysler will present their term paper to Congress: “How I Spent
    Uncle Sam’s $4b” (a.k.a. “The Three Headed Dog Ate my Automaker”). Chrysler’s
    representatives will attempt to prove that the company can [now] be restructured
    and resurrected to live a long, happy life. See? Things are happening! We’re
    building for the future!

Of course, Chrysler’s “business plan” was, is and will be complete BS.

CEO Bob Nardelli knew Chrysler was doomed to the dole back in December, back
    when he told Congress his employer could turnaround Chrysler’s fortunes with
    “just” $7b worth of federal loans. As is the way of such things, that was then.
    This is now. By mid-February, Boot ‘em Bob’s boys will unveil phase II of their
    grand plan for Chrysler’s renaissance: get out of the manufacturing business.

The new plan is the same as the original plan: keep the brands and distribution
    network. Sell vehicles made by others rebadged as Chryslers. Limited capital and
    engineering required.

Meanwhile and in any case, Chrysler needs the same lifeblood as any other going
    enterprise: cash. Badge engineering and branding be damned; new car sales aren’t
    going to provide Chrysler with the funds it needs to sustain its operations and
    pay for its ongoing liabilities. Not now. Not later. Most likely, never. Asset
    sales won’t do the job, either. And Fiat’s sure as Hell not providing
    operational liquidity.

Blow away the smoke, pack away the mirrors, allow owner Cerberus to insulate
    themselves from accountability for their actions, and it’s clear that Chrysler
    has one source– and one source only– of cash: the U.S. taxpayer.

As any good politician knows, to fool some of the people all of the time, you
    need to change your story frequently. In other words, The Big Lie must be
    sustained by a steady diet of big ideas.

When it comes to Chrysler’s ongoing call on the public purse, the biggest of
    these is the Chrysler - GM merger. The concept: forget Chrysler and GM. We need
    to save American manufacturing! This American Leyland strategy is a stupendously
    bad plan which would make The General like Citibank: a company too big to fail
    with operating divisions that can never be properly integrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.