Register now to get rid of these ads!

What should I do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pdc, Jan 23, 2009.

1. pdc

pdc

Oh, don't I will keep the rumble seat. They're to cool:cool:

2. you know the odd thing is, that car would get you more ass stock than rodded , i know from experince.

keep it stock or you spitting your wife's grandpa's face, did you ever think about that?

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

If it's as nice as described I'd leave it be with the possibility of bolt on hop up parts. You can find solid bodies to build a hot rod.

4. Vorhese

Vorhese

Be different, stay stock.

5. id find em, id hunt em down and kill them, not call the police, not scare em,
    Not beat em up. Id kill them, because you know those fuck heads already have your family heirloom chopped to shit .
    but thats just me, and no its not a suggestion.

6. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

I think that's a no-brainer. As much as I love hot rods, it would be a waste to cut it up. As some of the others suggested, maybe some old banger speed parts, and juice brakes. And a lot of respect for an old gentleman who cared enough about you to even allow you to get it. Good luck and happy riding.............

7. e z i

e z i

Lower it a little, hop it up a little, drive it alot.

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Keep it stock. It'll make ya appreciate your second old car even more, you know, a bare body hot rod project. Don't be suprised if respecting stock tin makes grandpa take an interest in your hot rod. Sounds like the ole guy would be a good one to have in your corner.

good luck

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

build a full fendered hot rod! its seems to be a rarity these days.

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I would hot rod it, but............. since you are getting this from "family", I would imagine that he may have some opinions on you keeping it stock. Even tho you're paying the man, family transactions seem to have some strings attached. Just trying to keep the peace for you man. You better have some lengthy conversations with him and whether he cares what you do to it after you purchase it.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

convert to juice brakes and drive it as it is. Thats what I would do.

12. solid

solid

just drive it.

13. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

What ever you decide to do it does not have to be done today. You can drive it,tinker with it, and enjoy it the way it is for a while then build it your way later.

14. My opinion....
    I'm leaning to keeping it original in appearance,
    You can enjoy it just as much as it is only in a different way, with minimal $$
    (Perhaps a Parades vs. Drag race analogy)

Gramps has invested alot of effort and oppertunity cost to keep it that way, store it, maintain it, protect it over the years.
    You will be throwing that investment of his away when you could build on his investment.
    Maybe this has been a burden and a bad investment ?

Modify one thing and you will loose that money, and de-value the original.
    To me thats a double monetary move to the negative - you only get the enjoyment of the mods. Is it worth it?, well thats up to you.

There should be something in the middle,

Attached Files:

15. greaser

greaser

Drive it how it is,
    Then update to juice brakes,
    Then update for safety and driveability,
    Keep it stock as possible,
    With all parts to return original......You will never have regrets.

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A simple change of wheels and tires makes it look like a hot rod. Imagine a set of 16" Ford wires with big n littles.

17. I would be sure to find out what he expects you to do with it, sounds like he took really good care of it and probably would be pissed if you tore it apart to build a hot rod...me - if its that good I'd keep it that way as long as doesn't need anything major, then tear it apart and make it into a rod.

18. mrdodge

mrdodge

Keep as is. Talk to the old guy about it. Maybe some speed goodies and brake upgrade. That would be it. Drive it. Have fun.

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

tell ya what - cruising in a stock Abone or any other 20s/30s/40s car is just a kick in the pants - if it's stock - leave it that way and use it on Sunday to take your wife out for root beer floats - rest of the time, use it for a parts runner. Warning: You'll be assaulted by anyone and everyone that ever owned or drove one of those things.

Leave it alone except for maintenance and upkeep.

dj

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

tough call. Does he know you want to make it into a hot rod? If so, what does he think about it. I don't think it would be right for him to let you have it and then have you break his heart by changing it. It's a matter of respect.

21. pdc

pdc

Everybody has had excellent advice. Thats 1 thing I love about this place. I have done alot of thinking today at work. To me it would be slap in the face. I wouldn't wanna cause any hard feelings. There are alot of chopped up rides, but how cool would it be to have a original cruiser. This car would bring more respect to any old gearhead to see a 30 year old in a vintage tin. To me, bringing memories and a smile to any old mans face is priceless. If I have a son or daughter, that loves old cars then maybe we can build our own memories. Until then, if I get the car I'll be hitting ya'll up for a "Flatty". I'd still love to hear what everyone else has to say. Thanks again for the 2 cents worth.

22. 61bone

61bone

Nobody else in the family takes a shine to them like I do.

He's always talking to me about cars,

Do I keep it original and keep it in a museum for everybody to enjoy, like he does with his other dozen or better cars?

Did it occur to you that this may be a test for future planning?

Before you do anything including giving it a buffing , find out what he wants.

23. purple32

purple32

I would keep it original. And build another hot rod to go with it.
    purple32

24. jj mack

jj mack

Thats like asking "what should I do if I win a million dollars?"

What you should do is get the car....then ask what to do. Chances are once you get it and drive it...youll figure it out.

25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

What ever you decide make sure others will see it. Take a kid for a ride,and turn someome else on to this incredible disease. Don't keep it garaged up to only wipe it down. Spread some simles and ride.In my opinion if you have something that is to nice to drive and enjoy then you have nothing. Good luck and post some pictures.

26. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Drive it as is as long as Grand Pa. is still alive.. By then you will know your direction..