Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Quickener?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el Scotto, Jan 22, 2009.

1. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I see these things in the Speedway race catalog, has anyone run one of these on the street, or are they a race only piece? I searched the HAMB but found no information about them.

2. Nocero

Nocero

I think your steering would be too fast for the street. As far as I know they are primarily for circle track racing.

3. They work well turned around to slow a cowl steering setup down though. The long pitman arm required for good geometry takes all the advantage away.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Okay, I was just wondering the steering rate out of my Vega box seems incredibly slow...

5. They come in various ratios. 2:1 and 1.5:1 are common. I have a 1.7:1 laying around from an old forklift. Industrial equipment can even supply 90 degree versions.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've thought about this too... Specifically for a road race '54 Buick. Fast ratio boxes for them aren't exactly growing on trees. The original boxes in those old cars are incredible slow.

Any thoughts?

-Brad

7. rizzorace

rizzorace

I ran quickners in my circle track cars, you will hate it in parking lots, and power steering is pretty much a must have.

8. Why don't you just change the length of your pitman arm?