Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who likes Olympia Beer? ;)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlamCouver, Nov 1, 2008.

1. houston54

houston54

Olympia Beer is like paddling a canoe. It is as close as you can get to water without getting wet.

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

"Olympia Beer is like paddling a canoe. It is as close as you can get to water without getting wet"

Sir thats simply slander.:D

3. speedmill

speedmill
    from loveland

Beer, like my childhood superheros, can save me in times of strife, but it can cause massive citywide damage in the process

4. 64Olds

64Olds

really neat car, cool

5. bruce hylton

bruce hylton
    from toledo wa

I agree with the statement about coors and oly tasting the same.

6. poorboy

poorboy

cool lettering!

7. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Oly was the first beer I ever drank too. Spent 4 days in the hospital once because of it too! See, dad would always come in from his Civil Service job as a mechanic as Vandenberg AFB in SOCAL with 2 Oly tall boys he'd buy for the trip home. Well, he'd leave a little bit in the can and I'd finish it off.

I was finishing the cans off one day that were left on the workbench in the garage. Got ahold of one that had gasoline in it.....

Before my Grandpap (who gave me my RPU) passed away, he and my dad collaborated on the build of the same RPU, as it was my Dad's senior project in college. Grandpap said they started to collect the Oly cans for recycling, but after 2 weeks they weren't able to close the garage door!

8. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

That should be Filo's hot rod! lol!

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When Parnelli Jones was drinking a mexican beer standing along side the Big Oly, sponsors were pissed. Fast forward to Mexicali for a Baja race. PJ, Art and several others (including me) were eating and every time somebody ordered a beer, PJ would give the trunk key to the waiter and he would come back with Olympia. You should have seen the tip the guy got!

10. RichG

RichG

Now, THAT is a cool story!

11. First time I drank an OLY was in 1968. We hauled apples from WA to MN and would bring it to MN. People were crazy for it. The trailers used to deliver the beer were painted with the same logo on the the hot rod. The tractors that pulled the trailers were owned by Tripp Trucking. We saw them at the truck stops. My favorate beer was Schmidt Extra Special brewed in Minnesota for Octoberfest.

12. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

SamMiller does not own Pabst. Pabst uses the Texas Miller Brewery however to make their line of beers...

13. Senica

Senica

14. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the late 50's, when I was in HS, my best friend's dad drove an Oly delivery truck. Whenever the bottling line screwed up and didn't fill them all the way, the drivers took those cases home. Needless to say we drank lots of it. There were all kinds of stories about the dots on the back of the bottle lables. If you found one with 4 dots it was guarenteed that you were going to get layed that night. If only it had been that simple.

15. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

""See it here....
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1001104917.html ""

Woah someone needs to buy this car!:D

I talked with Lusk here on the Hamb and we thought it would be pretty sweet if I drove this down to the Older part of town and Took acouple REAL pictures! so maybe a half assed photo shoot is in the works:rolleyes:
    so stay tuned for the updated photos, have done acouple things to the coupe since I started this thread such as running hood sides with no top and so on.

16. Although that quote came from a press release, it looks like you are right. They bought the brewery from Pabst before closing it and continue to brew Pabst under contract from them. it is SABMiller though, not Sam:D

17. hunter_lake

hunter_lake

I have to admit that Oly was my first beer as well ... like home brew and Porters now. Sweet Ride Slam! I would love to buy the car ... got to sell my other project first :(

18. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Ya, it's a real 4 dot.....

19. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Back in the early 60's the only beer my uncles drank was OLY and they played the dots, I remember me and my brother hauling all the empties to the store for the refund and seeing all the bottles with no label, asked them why and they said when they got one with 4 dots they got a free six pack. Another tid bit when we would drive from oregon to washington we never made it past Olympia and the brewery, down in the basement they had a tasting bar my mom always had to drive from there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  20. when i was stationed at mccord in the late sixties we use to go down to the brewery in tumwater and put the free beer to us. ahh what a TASTE

21. Gravel

Gravel

Took a tour of Oly with my parents back in the early 70's, all I can remember is it was the worst smell I could imagine and all I did was make my parents miserable the whole time while complaining about it...

Man how my senses have changed since then.. [​IMG]

I used to have a bunch of Oly paraphernalia, don't remember what happened to it all.

When Ford had the Oly Bronco on display at SEMA, I drooled a little on myself when I first saw it sitting there... :eek:

22. Mutt

Mutt

While stationed at the AUW shop at SuBase Pearl Harbor in the 60's, the CO wanted to brighten up the Duty Quarters with a picture, and asked me to paint something. I wonder if it's still there?

Mutt

Attached Files:

23. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Thats a hell of a painting Mutt I bet you did your CO proud.

24. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

C'mon Don Everybody knows Sam Miller at the brewery.....lol