Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Might be Rocky's Goat behind the Vette. Ray Allen in front.
    Might be the L.A.W s/d way in the back.

2. The Quinn Bros had a few Oldses in Div 1 ...maybe?

3. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Speaking of the LAW Sedan Delivery, I just found this in my archives from the 1970 Summerntaionals.

[​IMG]

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here are some more from the 1970 Summernationals. See how many cars you can identify in each photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cool nightshots, thanks for sharing. Got anymore??

6. Mike Delahanty

Mike Delahanty

Note the class on the windshield - looks like F/G. There were a couple of these 62-63 Full Size Chevies that ran Gas or M/P from the PA-NJ area - including the Contenders that used to dominate Modified Eliminator at Atco.

Also - I believe "Ditto" was the Walt Whitbeck S/S car -SS/W as I recall. Don't ever remember Walt running the car in M/P or Gas.

7. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

The night shots are really cool thanks for posting them .Especially Archie's "Hydrophobia". The stories I have heard about that thing!!!

8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Not sure who's in front of John, but the the McMaster & Gunning 4Dr is the next one. Yea, the night shots really gets the neurotransmitter working again! You can almost smell the 260 fumes and the M&H smoke!

9. I'm trying to identify my 55's pre "Locomotion" form as it too raced in Virginia at all those strips well back into the 60's, Richmond, Suffolk and Creeds/VA Beach...could have been Overtaker for all we know!
    -Dean

Attached Files:

10. That would be great! I tried getting it posted on Gasser Madness but i can't seem to reach Brian...I sent some pictures. I'm just intrigued to see what the car looked like in the '60s! That paint scheme is from the early-mid 70s but you can see other colors underneath. Thanks,
    -Dean

11. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Interesting seeing that 13.10 'index' (or bracket) ET posted on the window, when you realize that if configured as a 'proper' 265/195 (Three-Speed!) Junior Stocker, it would of most-likely been capable of mid thirteens!

12. Ya I'm not exactly sure why that was on there...it was fait when I got it, not even really visible, so maybe it was from an earlier time as well. The way the car was set up last should have been running into the 10's I'd say...
    -Dean

13. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Dean,
    You may know this, but if not, try Gassermadness

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Try going to Zabasearch.com, and look up the name on the door and where the car is from. Wes Johnson in Maryland, there are only a few. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

Thanks for adding my Friend .... Paul Baker.... who ran a 56 Chev 2 Door 150 Business coupe (no back seat), Powerglide, 225HP (2x4Bbls) and held the NHRA class record, ET & MPH in N/SA 3 different times during 1968 and 1969.
    He raced in Southern California and was from Costa Mesa, CA

PS: During the 1967-1968 season Paul ran a 56 Chev Sedan Delivery in NHRA O/SA. 210HP, 265 Cubic Inch with a Hydramatic Trans (not a powerglide).

He later ran a 57 150 Business Coupe (no back seat) in NHRA SS/OA with a 245HP with Powerglidee and held the NHRA MPH record of around 107 MPH.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  16. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

Steve,

During 1968 thru 1983 I worked for Fenton Wheel Company. We were a NHRA Major Sponsor and supplied wheels for many,many of the NHRA Stockers...I have literally hundreds of great color pictures of many of the guys on you master list.

I will try to scan and get as many as I can posted.

Mike Gaines

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  17. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

Check out the FENTON WHEEL decal. I was with Fenton for 15 years during all this NHRA Super Stock and Junior Stock years....I started as Midwest Factory Sales Rep and over 15 years worked my up to Senior Vice President of Sales & Marketing....I shipped 100's and 100's of FREE Fenton wheels to all of the top NHRA (and AHRA) racers...plus we awarded thousands of dollars in WIN MONEY ... I lived and breathed NHRA drag racing during this time period.

Mike Gaines

18. John Mackey

John Mackey

Mike, I was one who got a set of wheels from Fenton.

Thanks You, John

19. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

It's 'done' Mike ... and welcome to the thread!

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Another one of the many (very-deserving!) recipients of Fenton's generosity!

21. You know with all the names, information and photos compiled just in this thread someone should write a book or something on Jr. Stockers. There probably isn't another source anywhere that has all this info in one place!
    -Dean

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Done Bill, I'm sure he'd be pleased with his spot on our list ... he's right between Val Hedworth and Keith Hodge. Fine 'company' indeed!

Oh, and by the way -- *RE: your post "Why do Sportsman Racers always plaster so many decals on their cars?"

*Those folks that may have missed it, might get a smile out of -->( 910 ) And here's Jere Stahl's reply-->( 913 )

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yea, I'm pretty sure "WagonKiller" does, but alas, he's already got a 'project' ...

[​IMG]

24. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Finally a name from my home strip, Niagara. Pete Magol, winner in N/S with his '50, I think, Studebaker. Of course I thought I remembered it in M/S. But that was 40+ years ago. Which brings up another question regarding my not so good memory. I'm sure Ted Hartman's '57 Chevy fordor wagon, "Bad Banana", with a 283/283 ran Double F/Stock, (FF/S). But I don't see a listing for that class in the 1966 results. Did that class go away after 1965? Or was it possibly a NASCAR class? Niagara become a NASCAR strip for a period but I thought that was in 1967. Or is my memory totally shot beyond repair.

Lee

25. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Ahh, so there was a FF/S but NASCAR not NHRA. Thanks for posting that. Thought I was losing my mind. As I said in my first post on this thread, my brother and I picked our '58 Chevy Delray body and 250 HP 348 combination based on the advertised HP to weight ratio that came out to 14.00. Couldn't do much better than that for G/S.

Lee

26. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

For the drivers list Id like to nominate my partner Dave Hinkel aka the Fly who drove our P/S 59 Chevy Biscayne 283/285 4 speed junior stocker from 66-70 in the S. Fla area mostly at Miami Dragway. We did set a Nascar record at Deland in 67 at the greatest drag race that ever was in my opinion. Every major heavy hitter including Richard Petty was there and they debuted the new 427 Fairlanes

27. farm1810

farm1810

This is the car I mentioned a few weeks ago that Fred Borcherdt took to Cecil County and won the CARS magazine meet. However, they refused to put it in the magazine because it was some combination of original paint and primer. He had it painted Poppy Red, something close to the orange of Rocky's Goat. As for Rocky's Goat, also pictured and mentioned in this thread sitting next to Bill Cornelius' Corvette in one picture. When Rockhill Pontiac initially decided to sponsor the car, the mechanics at the dealership worked on it and never did get the car to run competitively. Later, Fred was asked to take over the car and it acquired the D/SA record. Does this allow Fred to finally be placed on the list?

[​IMG]

RileyRacing likes this.
  28. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

[​IMG] Thanks for posting this ad...probably was from National Dragster.

Mike Gaines,
    Senior Vice President, Sales & Marketing
    (also in charge of the NHRA,AHRA Drag Racing Program)
    Fenton Wheel Company 1968 thru 1982

29. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

Every one of you guys who got a set of FENTON WHEELS deserved it....especially now 40 years later.

My dear friend and Mentor, Aaron Fenton, passed away in 2006.

Aaron was one of the founding fathers of racing (but WAS NOT famous like Edelbrock, Iskenderian, etc) having developed aluminum cylinder heads for flatheads, cast aluminum dual exhaust manifolds for Chev 6 cylinders...all long before modern V8's came along. I even came across and old picture of a 1957 Ford of THE UNSER BROS Pikes Peak hill climb car which has emblazoned on the Door....THE FENTON SPECIAL..

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

... Just an oversight that Fred (as a driver) was not on the list. I 'think' many of us associated Fred Borcherdt (mostly) with his Hydramatic Wizardry and other (mostly) Pontiac-related wrenching skills.

I once had the dubious distinction of trailing that '57 through the traps at Cecil, but I didn't realize at the time the it was Freddie! I think it was the following weekend at Capitol, that I got to 'read his name' on the 'lift gate' of George's '56 delivery -- again, in the traps! Getting beat by those guys back then was in some way an 'honor' -- at least you got that far! Yes, Fred is on the driver's list now.