Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of gassers??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Jan 1, 2004.

1. westside

westside

one of the pics is right before. the other was taken the day i put the rear end back in it. it ended up crushing the spring pads when the pinion broke so i had to replace them as well. bummer! how have you been brandon i didnt get to see you at cavalcade. anything new?

2. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

A few to keep this going

Attached Files:

3. brandon

brandon

added shiny paint to my coupe...been gathering parts for a 64 chevelle drag car of some sort...not sure of the look i am going for....:rolleyes:...good to see its back in action....

a couple gasser shots..... brandon:D

the willys is fred carmack's old heehaw willys racing houchin's camaro 6 banger gasser from louisville...taken at edgewater ....the anglia was from 411 dragway in tn........

Attached Files:

4. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

A couple of Nova's. This one races with us with the East Coast Gassers.

[​IMG]

My son took this pic at the Willys Home Run last year.

[​IMG]

5. hemi man

hemi man

:) good friend of mine.

Attached Files:

6. moparron426

moparron426

Hemi Man, that is a nice cool altered and the hemi in it looks great.
    but it's not a "GASSER" a gasser has to have fenders, altereds can be fenderless with more engine setback:D:cool::) Ron....

gasser

[​IMG]

altered

[​IMG]

7. Hemi Man, I gotta agree. Not Gasser material. MINE'S not even Gasser material really 'til I put an axle under it. Yours is more Altered.

8. moparron426

moparron426

your car could be or IS a gasser, if its got a modified engine it could run gas class.
    an axel is not required to make a car a gasser, many cars are slamed on the ground and many also used the stock frotends and just raised them with springs or spring spacers.

lots of cars went to an axel to get some weight off the front and raised them up to get better traction to the rear(tires sucked in the early 60's).

gasser can mean different things to different people, early 60's gasser had one look and as the 60's went into the 70's things changed in the gas classes and they had a different look but they were still gassers.:cool::D

but they all had fenders..... Ron.

9. EXACTLY!!! The cars in the earlier "gas" classes were basically a "driver" with no hubcaps. Very plain, limited speed equipment (or dressup items like mag wheels), and was just a way for the average guy to race his driver car on the weekends. And, like everything else, it exploded to what is more popularly known as Gassers. The mid 60's badasses are what's remembered.

10. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Moparron & Groucho are right on about the Axle deal. Many people these days think a gasser must have a straight axle and also if it has a straight axle it's a gasser. Both are very incorrect. Many gassers raced both in the early days of the class with stock independent front ends. Also many lower class gassers in the late 60's kept the stock front ends. Here's a photo of 2 Gassers that race with us that were both built in the 60's and do not have straight axles. This is the final round of our last race of the season. The Ford got into the 9's for the first time on this pass and the Chevy was running 10.1's.:cool:

[​IMG]

11. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

This Ford is clearly in violation of ECG rule #14 - "Period correct wheels only. Absolutely no modern billet style wheels allowed" What is the point of having rules if they are not enforced ?

12. Saxxon

Saxxon

This is my current project
    Back in 73 it had a Racer Brown cammed 426 Hemi

This summer (Hopefully) it will be running a Hilborn 377 SBC

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  13. now THAT looks like fun. Any more history on it or photos? What year is the body, and what's the chassis set up?

Love the bikini hardtop and stance. Great photo too for a period shot.

hdh

14. I was under the assumption, or mis-information that if a car did not have an axle it was a Modified Production car. The man that I got it from insisted it was a Gasser but I just didn't argue as we had not closed the deal. So he was right. Ok, that's why we amass here,to learn more. Cool, thx. So I do have a Gasser, I still want an axle. Groucho? HEHEHEH

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

It's a 63 Scout 80. That was the way it looked when it was named the Elephant Hunter in the 73 Hot Rod yearbook. It had an Olds rear with 5:13s on simple leaf springs. The front is an econoline drop axle with Ford brakes and spindles. The hemi was set back 12 inches into the firewall. That leaves very little legroom. Good thing I'm short. It was pretty crude with a plywood bed. The original owner ran it at the old Keystone Dragstrip without the top, no windshield and no hood. It ran mid 12's with funny car style burnouts. The stories of it's exploits on the street around here are legendary.

When I got it, it was missing the drivetrain and the wheels. I've swapped out some of the heritage in favor of safety and drivability. As much as I loved the stance it had to change a bit. The Olds rear is out and a narrowed Dana 60 with a spool and 4:56 gears is in. All mounted on a Competition Engineering ladder bar setup. The front end is in great shape and will be run as is. I've managed to find a set of 15x4.5 Ansens for the front and 15x10 Americans with MT 31x13's. I'm mini tubbing the bed to fit the slicks under the fenderwells. The concussion bar and hoop is out and an 8 point cage is in. The 377 smallblock is a fairly mild setup (510 hp 467 tq) to get it sorted out.

2011 Update:
    I've added the pictures from the truck's first outing at the track. It went a best of 11.31 on a pretty easy pass and on it's last pass pulled a big wheelstand.

The last set of pictures is from the 2011 World of Wheels here in Winnipeg where the truck won it's class and got a special interest award because of it's heritage and history.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  16. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

saxxon, that scout is so cool. i always liked the way you could build the jeeps and scout other than 4wd.
    i also liked the truck top and not the long roof on them too.
    when i was 15 a friend of mine new a guy that built a scout with a 480 inch olds and hydro in it.
    he took it to lions and it ran 12.56 with all four tires smoking.
    around '67 my friend bought it and we would go street racing with it. beat a lot of people.
    i got to thinking about it the other day and just for the fun of it, i looked on craigslist.
    what do you know? i found a '63 in real good shape. 4wd works, no rust, ran good, good tires and only $1500 dollars.
    man, i can just see this with a straight axle and big tires. a blower coming out of the hood.
    i tried to trade him a t bucket project i have, but he only wants money.
    i'm still trying to figure out how to get up the money.
    come on stimulus check!!

17. This Plymouth coupe used to belong to Bill Kaufman who was instrumental in starting the first NSRA Nats East in Timonium Md.
    [​IMG]

18. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

I don't see any billet wheels in this photo. Early Cragar Super Tricks that are on the front of the Ford ARE period correct as they were out in the very early 70's. We will allow a car to run a more modern wheel on the back as long as the rest of the car fits. Ford Freak, why is this a problem for you?

19. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Not a problem for me - the wheels just didn't seem to fit the "period correct" theme of a nostalgia gasser, (to me), and I wondered why these wheels were allowed in the ECG racing series. Apparently, I misread & misinterperated the wheel rule. Thanks for the explanation.
    Bernie Scheuerman
    ECG #321

20. 0ldracer

0ldracer

The Bill Kauffman Plymouth is the former Gene Altizer A/Gasser from the early 60's. That photo is from about 1975....does anyone know where this car is now? Thanks, Dave
    [​IMG]

Dave

21. abone1930

abone1930

Gassers rock :d

Attached Files:

22. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Dave....just curious, did Gene use that motor in first Anglia or did it stay with the Plymouth when he sold it?

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

23. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I ran a b/gas 64 nova with a stock front end and hooked better than a straight axle car. I would rather run fast than just look good. Which it seems like that is what it is all about now. Oh yeah there is no gas class anymore . So if it did not run gas class back then it is just a clone.

24. moparron426

moparron426

you can call them a clone,a recreation or a tribute car they are still COOL in my eyes.:cool:
    and there still are gas classes in the NHRA heritage series, you just run for a #, not all out, but its still cool heads up 10.6,9.6,8.6 and 7.6 racing where everyone has a chance of winning :D:cool: Ron.

25. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Lee,

Gene had 2 race engines for the Plymouth. One was a 380" SBC and the other was a 404" SBC. He kept them both and used improved versions of them in the first Anglia. I'm not sure if it had a powerplant when he sold it or not.
    Sure would like to know where that car ended up!

Dave

26. Larry T

Larry T

Here's a link to the NHRA Heritage series that Ron mentioned, thanks to Chuck for the EnFO. (G)

http://www.nhrahotrodheritage.com/rules-09.pdf

And to keep the post on topic, a picture of Ohio George in 1960, thanks to Rockerheads book, Supercharged Gas Coupes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  27. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

heres a few

Attached Files:

28. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

sorry bracket racing will never ne drag racing.We fought that (brackets) when they first started that in the 70s. It is the reason most guys quit.

29. Don't worry about him guys. He just wants to be grumpy and talk smack. We know what we got, and they look like Gassers to me. Prozac anyone?

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool...how about more picks of the red Comet?