Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 International frame options...help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodscavenger, Jan 21, 2009.

1. woodscavenger

woodscavenger
    from idaho

I may have found in 1947 international cab, front fenders and hood but no frame, bed or rear fenders. I have an S10 that I bought for the T5 for my 50dodge truck transplant but I was wondering what other good frame options are there for that type of truck. Will I run into the S10 being too narrow? Will a 70's/80's full size truck work as an option? I know someone with an Olds 455 that would be interesting to transplant......but my main question is in regards to my best frame options.

Thanks for you help.

2. kennygs72

kennygs72
    from atlanta ga

I'm running a 87 dakota frame under my 47 kb-2

3. ktscustom

ktscustom

i am building my own frame for my 48. i pretty much started the way you are.

4. ....I've heard that S-10 frames work under these trucks better than any other old truck.

5. havi

havi

I've heard this as well. Though the Dakota is a nice second. oldIHC site has a few threads on this.

6. Awedrod

Awedrod
    from Wichita KS

S-10 is the way I'm going, just for the ease of updating suspension and brakes. Besides, they are fairly easy to find.

7. krooser

krooser

The best frame to use is a '47 International... bolts right in!

8. havi

havi

Hard to argue with that logic! I plan on doing the same.

9. woodscavenger

woodscavenger
    from idaho

Thanks krooser and havi, that was insightful. If I had a line on a 47 frame the question would not have been posed. I have an S10 sitting in my yard but I don't have the IH yet so I am unsure about width measurements.

10. Terraizer

Terraizer

The S-10 frame works really good on late 1930-1940 internationals, i have a 1937 D-15 and a 1942 K-2 on Cut down S-10 Chassis's, the S-10 rearends are way to narrow for the IH I used a Scout 2 dana 44 but a 4x4 S-10 rear is about the same width and the front track width is a bit narrow on the K/KB but not to bad, it fits the D really well. On the K i used the stock front cab mounts with cut down Scout 2 Poly spring bushings and for the rear cab mount i used Poly Scout 2 body bushings and some 3x4" square tubing. A dodge dakota chassis would also be a nice swap since the stock dakot track width is with in 3/4" of the stock K/KB width.

11. Put it over a late model Ford F250 and you'd have an International truck powered by an International diesel motor.

12. krooser

krooser

Hey... I'm here to help!

BTW.... I've had about 1/2 dozen of these things back when everybody laughed at me for even owning a Binder. Neat trucks.

13. havi

havi

I had thought about using my '95 Jeep GC for the drivetrain. IIRC, the trackwidth was pretty darn close. I'm looking at making a daily driver though. Good luck on whatever you decide!

14. Abomination

Abomination

Glad you asked!

Check these out:

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274702

Definitive Ranger/Explorer Frame Swap Vehicle List
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287382

Definitive Dakota frame swap list
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307020

We pretty much lay it all out for you. The S-10 one seems to be the most popular, but you won't find better descriptions, how-tos, or pictures anywhere else online!

If you go with an S-10, you may want to what McKee says in post 882 in the S-10 thread:

"Some of the local stock car racers that are running G bodies use the lower control arm from a full size 80's Ford sedan (Crown Vic or Grand Marquis), It's wider by 2", although they just use it on the right side to get more camber. Apparently the spring pockets line up, the geometry doesn't get screwed up and they fit with very little modification. If they fit G bodies they'll fit an S10 chassis. If you use the Ford Lower control arms, lengthen the tie rods and use aftermarket upper control arms (they're available for the roadrace crowd) you could effectively widen the front track by 4" using bolt on parts. Also I think '93 and up Blazers had larger brake rotors so if you use those spindles you'd have better brakes too. Comments?"

~Jason

15. havi

havi

Thanks for the links! I have reading material for the long winter now!

Oh, and it gives me a reason to hang onto my wife's Blazer. (I'm a Ford guy, it pains me so)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  16. caceo

caceo

Woodscavenger,
    This is a '47 International that is being built up in PNW...running on a Dodge Dakota frame... there is guy around who is making parts for the early Internationals as well...

Attached Files:

17. Abomination

Abomination

You'll find out later the rear end might be nice from that blazer, but the wheelbase is way too short! :D

~Jason

18. silversink

silversink

If you are going to do a long bed a n ex cab S10 works, if a short bed than a std. cab S10. To solve the rearend width problem a 4x4 rearend is the right width( S10).

19. woodscavenger

woodscavenger
    from idaho

Based on some numbers I have seen the S10 width is 56 up front and the IH is almost 60". Would I be stupid to try and make up nearly 2" per side with spacers or offset rims?

I read the post on switching control arms but I would like to stay away from something like that if possible.

20. havi

havi

If you plan on any lowering in the front, you want the wheels inboard enough to turn without hitting the fenders. I'd rather have them inboard than use wheel spacers anyday.

21. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

any ih pickup 69-74 will fit, frames have the same width as my 41 kb-5 i plan on useing a 1300 series frame/ its a 1 ton duelie. the reason i want to run the newer frame is that it was a dump truck and has a 8" kick-up after the cab for the perfect slammed look ( dont have to z the original frame) the kb-5 has 20" wheels verses the 16s on the 69 frame, still has a straight axle. ill be also takeing out a couple of leafs, so the ride wont be too bad. the only down side is finding front end parts for some of these ih's from the late 60s. wheel spacers are a no,no. i agree with havi on that.

22. havi

havi

I've had a couple of those later IH trucks as well. For parts availability for a lighter duty KB1 or 2, I'd opt for the IFS of a Dakota, or S10. My $.02

23. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

hmmm, well i do have a 77 dodge d100 stepside short bed in the yard. the frame is not as wide as the kb only by 2" or so. my concern that the truck will look funny with a shortbed was going to build a long bed stepside and use the 77s fenders.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Dude needs to put some front sheetmetal (hood and fenders) on that thing. That frame and suspesnion is hideous hanging out in the open like that.

25. Abomination

Abomination

Jacob Chapin?
    http://www.oldihc.org/users/jacob/

That dude's a total badass! You should click the link above and check it out!

~Jason

26. sidera208

sidera208

i have a complete 40 model int but don't know the type. its got the dauly rear end, and a long frame. ok now i want to put it on the pavement but don't want to cut all of that up. so is any one wanting or looking for the frame or front clip. i bought it only for the cab. i am going to use the s-10 frame. and the rear end off it to keep the dauly look.

27. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

My has 46 a mustang II front s10 rear springs on the stock frame no problems exeplorer rear end

28. new 2 the old

new 2 the old

funny thing i just found out .... so im trying to find out the best way and cheapest way to lower my 56 international s120 . the funny thing is i see every one uses s10 frames well im tradeing my s10 for the international lol

29. ScottInIowa

ScottInIowa
    from Gilman, IA

I'm trying something a bit different. I just got a '47 international KB8, but like others here have no desire to have the rest of the 60+ year old mechanicals, plus the split rims. The KB8 is pretty big, so I've found an early 80s van chassis camper. 350 chevy motor - only downside is the frame is about 1" too wide. I'm sure I can modify the back cab corners a little, plus the price is right - $300. Can pay for that easy by selling the working AC and awning. Trying to do this for $0 out of pocket - we'll see.. Nice thing is I keep the dually, downside is the wheel diameter is quite a bit smaller. Outside tire diameter is about 29", the KB8 is about 36". Anybody else try something similar?

30. krooser

krooser

Why not keep the KB8 frame and just shorten it and redo the front and rear suspension? I saw a 40 Ford 2 ton done this way and it worked very well...