Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

this car was my step dads before he sold it to Lloyd Stephans and it became the ofixco car and Shuman started driving it. was pretty succesful with Pancho in it

Budmiller likes this.
  2. I wish someone would bring it back out. Have no idea what happened to it.

3. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I think Barry Grabel has it
    "Doc" Parsons

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Brian, I'm gonna copy that 98 and put it with my diecast. I've got an autographed photo of Troy behind it already.

5. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

This has been at our Traditional Shows
    [​IMG]

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Art is my great uncle. He's a great guy with a lot of great stories. His book is a must for sprint car enthusiasts.
    Shane

7. cool!

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Troy Ruttman, through the years-

Attached Files:

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Found the original, from the Marty Boyer collection.

[​IMG]

<TABLE class=ipbtable cellSpacing=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=post1 id=post-main-33299 vAlign=top width="100%">Trenton, Sept. 24, 1961. A. J. Foyt and others await the payoff at Trenton. Leaning against the post was Don Davis; next to him Bud Tingelstad, then Foyt, then A. J. Watson. In back, left to right, were Herb Porter, Bill Cheesebourg, uncertain driver, Danny Jones, and Parnelli Jones in the Agajanian driving suit.
    <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_33299--><!-- THE POST --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=formbuttonrow noWrap>
    <!--[​IMG]-->​
    </TD><TD class=formbuttonrow noWrap><!-- PM / EMAIL / WWW / MSGR -->
    <!-- REPORT / UP -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=catend colSpan=2><!-- no content --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!--Begin Msg Number 33301-->

10. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

Posted for mLight9
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

HTML:

Rootie, I'm sckeptical that is Trenton 64, more like 62.

The front row I believe l-r, Don Davis, Bud Tinglestad, Foyt, Watson.
    Background l-r Herb Porter, Bill Cheeseborg, Don Freeland, yellow hat is Bruce Jacobi, Parnelli Jones. The straw hat looks like Danny Oakes.

If that is Don Davis it has to be 62 or earlier. It is Trenton, they are waiting for their money! 
    It is Danny Oakes, Not Danny Jones! I stand by the call on Freeland and Jacobi now that 1961 is the date.

12. There must have been a lot of interest in Japan back in the 50's-60's. I see a lot of toy race cars on e-bay from there.

13. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Good news for us freezing here in the Midwest. Only 80 days until USAC sprint cars run again. First Midwest date is 4/10 at Eldora.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A cool pic of Andy Linden, early 50s. Anybody care to guess what the disc brake looking gizmo is? I'm guessing it's a auxillerary left side brake, chain driven off the axle, maybe??:confused::confused::confused:

Attached Files:

15. sideways27

sideways27

Anyone have any info on the Teal #75 Kurtis Kraft Midget driven by Roy Russing?

16. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Hello everyone! I just registered. This is without question the best thread I've ever read! What the hell took me A YEAR to find it? Happy one year birthday by the way! I've spent the last three nights reading the entire thing. Can't even remember everything I've learned. Thanks to all and hopefully it keeps on going. :)
    David Ayers.

17. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Hey racinfool, it's cool, you can rob my photos anytime. I snapped that one of Amati in 1982 at the Indy mile. Gotta lot of memories of him racing.
    David.

18. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Hi Circletrack 40. Your post really peaked my interest. I was wondering if you still have any photos of the Solar midget you had? Or do you have any contact info on who owns the car now?
    The reason I ask is, I've been searching for years for the Solar midget my Dad owned and drove. (see pic below). Or photos or info on the car. I had given up years ago in actually locating the car, but still look for info on it. I have few photos and would love to find someone who has photos of the car from back then.
    His name was Byron Ayers, he passed away in 2004. He was from Portland, Indiana. The midget was a Solar V8-60. He raced at places such as Armscamp, Jeffersonville, Ft. Wayne, Terre Haute, Muncie as well as a few others. (I don't have my notes with me or I could provide specifics). This was in the late 40's/early 50's. He ran against guys like Gene Force, Boots Brown, the Hartley's, Potsy Goacher, Bob Breading and other guys from that era.
    As you can imagine, I about fell off my chair when I read that you had a Solar midget with the name Ayers inside of a wheel. My Dad labeled EVERYTHING! I still have his big ole' iron toolbox with all his tools in it, from that time (see cockpit of the photo) and even all his tools have Ayers on them.
    Anyway, if you or anyone else has any info, I would be forever in debt for it!
    Thanks!
    David Ayers.

[​IMG]

19. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Wow, It only took you a day to catch up!:) You must be a speed reader, David.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A little help... while cruzn this thread last week I came upon a photo of what appears to be a restored, a maroon colored big car. It is my current screen saver image and the car looks to be running in an historic racing event (non-oval). I think the car number is 35, and from what I can make out it is the Bin Lee Special (or something close to that). It has chromed solid disc wheels.

I'd like to go back and find out more about the car / owner / etc. but have no idea what page / entry the image was posted on here (probably in the first 100 pages). Can anyone help redirect me to that entry? Thanx, Gary

PS... while I certainly like old oval racers, what I really get from this thread are the amazing paint jobs. Just love the way race cars are painted!

21. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Hi Al, how are you! :) I actually have spent about 4 hours a night, over the past 3 nights reading the entire thread. GREAT stuff in this thread. (I work nights so this thread may get me fired). Keep it coming!
    David.

22. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Hey Dave.....Did you notice I gave you the credit?? LOL!;)

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Andy G. and his Novi monster, gotta love those STP "jammies" :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• ag-n.jpg
      ag-n.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
  24. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

I saw that. That's awesome! I'm going through all my old photos and scanning them, so maybe I can contribute some cool stuff to this thread.
    David.

25. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The last NOVI and who better to take it on its last run than Greg Weld.

I talked to Greg about this car, a couple of years ago, and told him that I was almost injured in his last crash at Indy between turn 3 and 4. I just happened to be entering the track when he hit. It was a purty loud hit and little bits and pieces started showering through and over the fence, landing around me.

He said that when he entered turn three, something snapped in the right front driveshaft and he also was getting peppered with metal particles and ball bearings when the CV came apart. Coming out of three he said he could no longer steer and thumped the wall before he got to turn four.

The NOVI never ran another lap at the Speedway.

26. awesome

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Got to give it to ol' Granatelli for dedication, he must of sunk a ton of money in those cars over the years, for very little results.

28. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

I have noticed that alot of early ones like this are a 6 lug what hubs where they running??? Any clue?