Register now to get rid of these ads!

Started another project. 28 p/u drag truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Mar 5, 2008.

1. tmacracin

tmacracin

I was thinking on ordering the original tailgate chain and latch setup unless you guys have any other ideas?

2. abone1930

abone1930

Awesome pickup project. Short wheel base cars with alot of horespower Rock :D

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

Your work is very impressive keep us posted on the progress....

4. Roupe

Roupe

Cool project, keep posting updates! I'm working on a '28 truck and will post some pics in a couple weeks.

5. tmacracin

tmacracin

Yes it should be fun. I was going to run a 4 gear but I decided on the 3 speed auto because I think I will be busy enough when I push the loud pedal too the floor

6. tmacracin

tmacracin

Sounds good.Are you going to chop the top? Fenders?

7. Roupe

Roupe

Here is where I'm at right now. Chopped 4-1/2", stretched 4" behind the doors, chopped and narrowed t coupe quarter windows. '48 Flathead, S10 t-5 trans. '28 cabs are real small, the 4" stretch really helps.
    Sorry my shop is small and I can't get very good pics. If the weather is nice this weekend I want to roll it outside and get better pics.

Attached Files:

8. tmacracin

tmacracin

Its been cold here so I have been in the shop......I had a great idea to ditch the carbs and run this 4 port Hilborn setup on gas instead. I just got off the phone with the fuel injection guru we use for my blown alcohol setup and he thinks we can make it "fairly" streetable so here goes. More money:D

Attached Files:

9. tmacracin

tmacracin

I have been doing some searching on the Hilborn/street setup and I have found JR Thompson(gasser legend) sets them up for the street. I was told he built his own barrel valve with midrage circuit? Anyone running his setup?

10. tmacracin

tmacracin

Some more progress:D

Attached Files:

11. tmacracin

tmacracin

Here is the motivation to get it done!:D

Attached Files:

12. wayfarer

wayfarer

Looks like Jim's making some good progress on it. It's been months since I've been out to his shop, but it looks like you've made it from the lean-to to the real shop area. When is it supposed to be done?

13. tmacracin

tmacracin

I hope to have it back home by the end of next month so I can do a final mock-up and run brake lines,wires,ect,ect before a break it down to paint the chassis.I was down visiting Jim in November and its came along way since then

14. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Jim, Looking forward to the progress on this "A" Drag Truck !

41 Dave

15. tmacracin

tmacracin

I just got these velocity stacks today. I think they look better than the air filters?

Attached Files:

16. Hemizach

Hemizach

I agree, I like them

17. tmacracin

tmacracin

They don't look like they will flow that great with the foam
    they come with.Any other ideas? K&N style element?

18. tmacracin

tmacracin

None of you have any ideas? Or does some one make
    a velocity stack with a good filter?

19. tmacracin

tmacracin

Come on guys none of you have any ideas?We can have pages and pages of OT stuff but no one wants to talk about hot rods anymore?

20. dv8

dv8

I like the velocity stacks as well....I have a set of them. I think they look awesome on cross ram set ups.

I think you could remove the foam, and make some fine, stainless steel mesh, screens for them.

Also...K&N filter elements are basically cotton, and oil...not too far removed from a loose density, foam, I would think.

21. tmacracin

tmacracin

Thats what I was thinking. I think the foam they come with is really dense and doesn't look like it would flow that great. I've been looking for something similar to K&N material to make elements out of. My stacks already came with nice screens so I have that covered.

22. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

How practical would it be to cut down some of the K&N top elements and make them fit the stacks? You'd have to do some sort of frame around it of rubber or something, but fabrication doesn't seem to be an issue in that shop. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

23. tmacracin

tmacracin

I looked into that also, I wonder if K&N sells in a square sheet?

24. tmacracin

tmacracin

I did some searching and found Uni Filter sells filter material in bulk sheets 12"x16" and 12"x24". I have run there filters on dirtbikes and quads in the past and I was very happy with them. www.unifilter.com

25. Larry T

Larry T

This is the best flowing set up I could come up with for 2X4's. They are K&N with the high flow tops. Or you might be able to make a base for the carbs that would use something like a K&N filter for a factory multi carb setup (Chrysler 3X2's, Ford R car, etc.)
    Larry T

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  26. tmacracin

tmacracin

I have a set of K&N elements similar to those for my other chrome 7" filters I have. I will run them when I have the boost cranked up. the The velocity stacks will be on the street most of the time.

27. tmacracin

tmacracin

Making some more progress...... I made some new filters out of the UNI Filter material and they turned out really good. I will post pics when I can get them off my camera without smashing it

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  28. tmacracin

tmacracin

I just finished up drilling the stock panel for Autometer 3 1/8" speedo and 2 1/16" gauges. Also added a low oil pressure light in the center

Attached Files:

29. dv8

dv8

Looks good!

30. tmacracin

tmacracin

Mr Sibley has got my pickup pretty much finished up:) Now its time for me to drop in the motor/trans and plumb brakes,wire it,narrow the 9",ect,ect,ect. It came out pretty cool. It should have a nice stance once the blown SBC is dropped in

Attached Files: