Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New Pepsi Commercial.....O/T or maybe not....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

I wanna know how Eric got the gig also? First he was in the "Duh" Prius commercial, and now hes driving hot rods? I hope he's got the whole prius thing out of his system.... Wait.... isn't he supposed to be a hand model anyways!:rolleyes::)

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

Just saw the commercial again - and no hot rod in it. Maybe they censored it out here, so we don't get over stimulated and head into town, a whippin' and a whompin' and carryin' on... That British rock 'n' roll music makes me feel funny "down there"...

3. Plowboy

Plowboy

Nonsense! I drink at least 2 Cokes a day. If I don't, I get a splitting headache. If I drink 2 Pepsi's I still get a headache.

I think they went back to putting cocaine in Coke.

Besides, I can taste an obvious difference. It goes better with Jack Daniels as well.

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

was it his hot rod or was he just driving it? i dont know too many hot rodders (or HAMBers) that are good lookin enough to make me buy a product.

either way cool commercial.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Great music!
    Its what I listened to as I was growing up

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not a bad commercial for what it is. I am drinking a tasty fountain Pepsi right now as a matter of fact, but actually I prefer Coke. The fountain ones are the best. The bottle and can stuff of either doesn't seem as good anymore.

I do dig The Who for sure, but agree, they kind of blew it by not using an actual American band. Seems like a pretty dumb and obvious oversight. They should have used Louie Armstrong or another true American musical master - maybe even gone over the top current with the White Stripes.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Cool commercial - cooler car.

You guys remember the "American Reveoltion" commercial for the new Cadillac or Chevy ... they made a huge deal out of being all true grit American ... and when the car busts through the glass they play Led Zeppelin's RocknRoll? Laughable.

8. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Which one won the street race, I wanna know?:D

9. never ever heard his version of `my generation`...can i download it off limewire :D

10. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Naomi Klein's No Logo, 'The Das Kapital of the growing anti-corporate movement' as The Guardian called it. A truly frightening book.
    Some of the shit that Pepsi has been doing in your schools is absurd.

That ad makes me mad. Like Pepsi had anything to do with the fall of the Berlin Wall. Hell, all they could see when the wall came down was somewhere else to shove a vending machine.

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Artiki, true points and something to consider for sure.
    But, got to ask, you sure you are not over here in Berkeley? :D
    Let's maybe let the big picture and politics slide for now though as is expected on the hamb. It is cool they used some sweet old traditional cars to show.

12. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

"Coke and Pepsi are the same thing! Wake up people" is a line from the Simpsons. Homer yells it a passing car when he's pretending to be a crazy homeless person. I wasn't actually saying that I beleive them to be the same product.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  13. Killer commercial, so well done. I miss agency work so much. I spent the first half of my career as an art director. I've been in publishing and in-house marketing departments as of late. Maybe it's time to jump back in. Thanks for the inspiration.

14. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Cool commercial!

15. He's living in LA now Chris....He was in an episode of the Terminator tv show a few weeks back too.

16. Concur! Coke & Pepsi's about as much alike as Budweiser & Leinenkugel's. Both are good but Bud = instant headache. Leinie's are smooooooth & can drink 'em all day :D:D:D Big difference. Yeah, it'd have been nice to hear Buddy Holley or another BTB American band in the commercial. But at least they ain't singin' in Chinese with English subtitles. Great commercial.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Not a chance. I've taken the pepsi/coke compario at least 50 times and haven't been fooled yet. BTW, did you check what the person who told you that was smoking, or did you come up with that yourself.:rolleyes::D

Frank

18. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Refer to this post:

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I perfer Diet Coke, but the commerical is cool.

On the subject of Coke vs Pepsi, in my circle of friends it's proven fact that they perfer Coke over Pepsi. How do I know this? I still have a whole 12 pack of Pepsi that has been in my fridge for over a year. I have replaced the 12 pack of Coke, over and over again. Even at last years HAMB Mingle, no one helped themselves to the Pepsi but the Coke was almost all gone.

20. solid

solid

those are real cool, i have never seen them. thanks alot to all.

21. Don't like their new ad campaign. The whole Obamanation, hopey, changey logo tie in is just lame.

But heck, the commercial has Fishbone in it, so there's a redeeming quality.

22. Well............. I haven't seen any of those commercials!:confused: I guess I don't watch enough TV!:rolleyes::D

Oh, and people, remember, it's just a commercial! Try not to read too much into it.

23. customcory

customcory

They didn't include the drag racing scene in the one I'm seeing around here.:mad:

24. So we get an email a couple of weeks back at the Burbank Choppers site from someone looking for hot rods and customs for a big commercial. Ends up after some back and forth dialog with production managers, coordinators, and production designers, that they are looking to recreate a James Dean movie style drag race for Pepsi. At first, 6 of our cars were picked to work. After agency and client made their picks/cuts, it got narrowed down to Aaron's 32 for the drag race. It was a cold and long night of shooting. I drove Aaron's car down and got to drive it a few miles up the LA river basin near the 6th street bridge. Funny how most everyone there had no idea of the history and significance of that basin and early hot rod racing. There was a fair amount of water to drive through, but there were stretches where I was able to open her up and haul ass. Lemme tell you that it was just too fuckin cool.
    On with shooting. A precision driver by the name of Tanner drove the 32 in the shots. Eric the actor only got in the coupe for the "poor mans process" shot. The background cars and talent looked pretty cool, although it would have been nice to have a few more hot rods or customs here and there. Of course, at the end of the day, all of that hard work ends up being on screen for a few seconds. I guess that's Hollywood!!
    Here are some behind the scenes pics I shot. Enjoy, D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  25. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Cool commercial & great pics Dragnut!

26. Thanks Smokin, its just goin to work for me, but I figured some behind the scenes shots might be interesting for some of you guys to check out. D.

27. bonesy

bonesy

Pepsi doesn't equal traditional hot rods. That's all Coke.

28. JEPPA

JEPPA

Yup! got the same cut down version. Not so cool then. I was ready to show my daughter the cool cars when alll of a sudden "HIPPIES!:eek:"

29. bonesy

bonesy

But I do like the "race" - pretty cool.