Register now to get rid of these ads!

old car lot woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Jan 19, 2009.

1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

Guys, there's an old car lot here full of old cars some in pretty good shape others not soo much. You can't see what all is there from the road because of the overgrowth etc. I set up an appointment with the old man's daughter that owns it to go out and take a look today at lunch. On the phone she asks me "what car do you have in mind?" me:"not too sure i would like to see what all he has before just naming one." her :eek:k you can meet me out today at 1:00. So i take time out of my day to meet her. I pull up and she introduces herself, asks me what car i want. Told her the same thing " i dont know I can't see much from the highway so I'd like to take a look". her:"that's not they way we are going to do it, you tell me what car you want a buy it". asked her about parts too and she said that she is going to auction that all of in one block. I had been looking forward to this all week :confused:

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My guess is, she's been watching Barrett Jackson and thinks all the old mans junk is worth 10's of thousands. Perhaps approaching as a scrap dealer would be a better tack.

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You haven't dealt with people in a hurry before, have ya?

Missed a golden opportunity to lay down a flat price for cars of your choosing. "any 3 I want at $300 apiece" kinda thing. The person she was hoping to meet would've done that, and the counteroffer would've been a sign that it would be a "clean deal" for her. Meaning you're properly equipped to remove them, she never hears about you or those cars after payment. Lotta people in the junk car buying game aren't equipped properly for buying/removal and become a seller's nightmare. Doesn't sound like your first impression went right, and she foresaw problems

Asking bout parts probably didn't help your case with that type of seller.

better luck next time

4. Joatha

Joatha

"I'm looking for a rust-free 30's, 40's or 50's Chrysler, Ford, or GM product. What do you have?"

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so are you saying you didn't get to go look because you didn't mention which car you wanted that you can't see?

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I would have said "A Model A". That would get you in at least.

7. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

that's exactly what i'm saying. what car do you want? oh yeah give me the ones i can't see from the highway because of the overgrowth. she was blonde and driving a range rover to boot

8. That'll work. Get a few guys to call and offer her so much per ton as scrap or offer to cart it away before the EPA gets after her. Be creative.

Bob

9. Balls Out Garage

Balls Out Garage
    from Arkansas

She probably thinks she has more money than time...or something like that...

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I can see the lot owner's point of view. My time is too valuable for 'lookie-loos". I deal with people that know what they want. There's only so many hours in a day. Spending time just to serve somebody's curiosity isn't a good way to spend the day for most people.

11. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

i see your point BUT how do you even know what's out there without looking?

12. James427

James427
    BANNED

I've been in that situation a few times. Starting an argument with her wasn't the way to handle it. You just need to pick a make/brand/model and get yourself in the door letting her know that you would be interested in more than one. Like "I'm looking for anything from the 30's that can be built back up, can you show me those that you have" Once in there, you can say "I'd be interested in buying one of those there too." (notice I said BUYING, not looking). There is a fine art to being able to size up a situation in seconds and making the right move. It takes time and practice. You just learned a valuable lesson for next time.

Whenever I go to look at a car, I carry cash. Nothing stops the bull like whipping out a thick roll of hundreds to show that you came to buy, not just look.

13. rainh8r

rainh8r

I ran into this a number of years ago when a woman wanted to get rid of 150+ cars in her yard. She asked for sealed bids on everything and then, after everyone bid, she threw them all out and went with a local auction company that had been selling their services to her. She got about 25% of what the sealed bids were and she wasn't happy. Even less so after 2 guys from Cal gave her a rubber check (who takes a check?) for her late brother's perfect, original down to the upholsery and hubcaps, 41 Willys coupe. I'd offered to help her and do whatever was necessary to get her decent money for the cars, but the auction company sold her very well and she had visions of cash pouring in without any effort.

14. 49coupe

49coupe

I just think she can't be bothered selling anything one at a time. I was at an auction held to dispose of the estate of car collector who also ran an auto parts business. Stuff went for 1/4 of what it was worth because the auctioneer put everything into big lots. Easier for him. Who wants to buy 40 generators or 10 complete 49-51 Ford interiors.

At the end of the day the estate was happy because they had cash. I think she's waited a little too long. Scrap is way down and not too many people are walking around with $10,000s in cash to buy complete yards full of cars.

15. Greg D

Greg D

I was picking up 4 partial loads down by Mc Allen Tx last week. Right off of US 83 west of US 281 right around San Juan/Donna area there is a lot with what looked like nothing newer than 1970 on the south side of the hiway. I couldn't stop (dock times) but it's right on the access road, pretty easy to see from the hiway. Sorry I don't have more info.

16. RodStRace

RodStRace

Some good advise here. I think if I were in that situation, I'd have thought to myself what is the holy grail for me? I'd say something like 1933 Ford 3 window coupe. If she said none of those, I'd go down the dream list. I'd also have my truck, trailer and winch right there, and a pocket full of cash.

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Lotta people ready to ask for rust free stuff when talking bout old cars sitting outdoors neglected and a seller who's completely out of touch with the inventory. Great way to announce yourself as a time waster right from the start. Do you think that lady even knows what the hell a model A is?

I am beginning to wonder if some of you have actually ever met other human beings, or exchanged money and goods with them.

18. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Never mind that... blonde, drives a Range Rover (ie: wealthy) and has a bunch of old project cars... and you have her number? :rolleyes:

I would have suspected a time waster or possibly somebody wanting to case the place for a future theft.

19. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

not to mention the place has been broken into several times they installed a huge barbwire fence and two HUGE rots guard it now. I've had friends stop on the property line to take a look from their cars and had guns pulled on them.:D

20. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

Gentlemen some people you cant deal with, you have to show up with cash and be ready to walk(drive) away if they give you problems.Money is the grease for the wheels of commerce!If they start talking that Barrett- Jackson smack pull out the show tickets reposition them for comfort then say "Thanks anyway." and walk away.You wiil be amazed how that gets the negotiations going.I sold cars in New Mexico for 5yrs.and got to know a few tricks.Works pretty good at dealerships too.

21. I can see the owners point also. I personally have wasted time on my share of lookers:mad:. Some act like i am providing some kind of free museum! Also they always seem to show up on the nice days when i want to be outside playing with my toys.I am going to start charging $10.00 per person for looking refundable if they purchase and pay cash for a car that day:cool:. The ones that i am really trying to sell will be parked out front with the price on the windsheld. Maybe this will weed out the serious buyers from them that state that they will be back. Maybe if you had offered some money to pay for the owners time she would of let you look. In the end after all is said and done they are her property to do with as she wishes.

22. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

She might also be wary of a State or local Inspector pretending to be a buyer just to get inside and cause her and Daddy trouble. They may already have had that experience.