Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy Lowering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jan 16, 2009.

1. roddinron

roddinron

I just flipped the eyes and dearched my 54, but haven't gotten it back together yet. I've read that the rivet on the front mount can crack the spring, did you grind yours down?
    Can anyone recommend a good source for bushings, or maybe some from something else that fits?

2. NCrod

NCrod

Ya know I didn't hear about that :eek:...well i could see that happening. I haven't had any problem with mine yet but I haven't had much road time with mine at all yet. I'll take a look at it when I get home. As for bushings check out www.fillingstation.com . Thats where I got mine from and they have great service.

3. adamshumard

adamshumard

ok, dumb kid here, but what do you mean flipped the eyes and dearched the springs? My guess is turned the leafs over or something along those lines??

thanks

ps any pics of that?

4. Do a search in the titles for dearching. There are a couple of good threads that will explain it to you. Todd

5. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

In order to de-arch the springs, take them to a spring shop and let them know what you're doing. The term is "de-arch". It basically means that they will go thru the process of straightening the spring to make it more flat. Instead of having an arch to it, they'll take some of that arch out and make it flatter thus bringing down the rear end.

The term "reverse eyes" is used to describe the ends of the springs. Those are referred to as the "eyes" of the spring. If you look at yours now, the spring probably loops under the spring end. When they reverse it , it will loop over the top, thus bringing down the rear end.

If you've never done this before, take it to a shop and let them know what you'd like to do.

Keep in mind if you bring it down too low, you need to c notch the rear of the frame and maybe make room for your driveshaft.

Show us some pics of your project. Maybe some others will have other ideas for you.....

6. Fast_'Nel

Fast_'Nel
    from France

[​IMG]

I have Jamco's 3 inches lowered leaves in the back with 1 inch blocks. Next step will be a notch (homemade, I don't think Gambino can ship his kit to Europe) with 4 inches (or more?) blocks.

In front I have Jamco's 3 inches lowered coils. (I don't know if it's a good idea to put dropped uprights on top of that for a total of 5 inches.)

bags on all 4 corners maybe one day...

7. roddinron

roddinron

You don't need to go to a spring shop, it's a fairly simple thing to do really. I used my friends press to do it, but you can even do it with a BFH.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After they were reversed I even made some nylon sliders from some material a friend gave me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man they work nice now!
    Remember to grind off that rivet head, even dish it some, then weld over it but keep it flat. I also welded the edge of the bracket and body mount to the frame as well.