Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I put this...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Carbs & Chrome, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalshapes

metalshapes

Dont get too attached to this Thread, it probably isn't going to last that long.

You make some good points, except for this one.

That comparison is disrespectfull to the Real Victims of Real racism, bigotry, and segregation in my opinion.

Their suffering is quite a bit different from the Hot Rodder on the HAMB who got his little feelings hurt...

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well I think one thing to remember is ,,when you get a "what do you think" or similar post,,you are going to get opinions ,,no way round that..but then for the poster to lash back at someone cause they did'nt give approval or maybe the reply the poster wanted ,well you get the idea.. There are posts that will be more opinion questions and with people having different views and thoughts ,,not everyone is going to agree and we all really need to understand that. Though all to often it does turn into name calling ,,hollier than thou,,or lots of silly pictures..I can totally agree with the S-10 etc stuff,when i see the "Traditional" word tossed out there ( even though I have my own concept of what that word mean,,as I'm sure others do ) I wanna say ,,well whats with all teh S-10,,Mustang 2,, and 700AR ( or whatever automatic trans ) stuff. Hell even the technology used to make some parts folks are anymore would not be "T". People have and ask for opinions so trying to have a civilized outcome is gonna be hard. Any more most posts are'nt worth reading or replying to.

3. I appreciate your thoughts, but this thread just adds fuel to the O/T fire. As far as the other threads, as Fred said, refraining from posting and bumping them to the top lets them die peacefully.

With 50k or so members, this will happen again and again. Just ignore it.

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Somewhere along the way things take a turn in a direction that "we" may or may not like here. I agree totally with Carbs & Chrome on this and hopefully I haven't been guilty of it. If I have it wasn't intentional or without warrant. I spend alot of time here reading and learning and once in awhile even being able to help a fellow hot rodder out. If somebody doesn't like the way a member built his or her car it doesn't mean they have to get rude or arrogant. They can simply skip the thread if the're not into it. Traditional can mean differant things to differant people. My own car isn't what I would consider traditional for this board but it is certainly a hot rod meaning that some guys might not like the tunnelram or the stout cam and big tube headers or whatever but it's still a flat black 55 chev. that hopefully will be done someday. Buying already built cars is ok with me if you don't have the time, shop, tools, talent, help or what ever whether it's steel or glass. Some of us just can't accomplish things that we want so maybe we pay for it rather than go without what we want. After all, it's their car and they should be able to do what THEY want the way THEY want without being attacked here. We all should be here for the same reason and to me that's helping out when possible, maybe throwing ideas at people building cars that ask for an opinion and asking for help or maybe asking for help for yourself. It's a great place here and I don't know about anybody else but I'm just waiting for spring so I can get to the garage and get going again. Just my long winded .02

5. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I am going to the shop now. I have a car that I am working on. It is cold out there but it will warm up when the metal starts to burn. THANKS Carbs & Chrome , You have guts and style, and I like both.

7. 38plymouth

38plymouth

When you really think about it and compare what you may type on a keyboard as opposed to what might be said in person, it's most likely gonna be different. Computers and the internet are invaluable resources of info but has its pitfalls as well.

All we have to do is imagine commenting to someone in person. A keyboard and computer monitor are a bit impersonal. We tend to type out those little thoughts like "that really looks like shit" or "I would never do that to my car".
    While in person we might say " as long as you're happy with it" or "did you have fun doing it?"

However there are those who are negative no matter where they are. Takes all kinds. Just my two cents.....

8. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

my 2 cents worth - I'll sum it up for ya

HYPROCRIT -- HYPOCRITE
    the H in H.A.M.B.

To each their own" is a saying many use. did not know the hamb was discriminating against people. That and segregation was stopped years ago or so i thought. does not always apply to color of skin. maybe year and model of car or truck.

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

There's not much difference in this thread than the threads (& posters) it complains about.

In my opinion, if you want to embrace traditional hot rods, don't get mixed-up in the stuff you don't like. (Especially don't put a whole new thread about it, you're only inviting a different class of complainer... me included, right?) Perhaps post informative threads? A lot of the defecation I see, I think, comes from people being bored or not knowing much.

I don't read O/T threads so much and since there's a lot lately I find myself in the tech archives or searching topics I'm interested. Sometimes I miss on new things because I'm reading "old stuff" so much.

I lurked here anonymously for over a year because I had so much respect for the information and the people delivering it, and truthfully, I had nothing to say. I probably could lurk another year more because so much of it's been shared already.

This stuff above doesn't interest me, it's not why I'm here.

This stuff below is some of the stuff that does. In the end, isn't that why we're all here? Right? I'd certainly hope so.

Attached Files:

10. ktscustom

ktscustom

hell yah!!! i am one of the young guys. at 30. i have been lucky, i started young with my father and his friends learning all i could when i could. i dont know it all, and i have found this to be a good place for info.
    i understand what this place is about and its cool...
    BUT
    as my father told me a long time ago. a hotrod is a cutom car however you build it. a custom is just that a custom.

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Too many enjoy ''Playing King of the Mountain'' some people do not know how to be happy for others..but only for themselves.......walk thru the mine field and enjoy the Hamb some will never change.....Littleman

12. My momma told me if you can't say somthing good about somthing than keep your mouth shut. Simple wisdom, great advice and words to live by.

13. i'm a newer member.....was directed here from another "hot rod" site by a fellow Hamber and topolino owner....find the place incredible...in so far as info...AND in so far as bitchin and fighting....still i read here every morning , first thing 7 days a week..the Hamb is where i wake up...i hit it several times a day on my of days..last thing i do before bed, the Hamb...a traditional board for traditional rods...great site, great info....i'm trying to build my topolino, Lil Beast, as traditional as possible....WITH SAFTEY IN MIND.....i guess i'm lucky that my car would be traditional even if i go sbc....was a very common motor for topo's on the strip, "BACK IN THE DAY" ...BUT I HAVE OPTED FOR DISC BRAKES.........so is it, for the hard core here, a NON-TRADITIONAL ROD""????i guess it would be....but i haven't been bashed for my disc brakes..not yet...and compared to alot of the members here, hell i don't have a lick of talent....but i'm still trying to assemble "MY IDEA OF A TRADITIONAL TOPOLINO".....SO I GUESS WHAT I'M GETTING AT, IS SOME SEE TRADITIONAL AS ONE THING AND ANOTHER SEES IT TOTALLY DEFFERENT......makes me wonder how guys looked at the first guy in their group to show up with reversed rims instead of wire rims...everyone here was oooowww and aaawww in over the group of guys in the old pic from this thread.........http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?t=274313....did dude get cut down for NOT HAVING WIRE WHEELS???????????

i would have to say , DON'T THINK SO....maybe the first guy to show up hit a bad bump and crumpled a wire wheel...and he felt safer without wire rims...or maybe he was tired of looking at wire wheels everywhere he went...kinda fits the bashing of red painted rims..or flat black primer or...??????

the Hamb is going to be veiwed in many different lites by many different people..same with TRADITIONAL....it's just a matter of WHERE TO DRAW THE LINE.....OR IF A LINE SHOULD BE DRAWN.....discourage younger guys from joining??? hate old guys like me for wanting a traditional topolino, BUT also wanting to stop as best as i possibly can on a rainy day???

tough call...i just hope it doesn't get too out of hand....hell i'ld be lost if it wasn't for the Hamb....for that matter, i'ld still be out in the garage freezin my ass off playing with my vega....:eek:....so i guess right there is a damn good reason for the Hamb to keep on truckin.....hopefully it will ...and hopefully the older guys will just keep on trying to "SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT TRADITIONAL RODDING TO HOODLUMS WORLD WIDE"......

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't allow trash talking. I delete it instantly. If you see ANY, just report it - I'll take care of it. It really is that easy. Promise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.