Register now to get rid of these ads!

DEUCE OF SPADES HOTROD FILM UPDATES - photos from the Saugus and dry lake shoots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Actually it's a "Whippet", but you are right, it is a smaller greyhound!!!
    He is our cute little boy!!!

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"When a problem come along, you must Whippet." - Devo

3. daddio211

daddio211

Whippet good!!!

4. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

You guys are cracking me up :D !! What a cute dog!! It's so cool (and funny) to see a doggie wearing a Deuce of Spades T-Shirt, he has to be my first four legged fan... That's way cool.

Hmmmm... Now maybe I have to do a canine subtitles version of the DVD?? ;)

5. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

31tudor, I like your ride LOLOLOL...

PS: One good word of advice though. Next time don't wash it in hot water. Makes 'em SHRINK ;).

6. Cant wait to see the film, its a subject no one has covered acurate, way to go!

7. Pretty sure, he'd like it!!!
    [​IMG]

8. daddio211

daddio211

No, it didn't shrink... I just keep bigger and bigger, but I refuse to grow up!

And my wife just said, "No shit!"

9. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

HALLELUYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday (Saturday) we tackled the last section of wiring (gauges, relays and last misc wires, grounds left). We started at 9AM.

WE WENT AT IT WITHOUT STOP FOR 24 HOURS. We only took ONE lunch break. I entirely wired the gauge panel, made new connectors, a new plug etc... I then worked under the dash alongside Jimmy - and sometimes solo - for over 12 hours straight.

At 9 AM Sunday morning we finally hit the starter button, for the first time in 5 weeks. Having made so many changes, including the generator, fuel pump, and a complete 100% rewiring, I was pretty sure the roadster would never start and would need a good 3 days of trouble shooting. :( Especially since it had been sitting, idle, for so long (and my deuce hates sitting around)

I hit the starter button and heard a ZAP and a crank (I now have a remote Ford silenoid activating my GM silenoid - and it ZAPS :D) and it was instantly followed by the load roar of my engine !!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SAY WHAT??? THE DEUCE STARTED AFTER ONE SINGLE CRANK AND WITHOUT EVEN GIVING GAS????????? And it had been sitting for 5 weeks???

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

JIMMY, JERRY, MARK I LOVE YOU GUYS! These guys are heros. Selfless, generous, kickass, wonderful brothers, I am honored and blessed to have you in my life. You guys all did such a marvelous job and we are finally DONE.

My deuce has never run as smoothly... Can't wait to take it for a spin... My electrical current is much stronger now than it was before and my engine is getting fed generously by the new Holley fuel pump.

I am really BEAT but I am in heaven. I got my LOVE back, my roadster... I was dying without it...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh... Now I can go to sleep and have SWEET dreams.

Photos coming soon...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  10. Abomination

Abomination

Awesome!!!

Can't wait for pictures! :D

~Jason

11. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Took the deuce for a long spin, the temps were 80F :D, had a smile up to my ears the whole way... It is spunkier than ever. Laid under the car at the gas station to check for fuel leaks... Looking good so far...

Tomorrow we take the generator braket off and redo the top braket, whihc is not quite fitting right and needs some custom modifications.

Friday I am off to Kent Weaver to fabricate some hard lines for the tri-power.

I also intend to work on my trunk next, looking into some aluminum panels.
    if anyone has some cool photo of aluminum trunk set ups please post them here or PM them to me.

Here are some photos of my handy wiring work (connectors etc...), looms etc...

A general view of my engine compartment's wiring (distributor, ignition coil, generator, silenoid etc...), which, I am proud to say, I did entirely myself, guided by Jimmy. Where are the wires??? You ask... My point exactely [​IMG].

[​IMG]

The loom, which contains all the headlights and horn and fan wires in it, had been organized by Mark but I finished connecting the wires to their final destination and then organized them and covered them in the cloth covered nostalgia looking loom.

[​IMG]

the loom then goes into the firewall...

[​IMG]

All the wiring linking distributor, ballast resistor, ignition coil and sensors was done by me, I also did every connector and I am very pleased with how they turned out. [​IMG] I used old school cloth covered black wires, no crimping and thorough soldering.

[​IMG]

A closer look at my handy work

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, under the car, I passed the torch to Jerry to install the pressure regulator and this is what he was able to rig up to fit everything in that tiny bit of space, without getting in the way of the 4 link suspension.

[​IMG]

Soon after that photo was taken, I mounted a weather pack 1 wire connector to the fuel pump power wire and now it is all hooked up.

[​IMG]

When we first tried to fire up the car we had ZERO fuel pressure... :confused: Turned out we had mounted the pump backwards cause we flipped it over, so it was pumping AIR into the GAS TANK :rolleyes: :p

We had a good laugh about this booboo (DUH!!).

Well, here we are I am HAPPY as can be and pretty tired after sleeping only 4 hours in the last 48 hours. I am going to hit the sack early tonight!!! :D (and dream about the deuce)

12. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

The wiring and other updates are looking very nice Faith!! Your experience working on the Deuce proves several of my basic philosophies: 1) Everything takes longer than you expect, 2) It takes three attempts to fix something, and 3) Murphy's Law works everytime. Good luck!!!

13. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Isn't that the truth!! :rolleyes:

14. Abomination

Abomination

Amazing!

The way I solder, it's more like, "If you can't solder good, solder a LOT". :D

~Jason

15. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Ok, got my bracket back and now my gene is mounted. The weather is so GREAT right now and just when I got my bracket back, I dropped my seat for repairs so I still can't drive :mad:... RATS!

Repairs are progressing nicely now, we are moving fast. Tomorrow I meet with Kent Weaver, who did a marvelous job at fixing my tripower, and we work on my center carb a bit more. Got hard line from Charlie at Vintage speed and looking forward to the short, simple design to feed my three deuces. I am going for the 2 lines welded to the third one system, no fuel log. 3/8" lines, should feed enough, even if I floor it (which I do too often LOL).

Sunday Jerry and I are back for another marathon session (but not a 25 hour one I hope :eek:) - This time we are working on doing new panels for the trunk and covering it with Naugahyde, since I was told this is pretty much what most the guys did back in the fifties for their trunks. We're doing it ourselves to save $$ and cause I like to DIY. ;)

Got a 1955 tag for my plate :)

[​IMG]

Sunday I am getting my 1955 chevy horns. :D

Mid next week, my hard line should come in and we have to put it on the tri -power... Then off to get carpetting. I finally will have clean carpet, without holes and burns and with floor mats... :eek: Wow! What a concept!

Meanwhile, here are a few photos from our famous 25 hour marathon wiring session last week-end:

Jimmy and I lay the wires under the dash:

[​IMG]

Here rewiring my gauge panel and making a new plug for it:

[​IMG]

connecting the gauge panel and routing the wires:

[​IMG]

Snoozing under the car at 3AM... While working on the fuel pump situation...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  16. Abomination

Abomination

Those are some SAVAGE KICKS!!!!! I guess if you like to press the go pedal as hard as you like to do, it doesn't hurt to have a pair of stompers like those! LOL! :D

And that license plate totally goes with that car! :D

Whenever I do under-dash work, my arms feel like I've done like a million push-ups afterwards... were you guys sore?

~Jason

17. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

The car is lookin great. You guys are doing some really nice work. The wiring looks great. Wiring is always a drag I think. You always learn alot but it still isn't much fun. I have to completely rewire a 67 GTO/Lemans here in a week or so. I will be feeling your pain and the long hours also.

18. Thank god for jimmy.. The man of unlimited patience and talent.. Damn good looking fellow too... But... Who is that mark guy?

19. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Are you referring to my vintage combat boots?? :) ("these boots were made for walking" said the song ;)) - Love 'em. been on stage so many times with them, these boots must have done at least 300 live shows when I had my rock band.

20. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

WEEEHEEEE...

Picked up my seat today, (two springs were poking out from it so Chatsworth Auto Upholstery fixed it for me). We patched the holes, cause I don't have money to redo the seat right now, but at least no more tearing my pants on the sharp edges. :rolleyes:

I was in for a nice surprise when Javier told me that I have an original 1932 seat (the vinyl, needless to say , is not).

And to think that my actors during some scenes, jumped over the closed doors and landed on that 75 year old seat... Repeatedly, take after take...And that it didn't completely disintegrate...Goes to show that "they just dont make them like they used to!" ;)...

Anyways. I am happy, cause the more old, original stuff on my hotrod, the better.

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I believe he's referring to the chrome cylinder mounted vertically near the radiator in this picture (below).
    yes the radiator overflow tank . thank you .
    nice boots ! i remember them ! LOL .................. steve

22. Abomination

Abomination

I sure am!

They're totally rad... like The Crow! ;)

~Jason

23. Abomination

Abomination

They JUMPED on it?
    :eek::eek::eek:

Post a few pics of your patches - I have a few I need done, and was wondering how well those kinds of repairs turn out.

My F2 seat is my couch right now, and my cat got to it. :(

It's not bad, but it made me start ignoring his cries when the dog humps him... damn cat. Hope he enjoys the prison love - that'll teach him to claw my seat!

~Jason

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  24. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Jason, how do you always manage to make me completely crack up? :D You have a whicked sense of humour man!

OK, to answer your questions:

1- Did we have sore arms the next day from working under the dash so long? NO. I have very strong arms because of filming for one year straight, and hauling my camera and tripod which are very heavy - all over the place. So I didn't feel sore at all - my back however, was another thing. Since I just had a whiplash from a small car accident a week prior (no, not with my deuce and no , it was 100% the fault of the idiot who rear ended the jaguar behind me - and then the jaguar rear ended me) , and was working under the car when I was not supposed to... Well...
    :rolleyes:

2- Seat paches: You can tell there is two small tears, but they are so small (size of a pea) it really doesn't phase me. He took some of the vinyl from under the seat and affixed it under the holes, so you can't see the springs, but rather, a same color vinyl. You can still tell there is a small hole though, of course, but it is less of an eye sore. As I said I have zero funds to fix the seat properly now. Maybe later?

3- Jump on the seat, yes, from jumping into the car, over the closed doors, landing on the seat - have you not seen the jalopy race and notice Johnny didn't bother to open his door, but rather, jumped over it and landed in the car? No? then watch it again:

[​IMG]

25. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I think it came from Speedway Motor... Really basic stuff, nothing fancy.

26. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

UPDATES FROM DEUCELAND

Yesterday I drove the deuce to work - it was DEAD in the water in the morning - pump not worky. :(. It was so cool that I knew exactely what to do to prime it, hotwired it to my battery, bypassing everything, and that I knew exactely how to undo the weather pack connector (since I am the one who made it in the first place). It was cool that I knew how to bypass my automatic shutoff switch too. ;).. . Since I am teh one who wired it.

hehehehehe...

Having fixed the deuce I zipped to work then at 3Pm zipped to Kent and he rebuilt the center carb, swapping the 69 carb for my newly donated mid fifties carb (thank you Jerry!!!). Surgery went smoothly, all inner pieces were completely interchangeable. We took the jets, float, gutts etc out of 69 and shlapped them in the 56. Deuce fired up right away. Kent then gave it a tune up and dialed the mixture and emmissions. :)

Took it for a spin.... Boy it was spunky... Flooring it resulted in the car going sideways... then fishtailing... Hmmmm.... Fun fun!

So now I have 3 matching early rochesters carb from a mid fifties true tri-power set up.

Only problem is: I am not full throttle. Kent said the 2 outside carbs are barely opening up when I floor the gas pedal, cause the cable does not have enough travel. Said when I fix this "Then you will really have something"...

Guess the deuce is a beast half asleep right now... Dare to wake it up?

GRRRRRRROAAAARRRRRRRRR

I'll try to post some pics of carb rebuild here soon.

27. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Wake that beast up and then give it hell. It should have alot more go with all three carbs fully on board. You might give your self whiplash with all the carbs going wide open and it won't even require a Jaguar hitting you from behind.

28. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya know ive followed your movie stuff all along and i just gotta say them legs of yours should wake up most everything including the deuce..
    Dave :D

29. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

I think there are only about 5 women in all of Los Angeles County who can figure out auto repairs like HiboyGirl. She is awesome! Great job!!!

30. Abomination

Abomination

That son-of-a-bitch cat is totally getting the dachshund love he deserves, man. And dachshunds are totally made for ONE THING: humping felines. In fact, Tralfaz, conquer of cats, is in the next room "conquering" one now...

1. Being a master of subterfuge, apparently you're hiding those big guns (arms) - Woe to the poor bastard that doesn't recognize and you have to throw down... ;)

Shit... sorry about the daily driver! Hopefully dude's insurance is going to work fixing it up for you right now. At least it wasn't the DOS, and it didn't totally mess you up. I know you resist the Ibuprofen, but it's not a gateway drug, I SWEAR. Pop about 700MG and call me in the morning - it'll work. :)

2. Yeah, I've got squat to fix my seat, too. Jack Squat. Zero, Zilch. It bites.

My main goal is to prevent any tearing, and if I can effect a sort of repair that accomplishes this, and making it look a little bit less like crap, then so be it. I guess there's always a new seat cover from EZ Boy... they don't suck - check 'em out: http://www.rodinteriors.com/

Maybe when the Hot Rod Fairy visits... I need to leave a carburetor under my pillow, though. I can tell he's been there by the spent cigarettes outside my window, and the fleeting glimpse of his dirty Carhart jacket. Wait a minute... maybe that's a stalker! Wait a sec while I call the cops...

3. Yeah, I saw dude jump on the seat. But at the time, I was all like, "Holy shit, that's the coolest thing since The Dukes of Hazzard", rather than, "Hey! You could be popping the springs on Faith's seat! OMFG!" Yes - it was cool enough to make me totally pass it over.

But yeah, I guess they DON'T make 'em like they used to. It's an original Ford seat... it'll take it. Mine has survived multiple attempts at making it into a converted temporary trampoline by two little girls. I have to admit, it really is awfully cool... they catch about a foot of air on it sometimes! But of course I have to suck the fun out of everything and make them stop - I AM someone's dad, after all. Besides, I'd feel like shit if a spring came through and someone ended up bleedin' everywhere. :(

Meanwhile, I hope you're feelin' better. Back pain sucks... especially when you turn or move in a way that makes your body hate you. :)

~Jason

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.