Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1949windsor, Jan 15, 2009.

1. 1949windsor

1949windsor

I decided to paint my car the Hot Rodz black. Got me a gallon last Thursday. It was pretty windy here on Saturday so I figured I would finish any minor sanding and get everything prepped for Sunday and hope for a calmer day. Woke up Sunday morning to a perfect day: Dry, the Santa Ana winds had stopped and it was going to be about 75 degrees out. Who could ask for more. I built my temporary paint booth out of PVC and clear painters plastic. Wiped down the car, tacked all the dust off and sprayed on the first coat. Not to bad waited about 20 minutes and sprayed the second coat.... Just as I am finishing the final coat the wind started gusting 10 to 15 miles an hour! WTF!:eek:

The plastic started ripping and blew onto the car before it hardened. Now I am running around the car and pulling off the plastic and the dust in the air blows onto the car! Needless to say the new ways to curse and swear that I had learned while chopping the car, now were only a memory...I would have been immediatley elected into the hall of fame of profanity if there were such a thing.

It looks ok until you get about 10 feet away but I did not spend all that time for the end result I got.
    [​IMG]

I plan on wet sanding the whole thing down on saturday but don't know if I should respray the black or go with a satin clear. Can some one give me some direction and advise which way to go.

thanks
    Brandon

2. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

More than likely you will sand through in some spots so forget the clear and re shoot with black.

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

There's a good chance your going to need to take off almost all of what you put on. You got through 2 coats? You're going to end up cutting thorugh most of it to get out whatever texture the plastic put in. I would vote to respray the black, just to be sure you have complete coverage after you fix it.

The other thing is, satins can't be buffed. So you need to make triple sure that nothing gets into the paint otherwise theres really no effective way to remedy it. What you spray is what you get.

4. speedhammer

speedhammer
    from maryland

I'm with him. You probably will sand thru so more balck is the way to go. I know I will probably catch hell for this but I spayed my car with a semigloss Rustoleum because it was only supposed to be temporary so I went super cheap and a coastal (East coast meaning snow included) year later without the car ever seeing a garage it looked just as good as the day I laid it down. Sprayed it with Flatz and couldn't get rid of the water spots. Had a hair up my ass to flake the roof, screwed it up royal (put too much reducer in clear) and had to repaint the whole thing. Using Rustoleum.

5. 1949windsor

1949windsor

Unfortunately that is what I thought. I was trying to look for something positive and mabey end up with a clear coat. It only touched in a few places and the damage was not that bad. I sparayed some additional paint where it touched right away hoping for some automotive miracle to happen and have everything just even itself out. LOL yeah that worked. If I do not sand through any of the paint would it be better to use a clear coat?

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

On the damaged areas of your paint job, will it be possible to panel paint just the bad areas, re shoot those areas, allow the entire job to dry & sand, then shoot the clear of your choice?
    If the damage is too extensive, a complete reshoot is probably going to be in the cards. I'd wait for our weird winter weather to settle down before I'd try a reshoot in your outdoor booth.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

7. 1949windsor

1949windsor

I did add an additional coat over the damaged areas so there is a lot of paint on there

8. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

flats and satins have a tendency to not match the second go around. whether its flatter or glossier.

id shoot the whole thing.

see if u could rent a booth from a local body shop for a couple hours to spray. or borrow a buddies garage for an afternoon.

the wheather has been awesome the last week. i dont always spray in a booth, and have to make do in the shop, but if u can get a nice clean area and some fans, ull be ok.

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

What would you gain by shooting a flat clear that you wouldn't get by shooting some more black? It seemes like you're trying to cling to the clear and I'm not sure why. I'd say its easier and cheaper to reshoot the black, even if you spot it in the bad areas and then come back with a full coat. Not to mention it guarantees you full coverage and an even sheen.

10. I wouldn't panic. I shot the inner fenders of my C-10 truck out in the open air with satin black. Of course, I had a good day with little wind but it was completely exposed. I say scuff it down good with a coarse scotch brite pad and then with a mild one. Wait for a good day and wipe it down with paint prep and shoot it again in the open. The early morning or late afternoon works best. If you can pull it in the garage to let it dry with out screwing it up, do it. If you can shoot in the garage and then pull the door down to let it dry, all the better. I'm getting ready to do the same thing with my model A truck soon. My satin black always comes out with a mild orange peel which I don't mind because it hides well, which is why I went with this paint process in the first place. Hope this helps.... Ron

11. 1949windsor

1949windsor

I don't have a preference some people have told me it is better to have a clear coat rather than just paint?? I am going to spray it black again cause that seems to be the consensus.

Asking for help and then not following the advice you get, well you know not the smartest prescription for success.:D

thanks for the help. This time in the garage though (with paint booth as well)

12. Cirilian

Cirilian

If you're shooting a single stage product and hotrod flatz is then there is no advantage to shooting clear over it. You could also run into potential compatability issues between the two. Also if you have the extra paint on hand why even bother geting some clear??

I would definitely reshoot the whole thing after a good scuff job. Also you may be able to hit the bad spots with some primer to help level things out and avoid having to sand everything completely off those areas.

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

OK let me clarify. They meant leaving a basecoat without a clear or primer open is not good. In your case, Hot Rod Flatz is a single stage product. Meaning that the UV protection and durability is built in. Anotherwords the clear is built in to the black already and theres no need for any extra cear in top. Dig?

Get yourself some more black, or use what you have left and go that route. Its the best way in your case.

14. 1949windsor

1949windsor

Got it tonight

Thanks for the clarification. I love this place. I don't know how the old timers did all this stuff in the past without the resources we have today at our finger tips. trial and error is expensive and frustrating. This place is one of the best things that ever happened to hot rods.
    Brandon

15. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

ur right.

id be picky anyway and want to shoot the WHOLE thing over cuz it would more then likely not match on gloss.

besides, kustomshop does NOT recommend shooting a flat clear over there flat black because it is too much flat going on and makes it look like shit.

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Me too, but now he knows exactly why and isn't just taking our opinion.

I think he said he was using Hot Rod Flatz, which to the best of my knowledge is OMNI MTK pre-flattened. Any PPG clear would work over that.

As for the Kustomshop, I have no idea.