Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts Washer Rebuild/solvents?.. I hope I posted in the right spot.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A31ModelA, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Hey everyone I hope I am not posting this in the wrong spot. If so can the mod's delete it or repost in the right spot for me. I was not sure if it was really a tech article or just me babbling.

Here is a link for the pictures..

http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/v/users/Jeepfreak/Parts+Washer/

I'll start off with this ting is OLDDDDDDD well to me anyway. Its at least 25 yrs old. It used to be an old Safety Kleen unit. My dad and I got i back in the late 80's and cleaned it up and repainted it RED/BLACK. Well the pump finally crapped out a while back and I never replaced it. Since I have been cleaning up te garage in the anticipated move to SAN ANTONIO, Texas, I decided to rebuild it before I got moved up there. I looked around the net, and here locally and finally found that Granger had a really nice pump, that was similar to the original. I guess after 25 yrs it was ok for the old pump to die. It really wasnt dead, but it was a sealed unit and the wires were so hard and dried out they finally broke off.

I spent about $125 on the pump, new hose and clamps. I had another switch(it will bereplaced with a sealed one once I move) New wire and a Plug. I thought about giving it up and jus tbuying a new one, but after having heart failure on the price of a similar Parts Washer I decided my $125 to rebuild this one would be worth the effort.

Now for the real question I will more than likely run VARSOL in it. What do you guys run in yours? I thought about the aqueous soulutions, but I really dont want the nasty oily film left behind. I normally use gloves when using the washer so cancer from the solvents and stuff like that do not worry me. I was looking at some of the ZEP products, and on monday will try and find a local dealer with pricing. I can get a 55 gallon drum of varsol for $153 here locally. What are you guys paying for your parts washer solvents?

Again I hope this is posted in the right spot.

2. Flatman

Flatman

I use Varsol at home, but at work we have both Varsol and a bio/water based parts cleaner from a company called Walter. It leaves a slimy film, but is a lot easier on the nose and skin.
    From habit, I prefer the Varsol. Biological stuff worries me a bit...:D

Flatman

3. butchr

butchr

always used cheap laquer thinner. very combustable though! wreaks havoc on the soft parts so I go thru pumps maybe once a year or so. adapted my washer to use the cheap sealed units u find at swapmeets.

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Mineral spirits. Cheap at the big box stores. Neal

5. From what I understand, Varsol and mineral spirits are very close to being the same thing, if not the same thing.

I go to a local home heating oil company to purchase mineral spirits at the pump. Bring my containers, drive up to the pump and fill up what I can afford. Pay the man by the gallon. Not cheap, but convenient. Can't remember how much per gallon.

6. im goinna hit up a few places, wally world, dollar tree, dollar general etc. to see if they have mineral spirits cheaper than $6 a gallon that home depot and lowes have it priced at. To me thats just highway robbery. When I called about the varsol, it was $121.00 for 25 gallons or $153 for 55. So I wasopting for the 55 gallons, since I have a pump for a drum already. I also need a 5 gallon pail of gear lube for a pump I have as well. I called Oil Patch they are an oil company here, they gave me the Varsol pricing, and I will be setting up an account with them regardless of wether I get the Varsol there or not. Super nice people and priced fair to me. I will be price checking though this afternoon at some of the chain places. I am dieing to put some fluid in there and flip the switch :) I've got 2, 5 hp briggs Go-Kart engines to rebuild, and they are gonna break it in.

I read somewhere in a post a while back that the varsol and mineral spiris were basically the same, something about them being STODDARD solvent? I guess ill ask for MSDS sheets while im there as well.

7. Rich1

Rich1
    from dallas

8. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

My cousin runs a repair shop here in cleveland,I will give him a call today and see if I can wheedle some info out of him as to who services his parts cleaning stations as he has two of them. I used to go there right before they would change out his drum and he would let me take a few gallons outa it to put in mine. Yea I am that cheap!

9. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

O.K. I called my cousin. He has his tank changed every 6 weeks for 68.00 by a company called Kwik Kleen here in Cleveland ohio. Hell if I can rotate mine for 68 bucks that sounds like a plan....

10. Rich1

Rich1
    from dallas

If you are looking for service, you can also get service from Safety Kleen. They have a local branch in Corpus Christi, and also in San Antonio...The Corpus Christie branch details are:
    3820 Bratton Rd
    Corpus Christi, TX 78413
    Phone Number:361-854-9471

11. msjune

msjune

What is the name of your cousin's shop in Cleveland?

12. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

See if your local chevron jobber sells # 325 thinner.
    BTW, whatever you end up with in your tank...when it's clean and fresh put a 1/2 pint of motor oil in it and turn on the pump for a few....
    It will lube the pump and keep the solvent from evaporating too quick.
    Dave