Register now to get rid of these ads!

Autograph

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

You've got to be kidding! I must've read Hot Rod 10 times over the years. Bud Crayne was my role model since I first read the book in about '74. My Dad gave me his copy (paperback) and I remember it had a channeled red deuce roadster, Bud was tuning the motor, and his girl (LaVerne Shuler) was standing in the roadster, waving to some cars driving off. I still have a hardback copy I "forgot" to return to the high school library when I graduated in '80.
    I remember one line in the book more than any other, "...because Bud loved and understood motors, he had a low opinion of those who didn't..." I try not to be that way, but I can't help myself sometimes.

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The best part of the autographed Hot Rod book is finding it in a used bookstore many years ago. I paid $2.00 for it.

3. autobilly

autobilly

That says it for me too, except that due to geography I don't get to meet and talk with "the heroes of our hobby". I'd sure like to meet Don Garlits among others, as well as many HAMBers.

4. I'm not into collecting autographs, but I do have a couple personals from Wally Parks and Tex Smith. My Edelbrock book is personalized by the whole family and Ed Pink.
    I have Tom West, Thom Taylor, Jr. Conway, Gene Winfield, Bill Hinds, Dean Jeffries, Ed Iskendarian, and Larry Watson. I have Joe Amato's on a drink ticket from the 50th year NHRA awards ceremony and several from Jack Beckman going back to when he drove a top fuel dragster.
    My girl friend that works at the NHRA Museum has a t shirt for drag race folks and includes Chip Foose with no room for more signitures. A lady that works with her has a helmet that is the same way that she's been collecting for about 5 years.
    I could have gotten Linda Vaughn's the other night, but settled for a picture.

5. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

For those who noted about a Henry Ford autograph, I was lucky many years ago when the Henry Ford museum had a mail-in silent auction on books & extra stuff they didn't want any longer.I ended up with his autograph in a book that he signed in 1924.Talk about excited, wow.The others autographs I have just don't compare to his, except that of the great big daddy Ed Roth.

6. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Anytime you want to double that investment, look me up!

7. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Ed Roth's on a T shirt, and a sealed in box Beatnick Bandit model kit, Tex Smith's in one of his books, Steve Coonan's in an issue of Rodders Journal and Roy Brizio's on a brochure. I wish I had been able to get Garlit's when I was at his museum years ago.
    Michael

8. Sprocket71

Sprocket71
    from Anna, Tx

Was that before he took up pinstriping?
    For me personally, Bo Huff was a real kool guy and it helped that he digged my Tiki Pistons painting.

9. tooslow54

tooslow54

My daughter's first Father's day card she was old enough to "sign" for me. The ONE and ONLY autograph I've ever cared to own.

10. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I never stood in a line for mine. Gary Dyer worked with my Dad at one time. Don Gartlis gave me a poster and signed it when i saw him Hideing behind his trailer at a pizza parlor durning the summer nats in 1972. Jungle Jim i partied with a few times and he signed a card with his number on it. I also have one of his helmets and a hamonica he left in my car.Pat minnick used to come over for dinner once in a while.Our farm was next to Tony Bentenhausens. But stand in line no i never have .

11. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

I have an autograph of a gentleman by the name of BOB CADARET on the dash of the 55, he was on the design team at GM in 55. He really didn't seem to care for my car though!

12. beatcad

beatcad

i dont believe i have any car guy autographs, but one of my favorite autographs is a signed pic of robert mitchum.

thunder road, anyone? mitchum is(was) a smooth cruiser.

13. turbojoe

turbojoe
    from Detroit

Ronny Sox/Buddy Martin on a 8x10. and Roger Lindamood on a model kit

14. Butterknife

Butterknife

I got Billy Gibbons autograph about twenty years ago. Saw him in a local music store trying out guitars. Had a real pretty girl with him.

15. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I've got quite a few, but never by standing in a line. Most were pretty nice to talk to.

Like his cars or not, Chip Foose is one very nice guy, I was looking at a car he had done several years ago, and he came up to me and started talking, just a really cool guy.

When I was about 11 or so Shelby was at the Texas State fair standing by a Dodge Daytona(?) I had no idea who he was just wanted the 8x10 pic they were giving away.

There was nobody around him, people just walking by so I walked up and grab the 8x10 and he stopped me and asked if I wanted him to sign it. I looked at the pic and looked back at him thinking - "You want to write on it? That will mess it up."

Before I could say anything he grabed out of my hand signed it and gave it back to me. After looking at it I relized he was standing next to the car in the pic, and he signed right over his face!

Just screwed up my new picture.

I still had no idea who he was and asked my dad later that day, he said, "Just some old race car driver".

Finally when me and my wife moved in together (17yrs ago) I threw away all my usless childhood crap, and since he ruined the picture anyway, out it went.

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Same here...

I'd rather see them do whatever it is they got famous for.

Nobody is famous for signing autographs... ( well... maybe Barris....)

17. john force and tony pedergon were at tasca ford they signed on the back of a picture of my roadster

18. I have numerous signatures on the headliner of my '37 coupe. Car people mixed in with 50s & 60s recording groups include; Bruce Larson ( pictured) Dyno Don, Don Garlits, Arnie Beswick, Malcom Durham (The D.C. Lip), Paul Lemat. Got them at concerts, car shows or drag race events.Started doing it twenty or so years ago. Didn't have to wait in line, just asked them when I saw them. Why? Who knows, but they, the signers, seem to enjoy it. I also enjoy it as do many people that look at the car.
    Next, I'm going to have all of the friends I grew up with sign it while we're all still here. Now those, I will cherish.

Attached Files:

19. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

I have Wally Parks on my dads NHRA charter membership card #1898, when Wally was president of the association. I also have my dads NHRA membership manual. The dues for the first year was $2.00

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Most of the "celebrities" I've been fortunate to meet have been kind and very courteous when shown the same respect.Hot rodders are waaay neater than sports people!
    Whether or not you care to "wait in line for their autograph" or not,the experience is a nice memory later on and sometimes you learn something about your heroes?

Mickey Rooney is the biggest asshole when he drinks.
    Norm Grabowski is the greatest joker when he has a whiskey sours...
    "What are the two words you never want to hear in the men's room?"

21. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I have tons of them, including one that is EXTREEMLY rare. Linda Lovelace on a Deep Throat moviehouse flyer :D

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Check my profile page i have an album of stuff i collect

23. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I carry a signed NHRA ticket signed by Darrel Russel, about an hour before his accident. Its been in my wallet for so long that the signature is nearly gone and its falling apart. Dont have the heart to take it out.

24. Darrell Waltrip and Ned Jarret (RIP) on a Southern 500 ball cap, Tony Stewart in his IRL days on a photo card of his Glidden Indy car, Brett Bodine, Jeff Burton, Derrick Cope on a Cracker Barrel menu, Got some promotional hats Ron Hornaday Jr threw over the fence at Pheonix International Raceway, Don Garlits on a poster from Famoso. I could careless about the autographs its more of the seeing and meeting the people who have made a difference in someway to peoples lives. All were very nice and just like anybody else.-Weeks

25. Are you maybe a bit premature with the "RIP" for Ned Jarrett? I thought he was still with us, or did I miss something?

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Have all I want. Actually I cannot lie the Big Daddy Roth I copied from a shirt He signed for me in the 90s when he was doing a show in San Franciso with Von Franco. He died before I could get him to sign the dash. The other three are real though. I caught Norm in Pamona one Fathersday. Saw Edd at a Pete Paulson show a few years and Ivo agreed to sign it at his home in Burbank.

Attached Files:

27. RAY With

RAY With

Never cared about autographs but did enjoy the conversations with many old street rodders and drag racers alike. With me its the memories.

28. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Ivo, Garlits and "Ohio George" Montgomery have signed the dash of my '56...

Attached Files:

29. Yeah sorry Ned is still alive I was thinking of Benny Parsons passing. Benny was always a real Adam Henry (AH) to all of the fans. He used to have to walk right by me to get up into the tower at PIR and he always refused his time to fans. Honest mistake. -Weeks

30. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

[​IMG]

-scott noteboom