Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TEACHER looking for Bonneville Video to help teach measurment and conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey Guys...

Looking for a good video that I can show my 6th grade students to help not only teach them measurement and some conversions, but also to possibly plant the speed bug in them!

I've got the Bonneville video that was shown on the History channel the other night, but I was hoping for something that would encompass more information and show more of a variety of different types of cars and trucks, as well as various streamliners.

I've looked, but haven't found something that I could use well enough, so here I turn to you all. Unfortunately I cannot use a YouTube video as that site is blocked at school. However, if a good video exists, I can download it onto a portable drive and bring with me to show.

Thanks for your help!

~Gozt

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

C'mon you guys - what an easy way to inspire hot rod dreams in tomorrows leaders, while educating them (instilling common sense) at the same time. Must be someone with some killer footage (I have video of my car on salt, but it's just a blurry spec and I don't know how to post it anyway). Anyone? Beuller?

3. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'd love to have the video above in the design I have in my head for this lesson, but as I stated above, I can't access YouTube through the school website's firewall.

This sort of started out with me talking with my kids about why I don't care to watch football anymore - unless my students are playing! They asked what I liked and was into and I started telling them. I showed them the car that went 763mph on the flats, as well as the car the same company is building that is expected to top out at 1050mph!

I'd love to show my kiddos the vintage roots of the salt flats through a video, along with some of the different designs and such. These kids mostly have seen "The World's Fastest Indian" and understand about some of the stuff involved. I just want to snag something that'd get their attention, as well as add in some 6th grade level mathematics for them to calculate.

As an example, we got off on a tangent while talking about the 763mph car. As an idea of perspective for them to understand how fast that truly is, I compared the distance from the school to Oklahoma City which was about one hundred miles away. At 763 miles per hour, they would be traveling at 76.3 miles every six minutes, making the entire trip in about 9 minutes. This same trip would normally take around 90-100 minutes.

Anyway, hopefully there's more out there.

5. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

I know books aren't real exciting for younguns but motorbooks The Birth of Hot Rodding is a good book if you can get them to turn a few pages.

6. storm king

storm king

Maybe the land speed racing site would be of more help?

7. JackShaft

JackShaft

That's a great idea you have there and sure thing I'm on board.

In the next hour or so I'll have the youtube video so you can download it.

-Andy

Update: Check your PMs

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

9. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Teach them Metric. Ask how many kilometres an hour the car went.
    Ask the difference in a kilometre and a mile.
    The speeds at Bonneville are registered in KPH and MPH to qualify for the record books.

10. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Thanks guys! Anything and everything is going to be appreciated.

I've checked the websites I've found, but they're not that inclusive of what I'm trying to actually work with.

11. I ordered "The Way it Was" videos which have been discussed in other threads here. Ryan ran a lead article on the set last Spring. There are some excellent clips in it. Alex Xydias did a video many years ago that is available through the NHRA Museum that has a good segment on B'ville. Go to Purplesagetradingpost.com and look at the links Sumner has there. There are tons of formulas there. Also landspeedracing.com. Hope you find some useful information.

12. studeboy

studeboy

Why can't you take youtube vids off your computer at home to school on a thumb drive. If you have Realplayer you can save them to the library (little box pops up in top right corner says Download This Video) then transfer to thumb drive. You may need a converter as these files are flash (.flv). Convert the file to MP4 or other format that compatible with the player at school.Lots of converters on the web though I haven't found a free one that doesn't leave a watermark on the video. Might take a couple tries but should work well once you figure it out.

Eric

13. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Thanks for the help guys! I'll check some of the specialty sites listed tomorrow and see what happens then go from there.

I appreciate all the help!