Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions Wanted on Model A underpinnings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wheelless, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Wheelless

Wheelless

I have located a complete 1938 ford car frame including all suspension components and rolling stock, banjo rear etc. Would this make a good candidate for my 1929 Model A coupe project? THe plan is to build an 'A' style frame and run complete fenders when done.

2. Front end will have the desirable 37-40 "round back spindles." Front wishbones are good candidates for splitting. Front axle will work in a spring over set up. But a 28 to 36 axle is better. Front spring is to wide and to long to work spring over.

Brakes, front and rear, are mechanical and not recommended. However, the "wide five" drums, if serviceable, can be used with 39-48 hydraulic brake backing plates.

Rear axle can be converted to Model A style spring over configuration with perches available from Speedway, Sacramento Vintage Ford, etc. or fabricated from steel plate and tubing.

The torque tube can be shortened by a drive line shop. The rear wishbones will most likely be to long in a Model A. 46-48s are shorter and better for this application.

You did not say what motor and transmission you will use. An open drive conversion kit is available from the Hot Rod Works that will work with your 38 rear end. It is most likely a ten spline but could be a 6 spline. You will need to pull the torque tube and drives haft and count the pinion input splines before you order. Converting to an open drive line requires other suspension modifications frequently discussed here.

If you are going to use old Ford parts in your Model A chassis (and why not?) then you really need to get a copy of "How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel. Best $20 you will spend on your hot rod project!

3. It might be cheaper/easier to slip an open drive Ford truck rearend in the back adapted with the right brackets, and use dealer's choice of the various hydraulic brakes that will fit the front, split the bones you have and so forth - this assumes, of course, that your Model A has complete running gear under it. If you're running fenders and so forth most of the suspension will be pretty well hidden anyways.

4. Wheelless

Wheelless

Thanks for the replies! I had my wife buy me the Tardel/Bishop book for Christmas. She's great...

As for engine, I know where there are several bangers but not sure about condition... i would prefer something traditional but with the availability of parts in my part of the world.. 9 times out of 10 i would be better off to go sbc and convert to open drive.

5. rick finch

rick finch

What "Bib-overalls" said! The man is leading you straight, go with it!:)