Register now to get rid of these ads!

What about the 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRAMPKING, Oct 24, 2008.

1. maybe I should have said
    "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one! and some are one.

2. DrJ

DrJ

And I guess I should have included the full post limit of smiley faces? :(
    It was supposed to be just for fun... :rolleyes:

3. I think TRAMPKING has his answer regarding his desire to enter shows.

4. tommy v

tommy v

how's this for a traditional el camino, would this get in it's a 66[​IMG]

5. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i think some shows do that do to space restrictions at the place they hold the show. the bigger the area the higher the cut off seems to be. i noticed good guys does this at a few shows one that comes to mind is rienback good guys. this is just what i think?

6. TRAMPKING

TRAMPKING
    from SGV

the elco could use a set of bull horns on the hood lol charge 20 bucks let them in too

7. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

A non winable argument!

8. Brother, I cann't agree with you more! I have a '66 and I get screwed out of most of them as well.

9. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Because everything past 59 is ugly?

10. We aren't talking about english cars here!:D

11. missysdad1

missysdad1

Now there's a bit of the truth...

Now, in all seriouslessness... The guy who suggested that you re-car yourself was pretty much on the mark. If you want to participate in events which have year restrictions, get a car that fits the limits. Grousing about the rules won't help much, and will probably just ruin your day.

And, as another HAMBer also said, it's about building, owning and driving the cars anyway, not so much about showing them.

Just my $.02

12. Swifster

Swifster

One other suggestion. If this is a show you are planning to attend in advance, send the organizers a few photos of your car. If it fits the 'theme', they may over look the age portion. But there is no guarantee on that. The HAMB, as I've been advised more than once the cut off her is 1964. Both of my Studes are '64's. Both are being done in a street machine style typical of the '60's.

I will say that I think dumping on the VW's is out of line. Many of these cars were modified back then. I'm actually looking at the remains of a '57 oval window beetle as something to play with. At 44, I'd like to think my conduct wouldn't be detrumental to the show.

13. repoguy

repoguy

What is traditional about a 66 El Camino with black and red wheels????? Unless by traditional you mean COMPLETELY STUPID.

So I guess if I paint my 98 Toyota 4-runner flat black and shoot the wheels red it's a "traditional 4-runner"????

Jesus. That thing belongs on OSR's site. Hell, they'd probably put that thing on the cover (with a really ugly model with full sleeves).

14. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Here in okie-ville 64 for the most part..... but my wife car is a 65 and she's wanting to do it a mild custom

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yeah, I think it relates to the introduction of the pony cars, Mustang, Camaro, etc.
    Your day is coming.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If there is anything that I have learned it is that these dates will change. If you are young some day you will tell your friends...I remember when 62 was the cut off.

When hot rodding started to come back as street rodding in the early 70s an antique had to be 25 years old. 48 was the logical break off. We were into old cars. When the 6 year old Mustangs started to show up at the old car shows it is like PT Cruisers and Prowlers showing up today. Many were still making payments on an unmodified car from Detroit. WHOOPEE! Lots of guys liked and drove Mustangs and GTOs but they were not in the same class as a home built hot rod. Now that those same Mustangs and GTOs probably have gone through just as much hard work to restore as our old hot rods, the difference isn't quite as glaring. Just some of the reasons where the arbitrary dates came from. What made sense years ago may not be as clear today.

Even the die hards of the pre 48 group have softened their stance. We got older and times change. It's a matter of respecting the host of the party.

17. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

I laughed when I saw the el camino, I knew that would get some reaction. I hope it was a far goner or a wreck or something, and not salvageable...creative as hell, yeah, I'd check it out if I saw it at a show, but you can't be seriously suggesting that it is traditonal in anybody's eyes. In fact it's a middle finger to about 3 different schools of traditional and that may be the coolest thing about it. But here's an idea we're missing--becasue I grew up in the 60s and my interests are drifitng back there too--there is rightful place for a 60-71 custom show or a website--but this ain't it. Let's start one! Ryan, interested in expanding your Jalopy kingdom?

18. tommy v

tommy v

i'm glad someone got it :D

19. Might have something to do with the hood creeping out over the fenders after 59, That brought on a whole different era of automotive styling. at least that's what I suspect.

20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

A '62-64 cutoff is a general rule of thumb because that was when rod and custom building reached an all time low after peaking in the 50's. By low, I mean quanity being built and interest shown in it. Maybe not so much in California but elsewhere. Was that in part because of the muscle car fascination? Probably. Also generational. Kids always want to do what their parents didn't do.

21. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

22. The Tampa street rod nats have a 30 year rule. So that means this year you can get in with a 1979 car. I'm going to buy a 4 door Fairmont for $100 and power park that sum bitch right on the front row...

23. caddyman65

caddyman65

First off, everyone of the shows ive been to that had a cut off date of 62-64 ive seen 65/6 Caddys and 65 Rivis, Paso, Round-up ,etc. The other thing is ,who cares? It`s their show ,so their rules, plain and simple.Dont like it- dont go. I just entered my car in a show that has a pre 63 cut-off. I e-mailed the head guy with a pic of my car and I`m in.( it`s a 65) Maybe try asking nicely...that can go a long way. And too the guy that said everything after 59 is ugly, I hope your being sarcastic because they made a LOT of ugly cars before 59 too.

24. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

I always thought "cut offs" should lean more toward body style.
    Like with the 1963 cut off, not withstanding the entrance of muscle-cardom, a cut off of 1959 would make more sense to me (body-wise) imo.
    '59 was about the last year you saw those big rolling hoods and fenders.
    Sure, the tail fin was king, but it was the year before everything got flattened out in 1960.

I still won't argue the '63 cut off though for many reasons, but I like to see it as my own personal Anti-Mustang cut off.
    Can you imagine what a cluster-f**k hot rod shows would be if the cut off were 1965 or '66? (sadly a lot of shows have these later cut offs)

It would be nothing but an orgy of ponies. >click this--if you dare<

25. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

My '65 Galaxie is just a good car and I don't really expect anyone to bend rules for it. The engine going together for it is going to be stupid powerful, but its not a musclecar or pony car or a custom. Its just a 1965 Galaxie 2dr HT that will have a roller cammed FE. I like and thats all that matters. If it offends anyone sensibility they have an option. Avert their eyes and excersize their shoe leather to move along.

Its really not a big deal to me. I worked on alot of '30-'50's stuff through the years. I'll help any way I can. But my car doesn't fit HAMB criteria and never will. No one has to change a thing, I like it as it is. There are two '35 Fords in the family stable that are. Thats good enough for me.

26. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

It would be cool if someone would put on a '60s / early '70s Custom / Street Machine type event - or at least have a section for it. I'm not talking about a bunch of high dollar restored musclecars, but the kind of stuff people drove to High School or took to the track on weekends. I ended up with a '64 Comet because it was fairly complete, affordable, available, and still had some kind of style to it. I'm building it as a '65 - '75 era High School cruiser / drag car kinda thing. It's got no interior and I've been fabricating parts for it rather than just buying a bunch of repop resto stuff. Dish mags, Stewart Warner black and white guages, Sun Tach, East Coast (high in the rear rake), wide tires out back, and skinnies up front. When I bought it someone had made a lame-O R#t R#d out of it. Spray paint black with red wheels - so my version is definitely an improvement in my eyes. Just my .02.

27. I just bought a '65 Riv. It's too new for traditional shows, I don't care, I prefer to look at older cars any way. Besides, lots of the cool stuff is in the parking lot anyway.

28. repoguy

repoguy

You totally got me. :D

29. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

The Back to the Fifties show in St. Paul, MN has a cut off date of 1964, with a NO MUSTANGS notice in black bold letters. Even the name of the show insinuates what the show is catering to, so it's actually surprising that the cut off date is into the sixties.

I do believe though that when I first went I saw a mustang or two. I could be completely wrong because I was really young then (I'm only 18 now and that was 6 or 7 years ago) but I could almost swear that they used to let mustangs in. And maybe they did, but now that the participation has skyrocketed to upwards of 11,000 cars from 64 and older, they don't need to if they don't want to.

I have a 61' falcon that just fits in to the time frame, but the curves of the early falcons make it look like a 50's car. I can't go to any shows where they cater to an even older style of car, but I'll build myself something someday for those shows.

And the El Camino was a hoot. :D

Gayl