Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects where to get my hotrod built?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellsfire, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Hellsfire

Hellsfire

Hi Guys
    I am currently looking to buy a early 30's coupe and have it turned into a hotrod.

What i am looking for is a good shop that can do all the work i need and i figured you guys would be able to give me some heads up on who does good work and is of course straight up.

The scope of the work is basically a full build to at least the body and rolling chassis stage but i would like to end up with a turn the key if possible. As i said i want a early 30's coupe ... prefer a Plymouth, dodge etc as I want to put one of the 900hp+ crate supercharged injected hemi's and trans and diff to suit. independent front suspension to have a good ride.. The rod will need to be chopped and channeled as well so the shop need to be able to do this to.

if someone could give me some contacts of shops that can accomplish this sort of work i would be extremely appreciative.
    Hamish

2. bward76

bward76

That's easy!! Just send me a couple hundred grand and I'll take care of it for you. I'll even let you pick out the color!!! Kidding. Are you looking to build here (U.S.)or near New Zealand?

3. Hellsfire

Hellsfire

It would be in US.

I am currently living in Asia thats why i can not build it myself...

4. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Sent you a pm... What is the budget? that will be a big deciding factor. Labor is expensive. I have a source for bodies, we can build the chassis or supply one that you prefer. Motor and trans is no issue.We are Mopar guys. Jimmy Z interior shop is next door. Every build is fully photo documented. We are a full service shop. louver press, body mods and repairs, paint, electrical, chassis, etc...You can PM answers to questions or contact info. No matter who you go with.....double and triple check them out. esspecially since you will not be in direct contact with them..Jason

5. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

You are more then welcome to check out my website, so you can see current projects and past projects. We can build whatever you would want to be built!!
    Thanks
    Jimmy White

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Lotsa good builders on the HAMB....looks like some of em already spoke up....I'll throw another one out....Gambino Kustoms....may not build to the likes of what your wanting BUT green is green I dunno....check with him....like the other blokes on this thread he's good peeps and does simply panty dropping work!

7. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Socal or better yet just call BJ and bid on one.You must have a lot of gold coins.

8. Worst case scenario with NO control over the project, unless you have $$$ to burn, I wish all my problems were that simple.

Have you considered buying an existing project car and taking it from there? Some rod shops have those "in stock" and they can be a good point to get you started.

Bob

9. mad-cad

mad-cad

Give Kiwi Steve a call in Brea California,excellent workmanship,great guy and he won't take you for a ride $$ wise.Apart from building alot of rods he does alot of fab work for land speed racing cars ,races himself from time to time.He's also the chief tech inspector for the SCTA.Heres his web address http://www.kiwisteves.com/index.htm

10. 41 C28

41 C28

Why don't you just consider buying a hot rod that is already built? It would probably be much cheaper and you could enjoy it immediately. There are lots of them out there now.

You really need to build one if you can to experience all the joy and headaches and you can build what and how you want it.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Our website is for shit right now, new one is almost done. http://www.rod-o-rama.com/ But we can help you through the purchase of the car and any work you need done. At this point we don't do any actual interior work, but I have two go to guys here that do good work.

I can also say that both there are quite a few shops that can do this and I can say that I have seen nothing but good things come out of Jimmy White's, Bass', ELpolacko, and a few others here on the HAMB.

And the naysayers have no idea what they are saying as far as having someone do the work. There are things that I am not good at or don't have the time to do. I gladly will pay to have those things done.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I was gonna suggest something along these lines. Purchase one that is kind of what you want and change to please. You can save money and time this way.

13. williebill

williebill

Looks like you've been on the HAMB for just a little while.If you spend a little time reading older posts,you will find MANY talented builders are here.If I had the money,I know of several HAMBers I would contact about building a car for me.Look around here a bit before you make a decision.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

When you say 30's Plymouth Coupe...

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Just curious, trying to get an idea if what you're after...

Both of those are for sale.

15. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Yup, pride comes from diff. places for diff. people..Some like to say they built the car and try to do most themselves... Those are the guys calling me for answers..how do you do this or how do you do that...Don't order any parts, don't spend a dime at my shop...I still help them out.

Then, there are guys that simply like cars. They don't have the time or maybe don't have the skills to build a car but, they like to have them and drive them. They have reached a point in their life where they can afford to have it built for them.. It is called pride in ownership....They are the guys that keep my shop open to answer the phone for the" I built it myself" guys...

I can build hot rods and custom cars but I wouldn't want someone dropping off a Honda dissassembled on pallets and have me put it together. I am not familiar with it... Jason.

16. williebill

williebill

Good for you..I think he "gets" it,but he ain't you,so cut the guy some slack...If he wants to pay a builder to make his dream come true,then good for him..that will NOT make him any less of a car guy...so STFU

17. There are about twenty shops on the HAMB I'd be very happy with the Build... but Plowboy works for Beer...!!!

p.s. He's selling the "Atomic Punk"... doesn't get any cooler than that!!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  18. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread has been cleaned up a bit... Back to helpin' our overseas pal...

20. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Motorhead Engineering [440] 734-1780 Berea Ohio ask for Randy or contact hamber {One Way} He does nice performance builds. Small shop here in town, low overhead.

21. i wasen't saying that, you twit, i wasen't saying he wasn't a car guy, i wasen't sayin he's not a good person or a hard worker, i was just
    saying that he wasen't a rodder and he just needed the chance to
    learn, but you'd rather see negitive huh? so chill the hell out
    , i wasen't atacking the guy, i was just saying that he should
    wait till he had the time to build it himself, don't you think he'd fell
    better if he did?, or do you condone the quick fix?

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Sent you a pm with some of our work. Thanks for the consideration.

23. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

[, i wasen't atacking the guy, i was just saying that he should
    wait till he had the time to build it himself,quote]

Unfortunate fact of life. Not everyone can or should build a car. If someone has the money and not the ability why should they not have the car of their dreams ??

24. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Check out Gambino Kustoms. He's put out some killer stuff!

25. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Would it just be easiest to find a completed hotrod and buy it?

26. Buy one already built and drive it right away....why wait?

27. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle. Kevin (hotrodchassis) and Chad (django) build incredible stuff. Solid engineering and excellent design. These guys are TOP NOTCH and do A LOT to help the HAMB and others. Search either of their posts and it tells the whole story.

28. Terry O

Terry O

Jimmy is currently building a car for me. It's a one-off in every way and the quality of workmanship is beyond description. In my case I provided all the period parts that I had been collecting for years as I built this over and over again in my head. I've built a few cars before but nothing near as intricate as this. When I went looking for a builder I went looking for a shop that would take direction from me as I wanted it built the way I wanted it built. Jimmy has, from the very beginning, given me total control, discussing every detail as the build progresses. This is a long distance build in that his shop is several hours away but constant communication and photos never makes me feel "distant". I didn't have the time nor the talent to put my dream together but Jimmy lets me get as close to it as possible. The guys at Circle City Hot Rods,Jimmy, Matt, Brandon, Skinny Jeff and Geppedo are all true craftsman working to make all the pieces come together.
    As your checking out shops you'd be doing yourself an injustice if you didn't give CCHR a look see. PM me if you have any questions.

Terry

29. I've been really impressed with these guy's work and hope to use them for some the phase II aspects of my Mercury.