Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM to auction cars from their museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonnyzepp, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It would have been a great addition (and improvement) to the spring RM auction at Novi.

The more I think about this the sicker it makes me :mad::(

2. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Anybody got any idea what might happen to the cars in the Walter P. Chrysler Museum? Lotsa good iron there, especially in the "Bosses Garage".

3. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

This is truely a sad time for this country:(

4. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

It's a bummer for those inside GM, but I would expect that the proceeds should keep the Heritage Ctr going for a while.

BTW JimA & ChevyGirl, GM has a pretty sweet deal worked out with Pilot Transport, so I'm sure that the cost to transport 200 cars won't reduce the selling price per car too much.

If it was at ANY other auction, the selling prices might actually be realistic, but the B-J circus seems to bring out loads of "Fools & their money". IMHO, the selling prices @ B-J have always been way over the top & never get matched anywhere else, so it may work out best for the Collection.

This just might be a good time to pick up something really unique...

Attached Files:

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

This is probably more about reducing storage and maintenance costs than generating a lump of cash at the sale. It may also involve a touch of PR.

6. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

The sad truth is that if the damn GM execs would just take a say15-20% cut in there now over paid salaries none of this would need to happen. I always thought CEO's were there to "make money" for the company. So, if they aren't doin' it put their asses on the street. This bailout bullshit is just a hipe anyway.

7. That was our 1925 Chevrolet House Car that is on the auction list ....
    We sold it to the GM Heritage Museum for significantly less than it was worth because we wanted it to be in touch with the public ....
    We had an understanding that it would remain in their permanent collection.
    It is perhaps the only 'house car' on a Chevrolet chassis to have survived and is truly 'one of a kind' ....

@ http://www.trulyvintagetrailers.citymax.com/page/page/4069093.htm

So much for TRUST .... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jim

8. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I want the 2007 silverado "big red" dale jr truck. That thing is sweet!

9. Well the 1925 Chevrolet Housecar we sold to the GM Heritage Museum did not sell Tuesday which is a big relief for me :rolleyes:

@ http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/carlist_Details.aspx?&In_LotNumber=60.2

GM did a very nice restoration on it :D

In my opinion, this is a publicity stunt to try and show that the parent company is doing "something" to cut operating costs ....

I visited the museum twice and was "behind the scenes" for several hours touring the other buildings where vehicles are kept few people ever see :D

I am hopeful the collection will survive this economic downturn :cool:

10. Kerry67

Kerry67

I saw the 92 Impala SS go over the block. I think it went for 69K. Good looking car.......

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

This confuses me as I saw it go across the auction block last night and it was in the six figures ($110,00 or something like that) and was the highest earner for yesterday I believe. Perhpas they just haven't updated their website yet.

12. noboD

noboD

Same guy bought the '92 SS and the '89 ZR-2.

13. Was that on the Speed channel you saw it or was that in person?

Jim

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

On TV last night, and it was stunning by the way.

15. Yeah,

Here is a picture of it when I delivered it to the GM Heritage Museum :(

I thought it would be part of tv coverage ....
    Maybe the guy backed out :confused:
    I checked the auction results again and it is listed as not sold :rolleyes:

Jim

Attached Files:

16. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Watched Tues night and saw Bob Johnson from Georgia buy the top sellers of the night.

17. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

This statement is on the BJ description on all the GM Museum cars

"THE VEHICLE IS NOT CERTIFIED TO COMPLY WITH ANY FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL LAWS, RULES OR REGULATIONS AND MAY NOT BE DRIVEN ON PUBLIC ROADS. This vehicle will be conveyed to Buyer with NO MANUFACTURER STATEMENT OF ORIGIN (MSO) or title and the vehicle does not have a complete VIN. SOLD ON BILL OF SALE ONLY."

So no MSO no title no vin can't drive on public roads HMMMMMM:mad:

BJ should state on their website.

"GM SELLING YARD ART COLLECTION"

18. I think that is a general disclaimer because some cars are prototype or concept in nature.
    Our 1925 Housecar had a clear Ohio title showing less than 5000 original miles that we transferred.

Jim

19. noboD

noboD

Denise, it was at Hershey last fall in the GM Heritage tent, quite impressive.

20. The pontiac stuff looks great. Checked the piggy bank and damn if it aint empty. Guess I will just have to watch.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I would have to agree as the auctioneer mentioned on one of the Vettes that it came with a title.....can't remember if it was the purple one or the red ZR2 that followed right after.

22. krooser

krooser

Looks like they're keeping all the Chevettes and Vegas.... Ill have to keep looking.

23. kustomrace

kustomrace

Truly vintage,I work with the auto collection at the Detroit historical museum,they have a clause that states that items can not be sold once donated.We had a patron donate a Packard Pan-american show car because the other museums he looked at only had a 5 year "no sell" policy.I'm sorry to hear thats how it went down.Dave

24. Dave,

We did not donate the 1925 Chevrolet Housecar but we did sell it for far less than it was worth, in fact we never advertised for sale. It was a running and driving vehicle in remarkable original condition. I chose GM based on trust alone. :eek:

My intent was that it be preserved and restored as necessary along with having it put into contact with the public so they could see and touch it :)

If it did sell then I hope the new owner does just that but I suspect the appearance at Hershey last fall at the GM Heritage tent was a marketing ploy to drum up exposure and interest for a successful sale :rolleyes:

I am upset because we had a 'handshake agreement' that the car would remain in the GM Heritage permanent collection :mad:

No contract is enforceable when it comes down to it but thought I could TRUST the person who I dealt with and as it turns out that was not the case ....

The lesson for me is that if we ever find another historically significant example of a vintage recreational vehicle - we will keep it in the family even if it proves to be an economic hardship :cool:

Attached Files:

25. kustomrace

kustomrace

Ah..Makes more sense now.Tough break,how do you replace that?Looks like you have a good start tho....Dave

26. onedaydeparted

onedaydeparted
    from Caster

As i write this, i am watching GM get robbed. This barret jackson bs is unheard of when it comes to the amount of money thrown around for cars. Tragic really.

27. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

95% of that list is shit boxes..i own 2 of them on the list :mad::mad:
    were the hell do they think people with no jobs and no houses are going to get money to keep buying this stuff???????