Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Submit Your Favorite Car For Chicagoland Rod N' Custom '62 Show Jan. 23-25

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The deadline has passed an there are only twelve cars signed up. Where is everyone? They are freaking out... understandably so.

2. Mine was there "Golddigger" originally owned by Don Provance.Built by Liddle's Auto.Second pic is the car last.Wish I could get it there but it still needs a rocker panel & some 1/4 panel work.Also the engine is out of it.I will be there with plenty of pictures.BTW will you be selling any reproductions of the original flyers or posters? Thanks,Ed

Attached Files:

3. So no one isinterested in mine?

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Ed, I think your car is bitchin! Will it be ready though?

5. blktie

blktie

Chad/Kevin:

I sent Kevin a PM about a month ago. I have a 30' enclosed trailer if you need my help, please call.

Jack

6. I'm tryin'.I'll send you some pictures & you can tell me what you think.Thanks!

7. cool50

cool50
    from usa

Can we stop by Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle to pick up a "ticket" for the cool show? Or do we get it at the door? I didn't see anything maybe I missed it. Sound real cool can't wait to see how it turns out.

8. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Soooo, here's the skinny on the show. As anyone who's ever dealt with McCormick Place and the bureaucracy of Chicago will tell you, it's impossible to get anything done without a ton of money. The '62 Rod N' Custom show will still be there, but smaller and not very impressionable. And here are the reasons why:

1. The Fire Marshal (that has a PERMANENT position at McCormick Place) has nixed our layout of a compass rose style positioning of the cars. The reason? "People may become confused as to where the exit is in the event of a fire." I guess the 40 foot high walls with doors that surround the whole show would be hard to see from a distance.

2. McCormick Place wants $3000.00 (for the labor union and rental of the curtains) to place 3' high curtains around the '62 Rod N' Custom show.

3. Only 12 people have sent in their entry from to bring their cars.

4. The $50.00 entry fee, $20.00 per day parking, plus hotel, food and travel money add up to too much expense for most people. And you get no parking pass with your entry for what reason? Years ago, McCormick Place "sold" the parking off to another company, which formed a union (go figure), and refuses to make that kind of deal with ANY show event at McCormick Place.

5. With the media created and enforced "economic downturn" everyone is afraid (and rightly so) to spend any money. And quite frankly, when you can spend a couple hundred bucks in the summer to go and enjoy a show, why spend $400+ to go to one in the winter time.

6. They can't afford a sound guy for the bands, something to do with the unions I'm sure.

We tried. We'll still be there with the booth. There will still be several cool cars of note there to come and see. Hometown Hot Rods will still have there booth there also. Please come and at least support the folks that tried to turn the Chicago World Of Wheels around and recognize their efforts. It's not just me, Django or the shop crew. It's John Nolen, Zombie and all the guys that are bringing their cars. Long Live the Chicago Regime and Unions.

9. jonnycola

jonnycola

You're bumming me out.

10. showrod

showrod

Hey, it will still be a better show than than it has been for the last decade or more.

kevin check your p.m.s

11. So the guys that have trailers have no secure parking area that is part of the show unless you want to pay $20 per day for public parking? This doesn't sound good.

12. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

i wish i had somthing to bring ill still be there soing support for you

13. cool50

cool50
    from usa

Hay maybe Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle can put on there own show in the winter out away from Chicago a little bit and not deal with any "Chicago B.S." You guys would do a better job and maybe start something that in 40 or 50 years people will want to recreate. With all the cooler car clubs around it might not be to hard to do. Anyway thanks for trying to put something together that would have been great. I still can't wait to see cool cars next weekend.

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

HRCC is putting a lot of time, effort, and money into it for... nothing. The owners of the cars they recruited are shelling out a lot of cash and a lost weekend for... nothing. WoW has fought HRCC at every step of the way when they tried to do something special... and they wonder why no one goes to the Chicago WoW and everyone thinks it sucks. I think HRCC should cancel the whole section and tell the promoters to take a long walk on a short pier.

15. cool50

cool50
    from usa

Amen to that hellfish

16. Plowboy

Plowboy

I'm still going to go up and party it up with my homeboys.

They have the same crap at Detroit. That is why it costs like 150 bucks for power there for you display.

It sounds like it is more McCormick place than WOW causing the grief.

I still think someone (not me) needs to get with the Rantoul air Museum and get a show going there. http://www.aeromuseum.org/

17. skunx1964

skunx1964

i hope you guys take lotsa pics, id love to see the setup, even if its small. kinda a long drive for me :cool:

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Well said Joe! The show changed years and years ago, and that's all I have to say about it! They need to bring it back to Arlington Race Track like it was in the 1980's:D.
    My buddy tried the samething as Kevin and Chad are doing now, change it. This was a number of years ago but gave up after a few years the same BS. It's a shame because not alot of car happenings in Jan,Feb or March with our fine weather:D Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..Fu@#n Salt :eek:

19. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Sorry to hear about all the typical B.S. you guys are having to put up with!

If I would have found out sooner, my Father and I would have brought his roadster up, but we have all 4 corners of the suspension tore out of it for some much needed touch up work and maintenance.

We'll stop by and see you at the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

if anyone is worried about parking something let me know i could probably help out.. let me know!

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Here is the band schedule.

Friday:

One Night Standards (hot rod surf)
    7:30 – 8:45

The After Darks: (hard drivin' rockabilly)
    9:00 – 9:45

Saturday:

Hot Rod Hucksters (grease and gasoline infused rockabilly)
    1:00 – 1:45
    4:00 – 4:45

The Crown Vics ('50s style Rock and Roll)
    5:30 – 6:15
    8:00 – 8:45

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  22. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

In the email I just got from W.O.W it says

"Trailer parking will be at the 31st Marshalling Yard. We will direct you to that lot when you are ready. There is no charge for parking at the Marshalling Yard"

31st street isnt very far at all so it looks like there shouldnt be much of a problem with that.

You bringing your car down Mike?

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

Don't get me wrong, I'm still bringing my car and supporting the HRCC... and I admire them for sticking with their commitment... but if it was me, well, you know what I'd tell the promoters. :D

24. Hellfish

Hellfish

OK... here's a more practical question. How the hell do you clean snow, slush and salt off a car at an indoor car show??? I don't have a trailer, so I'm driving to the show. I guarantee that the 59 won't be pretty when it arrives. :D

25. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

last time I brought 2 bikes to the chicago W.O.W was about 2001. They were on an open trailer and were pretty covered in salt ans snow, they had a hose running when we got there and we cleaned one bike, but the time we went to clean the next one they shut the hose off... so yeah it was a pain in the ass .

So my suggestion Joe is what i do every year when i drive my car to Detroit. Bring a bucket and a bunch of towels just in case and find a janitors closet to fill it up. works for me every year...

26. Joe,
    Most all of the 3A or higher rated ISCA shows will have a manned pressure wash rig just outside the building to clean the trucks and trailers before allowing them in the building if they have snow and slush on them. If the car is on an open trailer, they will spray your car too. Just ask them to be very careful. The wrong guy @ 8.00 per hour behind a good pressure washer can ruin your weekend not to mention your cars paint job.
    Also, if it is very cold, a novice on the end of pressure washer can do alot of damage to paint without intending to do so.

27. Yeah, I got that phone call an hour after I posted my concerns. Everything should work out. I will be there with the coupe.

28. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Don't forget if you are showing your car, the Fire Marshalls are a real pain in the ass about the cars' having 1/8th a tank of gas or less. Ask Olemuleskinner how long it took him to burn half a tank in my Dad's 36...

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

how can you tell that if your gas gauge doesn't work?! :D I'm glad you told me now because I was going to fill up on the way there!

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

They gave me a hard time cause mine read 3/8 of a tank. I tried to explain to them that I need a new sending unit and to just tap on the tank. He had to get a supervisor. Took about 30 minutes.