Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Racing wheels no longer being shiped to Canada?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budd, Jan 13, 2009.

1. budd

budd

back in november i ordered a set of Torque Thrust D's, the shop i ordered from kept getting the run around, today i find out that American racing has closed all it Canadian outlets and no one can say when or if i can get my wheels, anyone else north of the border hear whats going on?

2. Maybe someone in Transport Canada found a problem with them?

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Sounds fishy to me. Maybe your local dealer has lost their franchise with them or something.

4. Did you contact American Racing directly ?

5. budd

budd

i stood right there as my guy called the supply house, all the AM wheels they had were gone and something about the new owners of AM were not going to be dealing with Canada.

6. born2late

born2late

Yes, Canadian operations are done. You can still get them from a jobber that buys from Keystone Automotive--they import their stock from their US warehouse--they have lots of AE left.

7. Wonder why they'd pull out of Canada altogether like that? Weird tariffs, maybe?

8. Find another supplier. Importing them directly shouldn't be a problem.

9. budd

budd

i'll give my guy a little more time and then it may be just as easy to slip down across the border, you would think we must buy enough wheels to make it pay, they all come from china anyway, i think

10. Big Dad

Big Dad

doesn't Jegs ship to Canada , Eh ?

11. poncho

poncho

Try ordering from Jegs,,i ordered a set of Cragar ss from them and they were here in 3 days!!!im in Langley

12. Ship them into The Letter Carrier (a UPS Depot) in Point Roberts, and go down and pick them up, and probably save money on them too.
    HemiDeuce.

13. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Canada had something in the news about if it looked like a racecar and on the street it would be crushed. From what i heard a few places said they were not going to deal with canada.They do not want lawsuits.

14. 64krusty

64krusty

I'm gonna have to ask my buddy who is a tire dealer,he'll be choked cause he's sold quite a few sets.And what happens when we damage one and need a replacement?

15. budd

budd

yeah JEGS might be just the ticket.

i think they were talking rice rockets and if they caught them street racing then they were going to seize the car and crush it, i dont think they ever followed through.

16. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

yeah. I was at my local farm store and they had a couple of 15" Ford/Mopar pattern AR "white wagon" wheels on the sale table; I'm thinking they stocked them as "trailer" wheels; I looked; made in CHINA; so when is China, "American"? THEY AIN'T!!! Never were never will be.

17. Don B.

Don B.
    from IL

Yeah I heard that, too; from what I heard it's pretty Draconian; 100% up to the cop's discretion; poutting a "trubo muffler or a set of wheels on an otherwise original stock from the factory car and they can deem it a "race" car and impound it on site to be crushed; no gettin them back out of impound either if taken for that reason; they want bland, completely stock, and unmodified. But I had not heard that it had been approved, just a proposed law so far.

18. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Thanks for the info.

19. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Every Province in Canada, similar to a State in the US is responsible for it's own Highway Traffic Laws, rules and enforcement. In my neck of the woods they have been cracking down on the "rice rocket" street racers. If you are charged with Dangerous Driving your vehicle can be impounded.
    Back to the Wheels question they are probable just downsizing, trying to run a more leaner operation. Try one of the Mopac stores.

20. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Yep, AR is under new ownership. Wheel Pros I believe. They've kept some of the distribution centers but have closed several including Canada. If you can find a supplier with inventory buy it quick, huge price increases (30-40% on some lines) are already coming.

21. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i just might be able to help.

22. fast Ed

fast Ed

We dealt with the Toronto AR warehouse. One of our other wheel & tire suppliers told me that the Toronto operation was the most profitable of all their warehouses, but Wheel Pros shut it down anyway. They had just done a bunch of new racking in the warehouse too. :rolleyes:

cheers
    Ed N.

23. mitchell stewart

mitchell stewart
    from toronto On

In Ontario if you are convicted of speeding 50 klicks over the speed limit the vehicle you are driving wether it is your own,your buddys or a rental it is confiscated and crushed. In the first year over 1000 cars crushed. Rice rockets mostly but there were also Mercedes,Acuras,Audis. This past weekend an AMG Mercedes was caught at 239 K in a 90K zone.

24. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I hope they don't catch on to that in Manitoba.

25. Aftermarket wheels are NOT illegal in Canada.

26. They do notcrush the cars but with some of the storage and towing charges totalling more than the car is worth some guys are walking away from it. Minimum 7 days storage plus the fine has to be paid first.

27. 22rdstrguy

22rdstrguy

I guess it's the old "if you haven't heard a rumor by noon, start one!"

Lot's of Car's/rod's, 4X4's, chopper's around here in B.C., mags/ custom wheels with wide tires(extending past wheel well opening), flowmasters, built engines etc. hell ,I run straight pipes on my Triumph & no front brake(it's law here) cops have looked at my bike they are cool about it (I don't drive like a moron all the time..occasional; stoplight G.P.) If you drive like a 'tard your gonna catch shit! The impounding thing is the anti street racing program. They are tired of young people in tuner cars(yes also 'stang and Firechickens etc.)slamming into other vehicles at 90+ mph and killing innocent people.

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Chris...might be better if they KNOW what you do for a living...

R-

29. mitchell stewart

mitchell stewart
    from toronto On

Ratmotor. In the Globe and Mail on July 20 they have pictures with the AG Michael Bryant and YorkPork watching aD7 making scrap metal out of a Honda car.

30. Yes, if you are caught going over the speed limit more than 50km/h, they will impound your car, you will be charged with steet racing and they will crush your car.