Register now to get rid of these ads!

These Carbs any good for 235?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NCrod, Jan 14, 2009.

1. NCrod

NCrod

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. NCrod

NCrod

Some pics so you don't have to click the link.....[​IMG][​IMG]

3. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

In my opinion these B's are the most practical for your application. They just look, perform, and tune better than Carter's.

4. Terry O

Terry O

I'd recommend going with Carter W-1's. The 574s is a great carb for your application. Lots of info on this site, do a search.

Terry

5. NCrod

NCrod

Thanks for the input fellaz. Yeah I tried to do a search but I just didn't know the name of these carbs. Anymore input would be great:D

6. Terry O

Terry O

Dick is one of the undisputed intake experts on this board, in fact I just had him set-up 4 deuces for me. The reason I like the W-1's is that they use a mechanical power system which for me, is much easier to tune on multiple carb set-ups than those carburetors with a vacuum power system.

Terry

7. carbking

carbking

When selecting carburetors for a multi-carb system, the SIZE of the carburetors is the first criteria.

As to brand, pick a brand with which you are COMFORTABLE, because you are going to have to modify virtually any of them for peak initial performance.

Brand does matter when you consider reliability. And (my opinion, others may differ) while Rochester made "bullet-proof" two barrel and four barrel carbs, I cannot recommend the Rochester single barrel units. This statement following almost 50 years of working on carbs.

This article may be of use:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Dual1barrelcarbs.htm

Jon

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

Carb king has the experiance and good advice. And a good link.

However, two years ago I put a pair of B's exactly like them on my 235 with an Offy manifold.

I replaced a 2GC that I had on a modified stock manifold. I really liked the 2GC, but the stock manifold was hurting me when I startred drag racing the car. Street driving was great, and 21 MPG hyway, too.

Anyway, had some trouble with the B's. The biggest item was leaking from the accel pump slots. fixed this by lowering the fuel level. I think 1/8 in from the spwc is where it's at now and no leaking.
    Drivability is OK, but not as nice as the 2GC was. Did the modifications that the Rochester book recomended, drilling out some of the internal passages. And finally needed to rejet to get them rich enough to have a tan plug reading.

Gas mileage is now in the 16 to 18 range. Idles nice at 800. pulls good off idle. Drives well.

Now the 1/4 mile times with the 2GC were 20 seconds. With the B's it's been to a 17.36 @ 80mph.

Frank

9. Abomination

Abomination

MY opinion surely doesn't differ!! :D

~Jason

10. Abomination

Abomination

THIS book?

[​IMG]

~Jason

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

YES. good info, in there, helped me with the 2GC's over the years and the B's.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner

Those are B's from the later chevy inlines. 230 or 250 maybe.
    Bigger than those for the 235/261.
    I had a pair of those on my 235, many years ago, which was way too much carburetion for a stock street motor with headers.
    Even a pair of 235 carbs were too much for this engine.
    I ended up with a pair of late 1940s 216 carbs on my 235 and 261.

13. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I like the Carter W-1 ....

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Attached Files:

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I run a pair of Stromberg BXOV2s on a McGurk intake on the 235 in my '53 BelAir, and couldn't be happier with both performance and fuel mileage.

16. Abomination

Abomination

One of my favorites, actually. ;)

~Jason

17. 6inarow

6inarow

thats just because you are a rich parts guy and the rest of us can't afford parts like that. I hope you are happy.

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You're such a hateful boy.