Register now to get rid of these ads!

216 chev motor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustchops, May 29, 2004.

1. Has anyone had good luck with the old babbit pounders for a daily driver.? I got one in my 51 it runs great but I dont want to spend a whole load of cash on it if it wont live. Experience or advice? Thanks ..

2. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

235 full pressure oiler!

3. Keep fresh 30 weight NON DETERGENT oil in it and DO NOT PUSH IT HARD FOR LONG STINTS.......it'll be fine.
    Only problem you won't know if its running or shut off as it is a super quiet idleing old motor. [​IMG]

4. old beet

old beet

KC, if its a good runner, should be just fine, they ran for many years. Don't liked to be over reved tho. Pics of the new ride? Where ya been?...........OLDBEET

5. Get pics this weekend, I been trying to sell a ford convert in the garage. Put it on ebay, Almost sold Damn you would think a decent rag would sell my reserve was only 6,800.00

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Fuck, I'd rather drop a lowly VEGA FOUR BANGER into my Fleetline than mess with a 216!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(A tricked 235 or GMC six popper would rock, or the Pontiac OHV six like DirtyT is using in his...but once the 216 dies (and it will), I'd look for something...ANYTHING else to replace it with!)

Personally, though...I always wondered if a Pontiac flathead six or straight eight would bolt into the 49-54 Chevys...they're primitive, but seem to run glass smooth and hold up way better than the OHV Chevy 216s do...anyone tried that swap??

7. Kustm52

Kustm52

People were driving cross country for years before the full pressure oilers 235's came out...if you have one in good shape run it. Now don't be expecting much oil pressure, cold they will run 15 - 20 lbs, and hot 6 - 10 lbs. All were sold lifters, if you hear no valvetrain noise they are too tight and you'll burn a valve...I've often wondered how long one would last with a five speed behind it. Don't run it over 3 grand for hours at a time...find a powerglide rear (3:55 gears) if you want to keep the enclosed drive.

Brian

8. reverendjim

reverendjim

im putting a t5 behind mine with 3 :36 gears so we will fingd out if she dies 235 will drop in so ill chance it

9. R Pope

R Pope

216 will go 80k miles with no problem if you look after it. Keep the revs down and no multi-viscosity oil. The 3.55 rear is a good idea too.

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

the engine has lasted 60+ years. that's a pretty good indicator.my old 46 finally went on the way to kansas and only because i had my head up my butt.when i tore it down there was a half gallon of babbit in the pan.
    the t5 is a good tranny to go behind the inline if the rear gears are right.if not,you'll be replacing the 216 pretty quickly.
    the 235 pressure oiling engine is a good way to go but not if it's not needed.keep your foot out of it,rest it often and keep plenty of oil in it.

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An old timer mechanic once told me he had a lot of 216 rebuilds shortly after the New York State Thruway opened in 1955 and people tried to drive long distances with them at 60+ MPH.

I blew a rod & main bearing out of one of mine during a trip to Virginia about 25 years ago. I had been driving expressways most of the way and I believe thats why they blew. Rather than rebuild the 216, I installed a 235 and never had another problem. I've put 235's in several other 30's-50's Chevy's and would never spend any money again on a 216.

12. HRS

HRS

For what its worth, I the general consensus on the 216 seems to be to run it, as suggested above - low RPMs, moderate speeds and such - until it dies at which point you would be wise to replace it with a 235...of course a GMC 6 would be the cats meow.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

A good one will stay together ... requires aluminum pistons, a GOOD valve grind, .0015 rod clearance, squirter alignment, & 10w oil all year round. They live on oil volume, not pressure ...

14. Okay, but why did you bump a five year old post (2004) to tell us this again?

15. reverendjim

reverendjim

im confused im doing the tranny swap NOW. not five years ago. ive only been a member since oct of 08

16. kb2tha

kb2tha

Reverendjim,
    Don't worry about it. I think some on this forum simply like to get their post count up. Your post is relevant.

17. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

rpms are the killer here. these motors run just fine at 2000 rpm. the high the rpm the shorter the life.