Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who cruised Van Nuys Bl in the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. If you wanna respond to #257, click "quote" on #257 and start typing. It'll attach YOUR writings to HIS and make more sense to all of us:cool:

2. WOW, what brought this on. I thought we were just reminiscing here. How about some PROZAC.[/quote]
    Easy does it Robert. Got'cha's one of the Icons, so show a bit of respect here "junebug":cool:

3. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

You keep givin away all my secrets BOB, I call yur California smogger to a heads up against my "nothing up here has smog shit on it" mini van AND hell I'll give you 5 of your walker lengths AND the go!! Bee-ott-ch!

4. Enough rhetoric. Where's the stories you promised?:rolleyes:

5. BottleBob

BottleBob

GOT'CHA:

So what would I be racing? Your snomobile in the snow, with me running chains on the icy road? Or how about ice racing spiked tires, on ice. Should do wonders for opening up my wheel wells.

I'll give your snow blower 3 and the go. I'll race for three wall blocks of your igloo. :)

--
    BottleBob
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

6. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

One night in the BOA lot we were all bored, but still there would be a race, must be a race, the addiction Gods must be pleased!! I challenged Sunny to a race. He gets $100 if I lose, I get $10 if he loses. I give him 50 feet and the "go" plus count to 10. The parking lot is maybe 250 feet. Sunny's on foot, I'm in "QuickET". I WILL win. I should have won. I lost. Why did a bottom 9 second car lose (now you all know ABOUT how fast it was but where did I hide the nitrous(which I NEVER had to use))? Bobby Carson and Mike Hall poured their pops in front of my 18" wide slicks. When I hit the fast pedal the frickin roadster jumped sideways and to the right, I'm asshole over tea kettle trying to steer that bus steering (Quick ET NEVER got out of shape, I built that car to go straight as an arrow, which it did) and straight up seriously pissed my pants. It was very cold that night. My coat kept me covered but dam the ride home was HORRIBLE. By the time I got there my balls were the size of bb's. And my nickname had to be "Needle dick the bug fucker". We also had foot races like Big Willie use to do on slow nights. We did it a lot on Balboa and one night air 10 showed up and Joe DeLuca was foot racing his buddie Greg Shaw!!! What'cha think those copter piolets thought? 4 to 500 cars and a FOOT RACE!!!!

7. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Here comes one MR. KEWL!

8. BottleBob

BottleBob

Daddyo:

I've had my foot off the gas just ideling along in first gear and and then hit the juice. The car leaps and wants to fry the tires off the rims. So I don't think a two barrel would be all THAT much of a restriction if you have enough nitrous feeding the motor. You could probably put a flat plate where your carb goes and still have a sceamer. If you could somehow make a unit that would idle. Kinda be expensive if you had to drive any distance though. :)

--
    BottleBob
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

9. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Wow time to jump back in. I was just checkin' out the Bof A thread again. Greg Shaw.the name rings a long forgotton bell......Man were gettin OLD....Sparky

10. oh that's fucking hilarious!

11. Remember Pop's Toy? Goerge Boscovich? He had two Burgundy Metallic '69 Boss 429 Mustangs.

12. Yeah, I went to school with his nephew or grandson Scott. He had a CJ 428 Mach I that was about the quickest car in N.H. high, and his cousin a Boss 429

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Oh yeah, wicked sounding Mustangs. Never saw it run though. Were those his daughters or grand-daughters I saw driving the Mustangs?

14. That was his daughter, hot girl.

15. Well Pop died awhile ago. Apparently he was hauling a load with a semi from his farm ( Boscovich Farms ). He unhooked the trailer and as he was walking around back to get to the other side the trailer rolled over him. Killed him instantly I hear.

One Mustang got stolen and the other his daughter has I believe.

16. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I still have my "race?" jacket.....Doubt that it fits!!!

17. roughneck424

roughneck424

I remember seeing the corvette that was in that movie for sale in 81 for $6500

18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

that would be gasserdriver fred. it is a shame we cant get any more pics of this car from the day so it can be repainted like it was. fred is so passionate about this car it isnt funny. damn shame............sw

19. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

I sure wished I had met Pop's, definatly a Ford nut, Only remember him from the article in , I think, Car Craft. Help me out here Tony. As far as WILD ONE goes, I am in contact with Sam Woodard and gasserfred as to the paint job and hopfully they'll be able to match it. I could do it in my sleep. I saw that car in a dream before I ever owned and built the car.Strange thing about that car? It had NEVERR been powered by a V-8 Chevy! As the KS Pittman/John Edwards BB/Gas Supercharged car (which only saw 2 race's) the coupe was powered by a blown Olds. As WILD ONE she won the '74 WINTERNATIONALS for BEST PAINT, BEST USE OF COLOR and BEST COMPETITION COUPE. She NEVER lost a race, she ran a FE FORD engine, had nitrous and NEVER used it, no one will ever know how fast she was, as it should be. That car ran EVERY Wens., Fri., Sat. and Sun. at a different track AND THEN to street race in one town or another. So funny, all the other '37's you'd see from time to time but WILD ONE was there ALL the time and when some yahoo would curl his mouth and ask why I put a ford in a chevy, I'd tell them cause its my car, runs harder than what you have (if anything) and NO, '32 and '40 Fords dont come stock with small block chevies in them. WILD ONE was built not to boost Ford guys but to shut the mouth of those assholes that thought small block chevies were all that, the chevy guy that even bad mouthed other small block chevies and even big block chevies. You bet I remember those assholes and I also saw that person become extint on Van Nuys blvd because I had the hardware to shut their mouths and put their over boasted ride in the weeds. WILD ONE was certainly a warrior and although it made many of it's memorable races being sometimes chased by law enforcements finest, through the city streets of so. Cal, it made it's point and that point is set in history and can never be challenged because me and her lived the '70's to the hilt. We came, we saw, we conquered. End of that story. Your turn Groucho!

20. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i only have the faded car with a black front end and two old pics on here to go by can't make out the flames or the deck lid and roof, have a good idea of some of it, still trying to come up with more veiws of it and colors having never seen it before makes it a tad tough to recreate///// sam

21. My turn? I don't think so. I've told several stories so far, and you, just this:D. You promised your street race stories(and this AIN'T one of them)............we're waiting

22. WOW Grouch, I see that your keeping old friendships alive. Yeah, Pop was a cool old guy. Definately interesting to be around him negotiating a race. You wouldn't think that this old guy would be talking smack with the rest of us but if you made the mistake of challenging him he would be right there holding his own. Then he would go spank ya usually. Tough old guy. Sorry he had to go when he did.

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Where did you guys use to go to eat. Bobs Big Boy at the south end of Van Nuys was popular. I use to go to Tiny Naylors at Sherman Way and Sepulveda. Also Alphys at Nordhoff and Sepulveda. There was a waitress at Alphys named Beverly I use to like.........:p

24. HUH? Pop negotiating a race? I don't think so. He hung in the shadows(sat in his car a lot), and never raced

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

25. He did race Greg's V8 Vega a few times and did race a few cars but not many true. Most of the talking that I saw was done at McDonalds on Van Nuys. Only a few times did I see him at Glenoaks or San fernando.

26. Yeah, I never hung out at the McDonalds. But, I've never even heard of him racing. Have you actually seen it? Were you sober:D?

27. I was there, I was sober, I seen it. He did it, I saw it.

28. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

I agree! :cool:

I think some more pictures and stories about "Wild 1" would be great! I know I've enjoyed watching it go down the track and even racing against it the past few years. I hope to see it out again in a few months for the 2009 season.

29. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

I'm with Groucho on the POP's thing. Like I said earlier, I never met the man but had heard of him but that hearing was about the killer combinations he had put togeather. I didn't know him as a street racer and was seen rarely at the track, if ever, I can't say for sure about the track but I can say for SURE that POP'S didn't participate in the valley street races as he and I, being hard core FORD guys in a sea of sbc competitors, would have been fast friends. You can believe that. He would have been a long friend of Jim Couchers too. That Falcon Sedan of Jim's with the Ford 6 cyl. in it was a rocket but just couldn't keep either rear-ends or transmissions in it. His shop was so cool and had some freaky cars in it. Was anybody at the race between WILD ONE and the boys with the red and white '55 chev 210 post with his "bad ass" sbc from the trailer mfg. place on Conoga Ave.? We all went camping at Pyrymid Lake cause my buddie, that was one of the owners of the co., had a fast flat bottom and we went sking. Well this youngster that worked for them kept on my ass about how you never put a Ford in a chevy and after 3 days of 5 of us humoring him, cut the weekend short to go back to the shop and get the inevitable over with. Before I ran him I told him that there was no backing down or out that the race was for cars. The last words I spoke to him was "You have let your big bear mouth overload your humming bird ass for the last time.". The car was such a joke I kept giving him cars until after 6 loss's I was tired of laughing, I took his car, had his boss drive it to my house, sold the motor and trans and delivered it back to the trailer co. requesting that he build another one and to come see me when he thought he had enough going on under the hood to allow him to be so bold as to challenge my Ford powered chevy again. For the next couple of years (I left 2 years later for the NW) Chris and I were good friends and I helped him build a really strong, rammed sbc. I often wonder about Chris and what he's doing now.

30. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Oh yeah, you guys thought I had leased that parking lot across the street from San Fernando Bob's didn't ya????? Well all I can say to the Lt. from the LAPD is GOT'CHA!!!!!! Tony knows what went on, now. And Groucho, Bob or Curtis (when you retire) call me and I'll tell you the truth about that lot!!! The cops thought they were so sharp, yeah right, about as sharp as marbels!!! And NO, Pops was never in that lot. Thousands of cars but not a one was POP's car, POP's maybe, any of his cars, never.