Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does your car have it's own..... smell?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Midnight 50, Jan 12, 2009.

1. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

My olds has all the original interior still intact and decent shape, and it has that sitting in a barn smell, I left a hoody in it for a week, wore it and the first thing my GF said was that I smelled like the car.

Attached Files:

2. One of my vehicles is a Beetle, and as any Beetle owner knows, they all have that smell. I wish they made it into a cologne.

3. havi

havi

I'm feeling it!!

4. rixrex

rixrex

When I first got my 57 wagon there was a big sack of tamale shucks, a six pack or so of old Lone Star cans and a pretty much complete girls Catholic school uniform, oh and a black Astroturf interior..Yeah, it had a pretty unique smell to it....

5. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

old camaros have that leather smell in them and bel air's have a unique smell to them too but i knopw exacally what you mean

6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

had an el camino for awhile. mild 327 with a muncie and 4 wheel drum brakes. always seemed to smell like rubber, clutch, and brakes. probably driving style.

the 3100 5W smells like the barn it was parked in....mixture of hay, mice left overs, and owl left overs. guess the owl liked the mice.

my styleline doesnt have a definable smell....but i know it.

old cars always smell better than new cars.

7. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

whoop I forgot about the 50 chev 4 dorr I got for parts for $50...

Seems that the dude that owned it killed himself in it...no one found him for a undisclosed amount of time....the rotting flesh smell was embedded in the steel....30 some odd years later...I cut the rear trunk off, some trim off the outside and crushed the rest...that car was evil smellin....

8. good tobacco...atleast in my 50 coupe...

9. My wife hates to drive my cars, they smell of beer, Taco Bell and White Castle wrappers and 7-11 burritos, not to mention my own personal exhaust.

10. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Hell yeah, I'm with that idea.

11. junk fiend

junk fiend

this made me laugh

12. PDQ VW

PDQ VW
    from Canada

Gas, horse hair, chassis grease and battery acid---I love smell of old VW Beetle in the morning!!!

13. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

When I got my car it had been in a barn for a while and the rats got in everywhere. I found a few dead ones and lots of rat shit. Everything is gone except the headliner and it still smells like shit.

14. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I know what your talking about - my current car has it, and my '52 Pontiac had it and so did my '41 Plymouth. You can't buy it, or restore it, or take it out then try to put it back in - it either has it or don't - and if you truly love cars it's special to you!

15. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Maybe it's just me, but I can always tell a good one by it's smell. It's always different, but it's like you can 'smell' one that was loved.

16. timmy t

timmy t

Been there done that

17. eightbanger

eightbanger

Everybody tells me my car has that "old car smell". I say it smells like the 60's.

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

chain saw lube, kfc, and hooker......it was that way when i bought it...yeah, when i bought it......

19. I love the smell of old trucks, because it reminds me of driving around with my grandfather in his big old diesel tanker trucks when I was a kid. It's a combination of rotten upholstery, grease, oil, exhaust, diesel fuel, rust, cigarettes, more grease, cracked up vinyl, horse hair seat padding, and more grease. I smell that smell, and I instantly remember the loud clicking sound that the switch on the side of the shifter makes when you shift the two speed rearend, the noisy gearbox and the grinding gears, the holes in the floor where you could watch the street go under you, hanging your elbow out the window to get your armpit "air conditioned", the sound of the engine, and the stiff bouncy ride of a big heavy truck that rattles everything to pieces.

It's kind of sad in a way when you fix up your junky old truck and make it smell like new again.

20. aceuh

aceuh

Found this tree under the back seat while we had the interior out....Thought I should label it...

[​IMG]

21. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I use to try to tell my mom that smell way tobacco.

22. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

My grandfather was a sign man and he drive a big 60's international with a manual hydraulic crane on it, ladder over the crane running the boom. I remember cranking the wire in to tighten it up so it would snug to the front bumper. It was his only source of transportation, no cars. He drove it everywhere he needed to be, including dropping me off at school and whatever else when I was young.

I remember when I was younger he restored the seats and repainted the dash and it smelled like enamel and fresh leather for a while, but it still smelled like that old truck no matter what.

23. mine smells like those little blue and green tree air freshners mixed together....love the smell and reminds me of high school.......other wise my car woulda smelled like weed in the 70s

24. Rusty

Rusty

25. Dog427435

Dog427435

I love that old car / musty smell of cars of the forties and fifties!

My Camaro smells of race gas and oil burning off the headers and so do I and any clothes I'm wearing when I get out of it!

Speaking of smells -when I was a kid we always went from NY to NC over Christmas vacation to visit relatives. Somewhere in Jersey as we all started getting cranky and fidgety Mom would break out the Juicy Fruit gum to calm us down. This was a rarity and a real treat. Anytime I smell Juicy Fruit I always think back to the back seat of that old Ford station wagon!

26. Finktim

Finktim

I've talked to a lot of guys with early Ford coupes about the damned exhaust fumes leaching into the interior. Chuck Darnel told me that if you have air leaking in around the trunk it's like a vacuum and just sucks it into the cab of the car. If the windows are up, it really doesn't come in, if they are down, it sucks it in like mad. I've got limefire headers too, and they seem to leak some fumes too even though they supposedly don't and don't even recommend gaskets when bolting to the block. I always get the same shit from my wife when I get home and hug her. "You smell like fumes. Your frying your brain in that thing." On the upside, if I ever decide to knock myself off, it wouldn't take long.......:eek::eek:

Other than that, oil smell and farts......Come to think of it, it smells like that just about everywhere I go. Weird. :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  27. PDQ VW

PDQ VW
    from Canada

Sweet Juiceyfruit gum!!
    Always reminds me of being a (hockey) rink rat as a kid. We saved our coins and bought gum and 5cent bags of chips.
    Which reminds me now of Zamboni exhaust mmmmmmm :):D

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

Yes, it smells like OLD CAR. I love it. When ever I take my wife to car shows, I always sniff the insides of cars and she gets pissed cuz it makes me look stupid she says.

29. Mine smells of mouse piss. Gotta get rid of the little bastard one day.

30. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Juicy fruit is an awesome flashback.