Register now to get rid of these ads!

5000 dollar challenge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrrich, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

Ok, start with any doorslammer body you already have, steel, pre 65 with no rear end. No factory lightweight cars. 41 Willys? Altered wheelbase? Sure. Spend only 5000 dollars to build it not including the body. Lightweight body parts have to be purchased new and documented. You have to rebuild the motor and supply documentation. You can do any machining yourself but you have to deduct going rates for machine work. You can port your heads but you have to deduct hourly shop rate. Same with the rear end and transmission. Deduct shop rates for rebuilding sure grips, posi's, changing gears etc. Welded up 9 inch spools? 8 &3/4 swap meet drop outs? Awesome. Any rear suspension, homemade ladder bars, whatever. But you have to buy everything except for the body after the challenge starts. Ebay listings, Craigslist, auto trader etc. No buddy deals from friends. Has to be going rates. 100 bucks to enter. Winner take all. No tubing benders, has to be single hoop pre-made roll bars. No forced induction. You have 6 months starting feb 15. Complete build photos have to accompany every entry on this site. July 15, a video at any dragstrip showing the fastest time, with accompanying time slip showing number on the car, gets the cash. Serious street cred for going faster than 10 flat and getting kicked off the track. Who's in?

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

if i had 5k, id build something i could drive everyday...so im out!

3. scrape

scrape

now this would be cool!!!!!!
    it would be even cooler if every one meet up at the same track......

4. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

Sounds like a lot of rules.

Plus, a lot of money.

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

can -o-friggin-worms

sometimes i wonder what these newbs are smokin...

6. BinderRod

BinderRod

I can't even afford a 5 dollar challene

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sweet ...... Does that count the air in the tires :)

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm out... Too many swap meet finds: $100 for 'glass doors from the Webster swap meet in Floriduh, $80 for fiberglass front fenders from Charlotte Autofair. Traded for a set of A-100 van seats. 8 3/4 rear... too many deals to list.

-Brad

9. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

Also buying all new takes all the fun out of building cars.

10. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

If you figure $50 shop rate, that is only 100 hours of build time and no parts.

Can't be done if you have to pay for your own labor.

11. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

5K? The hell with that I vote we go $500!

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

What?? really com'on you have to charge shop rates on a mild port job, rears and trannies if you cant/dont have the capability to do either you shouldnt be in something like this in the first place. Make it what the parts cost this comp is dumb count me out, even though i'll have less than 5 into my entire rig including body and interior and probably be at the slowest mid 12's with a 302 chev

13. What about factors for elevation at the different tracks? Too many variables, if time slips from different tracks,are competing against each other. This is a "pipe dream";) challenge.Back to "Traditional Hot Rods",you know,where you never count your own hours,because your are doing something for the love of it!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  14. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

15. Charging for your own labor is retarded. Eliminating buddy deals is also stupid. Aren't those two of the founding pillars of hot rodding, scrounging from your sources and workin your ass off to make something happen? And you think someone will drop sub 10s? You're high.

16. Buckle

Buckle

Whenevery money is involved, everyone will start crawling all up in each other and arguing about every single detail, happens every time that I enter a "fun" competition. It's not fun.

Buckle

17. scrape

scrape

me and 2 other friends built this last year.....
    best of 12.50 at 106..... built for under $4000.....

Attached Files:

18. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

no offense, this is the dumbest idea i've ever read on here!

19. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

how has it stayed open this long?????????????

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You haven't been around for very long so it isn't the dumbest I've ever seen posted. It is a contender though , I'll give you that.:(

Frank

21. henry29

henry29

I've never paid full price for anything.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

silly idea... I'd rather do the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. Their rules seem more conducive to a real build. Plus you get to spend $2009 this year.

23. dbradley

dbradley

zman beat me to it. Already done for many years now. I think it started with y2k in 2000 for $2000.

24. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

stole the idea from Grassrootsmotorsports Magazine $200X CHALLENGE What a hack!

25. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

With all the rules and regs you posted I doubt it could be done....I'm in the process of porting and polishing a set of SBC heads, only have one done and have 20 hours in it...granted I'm slow but still....

I say you do it first then report...

26. brandon

brandon

heres my deal....i have a 64 chevelle...haven't started on it , other than installing the qtr skins, but it already has the 6 point rollbar , got the 12 bolt axles/spool/gear off of the bay for 350 and the housing was a freebee...body came with no m/t or rear...but came with headers , radiator , wheels , front tires , rear suspension components ( bottom bars , adjustable tops and no hops) fuel cell , filter , 1/2 lines , regulator , seat etc....how does this figure into this...? counting the 2 new quarter skins , coil overs & housing brackets, install kit for the gear , "trick cover" and a pair of mark williams billet caps , i'm only at 2k for the whole deal including the car.....i have a couple motors , so i can't see paying for one....though one could stand to be freshened up....would i figure that in ? already got a glide and 5200 convertor , both used ...when i bought this thing , i was figuring on using all of my left over stuff and do it half way cheap...just remembered , i did spend 460 on a set of disk brakes and dropped spindles and new front end rebuild kit....so , i am still at 2500 for the whole package, minus existing motor and trans....

i got a pretty good idea of what your shooting for....and i'd be all for it , other than i have a lot of stuff , that would get me in to the program , but no receipts to show...:rolleyes::D which is pretty much not what your looking for.......could i buy a body and use my goodies and sorta go about it in reverse....brandon

27. RichG

RichG

doorslammer with no rearend, pre 64?

how will it go?

28. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

29. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Dude, Mr. Rich is a newb to no man, he ranks up there with Sellers. Check Hot Rod, Car Craft, Muscle Car Review, Mopar Muscle, and the like for credentials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.