Register now to get rid of these ads!

America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. maybe it can be presented retrospectively to the guy who built that beige abortion on the front page...only turn the award sideways and shove it where the sun dont shine!!!!

2. i'll be there friday and saturday at the pinstripers reunion. if there's anything i can do to help, please dont hesitate to ask.

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

i heart this place.

4. TexanCherryBomb

TexanCherryBomb
    from Delete me

I love the idea. Every year, they come out with those cars, and I just complain how I would much rather choose an AMBR winner from the 50's or the 60's, compared to the ones that are winning the AMBR now. The sad thing is, I'm only 20 years old (47 days til i'm 21 and counting) and even I know those things are not worthy of the AMBR. These cars are completely unoriginal, all look the same, and are just screwed up interpretations of classic cars. Tradition will always outlast modern trends. Period.

Now, start making the dang trophy so I can lust after it!!

Matt

5. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

You ain't the only one!:D

6. Ryan,

I think it is a great idea, and I am also local to the show and always go if anybody needs help with this idea. Please let me know if I can do anything.

CBB

7. hhrTroy

hhrTroy
    from Burbank

Ditto. John Buck is a great guy...he spoke to me about this at SEMA.. he seemed earnestly excited about it, and really hoped you would do it!

8. Great idea whose time has come!

9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

A great idea and one that the promoters of the show would do well to consider doing themselves.

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

They are, really. They have an entire building of the show called Suede Palace.

11. John, myself and his now right hand man have been talking about this for a year now. It was a matter of figuring out how to make it fit in with everything else the show is about and the other special awards, like Brizio, LA Roadster, etc. He was looking for advise as to handle this in a way that was professional and fit the needs of Everyone involved. He talked to other like HHR Troy because he really wantd to do the right thing.
    John is a great guy and has made the show better than it had been in years. The Significant 75 was amazing and this years 60th Anniversary should blow your socks off.
    there really are a lot of Bitchin cars other than just the suede palace and if everyone would open their eyes and minds they would see there is a lot to the Hot Rod hobby that they might be missing.
    Have fun at the show and see you there

12. Concrete B

Concrete B

13. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

14. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Thats a great idea. I think that when it comes to shows such as the GNRS the awards are given to people who have dumped a ton of money into buying thier car instead of a ton of craftsmanship into building thier cars. They get an award for some one elses work.

15. I'm ready, when/where do I pick up my official HAMB Ballot?

Dennis

16. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Thank you, well said !

CC

17. So,the HAMBR Trophy is actually going to happen!!!! That's so cool,Ryan!!!

18. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I still like the idea of a stealth trophy that just magically shows up next to the winning car in the morning, like it was chosen by demons of the night.

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sounds cool! I'll be there all day Sat. to check it out. Looks like there are going to be a few super nice potential contenders that we already know about this year and look forward to seeing them in person.

20. madjack

madjack

This is an idea that is way over due. Maybe a couple of the friday art show demons could build the award?

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Kirk, I was referring to the original topic: Determining America's Most Beautiful Roadster using guidelines of style, nuance, proportion and beauty as an alternative to (or alongside of) the current winner being determined by usual car show point system which favors cliche'd showcars.

My point was that the promoters would do well to recognize Ryan's concept and embrace it officially. The best looking roadster of the whole show, not just the Suede Palace.

Hotroddon is alluding to the same concept in his post above on this page. I am assuming the John he refers to is the current promoter. After attending indoor shows all over the country for the past 50 years, I can testify that the present incarnation of this show proves that these promoters will stop at nothing to provide the ultimate rod 'n' custom show experience, at least from the perspective of the spectator.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  22. pinman 39

pinman 39

If the purpose of this is to give an award for the "most beautiful roadster " of " hambers style" not" show rod " style why not submit pics of roadsters of' hambers' and give an award to the best looking roadster that we see pictured on here ! Lets have a cyber roadster show !

23. best idea i have heard this year
    the car they picked this year was down right ugly

24. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Two Thumbs Up! Way Up!

25. oneoff

oneoff
    from NH

Ten years ago, at the Detroit Autorama, it was Staurday night at closing time. We were packing up for the night (covering the car, putting the valuable stuff away) when Sam Radolf and his significant other came up to us and said "its unanimous; you won" I said won! won what? He said "you won the Yosemite Sam Award, Scultural Excellence Award"

I had no idea what he was talking about but we graciously accepted. The next morning he came by the display before the show opened with this three foot high scupture that was breathtaking. He said that because we had won his award that we would likely win the Riddler too. We were shocked because our car was such a traditional piece and that the Riddler always went to a modern day hot rod, steet rod etc.

The

26. oneoff

oneoff
    from NH

My point is that, the award was presented on Sat night so it did not conflict with the Sunday night awards show. Because it was presented on Saurday, the award was displayed all day Sunday with the car. Everyone that came by couldn't help but notice the award and could see that this car had won it.

I would recomend doing the same and I'm sure John Buck nor anyone else would mind the award. This would eventually lead to this throphy being as iconic as the AMBR throphy itself.

27. Good sentiment, but impractical let alone impossible to try to judge craftsmanship or engineering from a photo.
    There are thousands of cars that look perfect from 50 feet.

28. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

My take on it when I heard the worst kept secret on the planet was Ryan & a hand full of his Buds would cruise the show Friday , pick a selection of say 5 cars , all HAMB friendly ,that they could take a first hand look at, these were then put on here for all members to "vote " on on Friday evening till whenever on Sat, then the trophy stealthily presented to the most popular, no drama , no treading on the Show promoters toes & not stealing their thunder. Jobs a good un ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  29. 39delux

39delux

That's what I understood too from the start of this thread. Seems like the best way to do it.

Tom