Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 1964 GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Very cool post!!! That little RPU on the right side of the page got my mouth watering!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Do they still do these programs? Are they still cool or no? I love the last shot with FED, it's a perfect way to close the program.

4. mcload

mcload

Interesting; thanks Geoff! Just goes to show its all been done before.

5. froghawk

froghawk

Great stuff here! Love "Hump's Heap" Deuce 5-window (just classic!). Too bad about the unfortunate fin restyle on the '59 Fury on the same page!

6. retro54

retro54
    from PA

thank you for sharing ryan!... I think I'm most captivated by the few advertisements..... I want an Autostereo! how cool would that be...

7. Lost1

Lost1

Good stuff. Thanks!

8. epinut

epinut

Yeah, great stuff! Wish I could've been able to save the bike pics though...

9. koth

koth

Hey Ryan, thanks for sharing. I was was going to the big show here in Cincy back then with my folks and just grinning ear to ear realizing there were other nuts like me, into cars. I especially liked the Harleys. Try riding around with just a rear mechanical brake...It gets harry real quick!

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where are all the photos people took? that's what I want to know. old stuff like this is why I take 2-300 or more pics at every show I go to. what would you give for a box of 200 slides from this show?

page 13. "41 chevy 4 door" this car is still around and in mint condition. last seen at one of the last Andy's picnics. as a matter of fact that is the only place I ever saw it over the years.

if I'm not mistaken Dennis Varnis model A is the same one he won the AMBR award with several years ago.

where's Mr. Peabody and the wayback machine?

11. the girls in 1964 used to cover most things up then, had to use your imagination!!!
    little different now days????

12. sorry 49ratfink ... you are mistaken :) ... Dennis won the 1992 AMBR with his '29 Roadster (which was the same car he originally built in 1970-71 ... and was featured / road-tested in several issues of ROD&Custom and HOT ROD magazine) ... like it says in the program, the roadster Dennis showed at Oakland in '64 was an orange '31 roadster.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

doh! .... I knew he had it for a long time. oh well.

did you see your favorite Chrysler was there? suprised you didn't comment on that.

14. Actually, I did see that ... I was in the middle of looking for my pics of it at the '64 GNRS to post when I saw your post about Varni's roadster ... and decided to razz you instead :D

Anyway, two Joe Wilhelm built Customs were shown at Oakland in 1964:

[​IMG]

I don't want to open up another can of worms about the Mark I Mist '36 ... so I'll just post a couple of pics of Clif Inman's '57 Chrysler at a San Jose car show (not Oakland / GNRS) circa 1964:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  15. very cool...nice follow up to the Mantaray thread...thanks boss

16. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

cool stuff, I`m digin the turbo sonic daddy`o

17. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Glad I could share the pix of the program. The MantaRay is such a cool car.

There were 3 feature cars in 1964, and these are shown early in the program for 1964:

* MantaRay
    * Turbosonic
    * Shark

I have been researching the history of the Shark for the past many years and finally found the car a few years ago. I've attached a pix of it below that shows it in the 1964 GNRS as well. Some neat cars in the background.

I've also attached some pix of the MantaRay from a visit to the Petersen Museum this past summer. They are a bit dark....time for a new camera (or photographer).

Hope you enjoy the pix.

Geoff

Attached Files:

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've also attached some pix of the MantaRay from a visit to the Petersen Museum this past summer. They are a bit dark....time for a new camera (or photographer).

couple of clicks with some $40.00 photo editing software would brighten those shots right up. I'd take out the show ropes too while I was in there, but that's just me.

19. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Is'nt that the Mark Mist facing the Chyrsler in the next row over ??

20. Nope

21. Deuce76063

Deuce76063

In Image 17, behind the Chrysler dragster, there is a car that looks like a customized 1960-62 Plymouth Valiant. Anybody know what that car is?
    Bob

22. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

OK, so I got confused. Reading Ryan's article gives the impression that it won the roadster show. Obviously the Mantaray is not a roadster. The big trophy was won by Don Tognotti with his "King T". Dean Jeffries Mantaray won Tournament of Fame in 1964.

23. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Love the ads from Bailon, Winfield, and Rapp.....

24. Pscott

Pscott

I wonder if the "Ralph H. Barger" who entered the Sporty was Sonny Barger of the H.A.M.C.?

25. Yep ... Ralph Hubert = Sonny

26. Love the picture of Gene Winfield and also of Frank Livingston who was an experienced builder already back then!!