Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I remove my "patina"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Jan 13, 2009.

?

Finish options

Poll closed May 13, 2009.
  1. Leave it alone

120 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Media Blast, 3M pad, clear coat

19 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Media blast and primer

154 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. Chopperman

Chopperman

Since I've got the car completely torn down, I've been tossing around the idea of having the body blasted and finished...I'm 50/50 on the thought..What do you guys think?

Not really interested in a full on paint job at this time, but as mentioned I'm considering a steel clear coat or throwing some primer on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your car Chopperman but these days patina is the new flat black with red wheels. I think it would look killer with some flake!
    Doc.

3. "patina" is so 2008.

4. Chopperman

Chopperman

lol

5. Chopperman

Chopperman

Yeah, don't have the coin for a BLING paint job this go around... If I take it off, I might have to go with "cough" "cough"... Flat black or red /brown primer, until next year...

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see, hmm..... In that case Id maybe wait and leave it as is untill I had the money to throw at it. (How do I take back my vote?)
    Doc.

7. zombie

zombie

thats a great looking car. finish it. i think the only way i would leave the original paint is if it was some sort of history car with lettering or something.

z

8. cretin

cretin

I voted for primer, but only in anticipation of some sort of shiney paint.

9. Chopperman

Chopperman

I do think it was a state car as it had this on both doors. I wish I had the emblems :( I could always make up a history and save a few K.... :D

Since I had to replace the lower panels, the lettering is NO MO though....

J/K......

Attached Files:

10. budd

budd

i vote for black wax

11. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Ditto.....

12. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

The car needs 'finishing'

13. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I like chrome reverse wheels and an Art Himsel /Carl Casper/ Roth type fade job.
    Groovy man.

14. I think patina is over rated on cars with no real or traceable history. If you are fixing the major rust, why not do up the rest? I just dont understand the sence of keeping patina at the risk of more long term damage from corosion. Just because a killer paint job is'nt in the budget is no real reason to alow the rest of the body to rot away. Just my .02.
    Just by looking at the lone pic you posted, You have a killer ride right now. Get it ready for paint while you have her apart. When the money is there, you'll have far less work to do. Im sure in the long term you'll be happy you did.

15. JimSibley

JimSibley

Me too.

16. cactus zach

cactus zach

if you gonna do it "flat black" add SoMtHiNg to break it up a bit like say red scallops or dare i say flames but thats up to you really just a suggestion

17. You could always do a flat color for now, just to be a little different.....

18. It looks great as is! I'd pay to have that look! Why did you have to replace those lower panels? If the doors will keep snakes out, what else ya want em to do?

19. That seems like an awful lot of work just to make it look like you DIDN'T paint it!:eek:

20. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

My vote is leave it alone until you are going to paint it. Nice car. Peter

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd say do a less expensive single stage paint job. Not a bling paint job. But You can do a single stage for just a little more than just primer. You can get some color, some UV prtection, a little shiney. It'll keep it ready for when you want to go for the bling job. In my opinion patina is not doing the body any favors in lasting.

22. ditto what Cretin said.

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What he said. A gallon of straight color acrylic enamel and hardener is about a hundred bucks.

Brian

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  24. Don't leave it in primer. If you're gonna do that, might as well do a flat paint job. Tell you what, I've done quite a few cars with plain old Rust-Oleum. Properly prepped, it holds up nicely, and gives a nice, semi-gloss sheen. It'll also ward off any moisture until you do have the money and time for a high-buck job.

25. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Here ya go. If you're going to own a car like that, I think it deserves a little extra cash. Save your pennies by eating Ramen noodles for a couple of weeks and buy nice paint. Check this out....

http://www.paintforcars.com/enamel_paint_kits.html

26. wsdad

wsdad

If you like beautiful, paint it. You'll have a lot less explaining to do to non-car people. Anyone can look at it and say, "That's beautiful."

If you like ugly (some people do), keep the rust. You'll have to answer the question, "Why?" a lot. Give it a fancy name like, "patina" and sometimes they'll get it.

The "bad guys" usually like rust. The ladies and the craftmen usually like beautiful. What do you like? Who are you trying to impress with this with this car? Answer those two questions and paint accordingly.

I think your car's cool. It has "the look" - very nice proportions and stance.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I too dont have the coin right now to put shine on my A
    so I opted for the sand it down fix the bad areas, and prime it and maybe even seal it with a flat clear this summer, just to keep all my body work and original good steel in good condition until I can spend the money on paint

28. Do the car the justice of saving it from future rust issues and paint it. I completely understand the "not having the $$" 100%, I don't currently either. Prep it, prime it, but make sure you put a sealer on so you don't have moisture seeping under the porous primer or you will have more issues later on. Kiilere looking ride though.

29. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Do the body work, prime it and block it out, hit it with a DP 60 sealer. You can do that yourself for 300. DP 60 is a baby blue sealer, DP 40 is light OD green, DP sealers come in red oxide too. DP 90 being black. My body has had DP 90 on it for 5-years , body work holding fast. My opinion only, your car do what you want.

30. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

wsdad,

Some ladies like bad guys though! [Good Hearted Women - Waylon] Ha!

I concur with the call for a nice straight color. I might not be the best advice giver on what looks good, but I can't recall the last time I've seen a nice white color on a hot rod. It may be bland, but with a little artistic approach to striping, I think it could be a killer looking car. I think it would certainly catch someone's eye.

I'll vote primer in the assumption that your spraying something over it. :D