Register now to get rid of these ads!

Feeler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerplant, Jan 9, 2009.

1. I like it. Looks like some excellent workmanship on both the frame and the seats. I personally wouldn't build one that low because I'm 6'5" 260# and would have a hard time getting my tall fat long-legged carcass in and out of it. That's the only reason. I like the look.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like the truck and awesome looking chassis. I like that you used a floating axle rearend. Fantastic work on the bomber seats though I would never use them. I took the stuffing out of my bench seat to sit a little lower. After a couple of days, it was killing my back but I'm an old fart.

3. I saw your build on this over at the "other" site. Glad that you are getting good comments over here. Keep up the good work. And I still like it with the hood on!

[​IMG]

4. Ha!!

I have some foam that I throw in the bottom of them.... they are surprisingly comfortable.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm not a huge fan of some of those style trucks...but you've really pulled it off well!
    The squareness of the body helps for sure...but the whole thing looks in proportion to me. Even the long frontend works on that truck!!!
    Very nice job.
    Seats? Spectacular!

6. That's what I said when I was trying to decide what seats to use. After shucking out $$$ for my A&P training... I figured I may as well use something I learned. After 15 years being out of school I am a bit rusty though.

7. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

I like it all. The seats are amazing. I'd like to see a pic with the hood on it.

8. I sold the hood .... this is project "cheap" for me. Between both of the emblems and the hood I almost made back what I paid for the whole thing in the first place. If I feel the urge I may just make a hood down the road.

9. I like the truck as is. Looks fine without further work. Seats are great!

10. That's one of the first things that people usually notice. I picked up a 1970 Chevy C-20 2wd truck which gained me some heavy duty stuff. The truck was a "camper edition" Dana 60, 402 BBC, 400T trans. The 402 is kind of weird, it seams that Chevy screwed up a whole slug of 396's so they decided to go ahead and use them anyway.

11. HotRod33

HotRod33

I like the truck just a few things that I would do a little different, but thats why it is your truck you built it the way you wanted it and that is great.... How much do you sell a set of seats for???......

12. BOHICA

BOHICA

Same here. I hate seeing old trucks cut up like that and think the look is way overdone. That said, yours is kinda cool and it looks like you've done a good job on it. Nice seats.

13. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

man that truck would be bitchin even if it didnt have no seats! what about the rest of the truck. motor work, trans, rear, suspension etc. nothing wrong with anything over 400 ". trailer fenders in the rear, mc fenders in the ft? please no fake patina.

vaya con Dios

14. Nice. 2nd vote for more info about the windshield frame.

15. That truck has been built with safety in mind. I am referring to the spring perches that were custom made for the radius rods. I am making a set also did you use 1/4 inch plate or heavyer?

16. I have only sold 2 sets so far. Mostly because I am slow at getting them out. The first pair I made I sold for $250 shipped although I didn't take the time to sand them down and I knew I could do better in terms of the design and I warned the guy of this as well. He was still quite pleased with them. I should have asked more, they sold the day after I posted them.... live and learn I guess.

The second set I traded for more aluminum at my local steel supplier who is into cars. Compaired to how much he charged me for the first 2 sheets I would say he gave me about $600 worth of aluminum for the pair.

I have contemplated sticking them on ebay to gauge what they are really worth but stuff isn't selling like it used to (I bet you can guess why).

If you had to ask me right now I would go $450-$500 shipped for the pair depending on location. I don't think this is bad considering the material cost and the butload of time spent on each one. Keep in mind that they are still not perfect... I sand them down and scotchbright them but there are still nicks and scratches here and there. There may also be a rivet or two that didn't get bucked just right with a smile on the head or not smashed just right.

17. The plate was much heavier that 1/4..... without looking I would guess 3/4. I made sure to bevel all the weld areas to be sure of complete penetration both where the bracket slips over the wishbone arm and where I welded on the shackle mount. I have some better pics I will post up when I get home later today.

18. I will do a tech article on it and post a link once I get it done. I may have to do some searching though as I think someone here already did something similar and I don't want to steal there thunder. I just can't remember where I got the idea... either way... I will post something as to how I did it with respect given where it is due.

I will either post a link on this thread or something. I may throw up a build thread on my truck due to some of the positive feedback I am getting and steer everyone there.

19. Not planning on any patina as I think I may paint it battleship grey down the road. I just keep using spraypaint on some of the stuff I have welded on to try and ward off rust as I don't know when I will get the time to prep and paint it... that may take me a year or two. I just want to get the thing drivable first. Not planning on running any fenders although some on the back if done right may be cool.

20. Sprocket71

Sprocket71
    from Anna, Tx

Your bomber seats are rad and I too wish I had something to bolt em in. HANDMADE in the USA is what its all about. Don't be too hard on yourself for the turnaround time!

21. Here they are...... I killed 2 birds with one stone as I did my pie cut in the wishbone arm... welded it and then slid the bracket over the pie cut and welded this right over it.

Attached Files:

22. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I just found this post from your other one and am interested to see what you do. I'm building a 34 International and while it's going to be really different than yours, there are some odd similarities like the front rails, which are very similar.

If you have any leftover International parts, PM me.

23. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

personaly I think the truck would be nice if you were to finish it to a "60's show rod theme". Motorcycle fenders up front, some type of athtetically pleasing bobbed fenders in rear. Really lay out the paint job nicely, run the full hood. chrome everything in sight. Even run a full chrome exhaust out the rear. Tuck and roll everywhere you can even the bed cover. make it the poster child for advertising your cool seats. my 25 cents worth !

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  24. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yes, there is interest, and yes, I admit that I sent one of these IH's to the crusher about 20 years ago, which I totally regret. Keep posting progress, I will keep watching, (and wishing ..........................)

25. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Your seats are pure artwork. Although not my style, your truck looks good. You have some good ideas that fit the build style. don't let anyone discourage you because their taste is different than yours.