Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does your car have it's own..... smell?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Midnight 50, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

You know like a newer car smells like plastic, or leather, or whatever it smells like.

Does your car have a particular old car smell that if you were out and smelled that smell somewhere you'd think of your car? Like a 50 year old bench seat, or maybe a particular way the engine heats up the body and produces a scent. Maybe you have a headliner that has been hanging there for 20 years... something. Maybe you smell burning oil :D

I got in an old Lincon once that was all original and I could smell the vintage interior and it stuck in my mind how that old car smelled.

Do you associate a smell with your car that is unique to the car?

2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Only after $1 taco Tuesdays.

3. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

zzzzziiiiingggg

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

You obviously have no minor children who like to hide chicken nuggets under the seat untill they turn green and grow hair...... Yea, my ride's got a smell, but I aint about to brag on it! :eek:

5. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

mine did but i am worried it might be gone now i have had it back to bare metal and replaced the old deadener with dynamat, it was partly gear oil and petrol with vynil and deadener, suurely one of these fragrance companies could see the need the formulate a "old car smell" fragrance for freshly rebuilt car that may be missing there proper smell.

6. Retired

Retired

Mine smells like the barn it spent most of its life setting in.

7. littleratracing

littleratracing

According to my neighbour my car smells of petrol and oil and that it's about time I got a car that didn't smell or make the neighbourhood look untidy.

8. does B/O , gas and horse manure count?

9. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Yes it does, thanks to the roadkill I hit on the way to Indy this past June.

You do the figuring. Bloated dead something about two foot high pile, meets bumper of '52 pickup thats about 4" off the ground.

What didn't go over went under and caught on every bolt, hanger, and sharp edge under the truck not to mention the greasey slur alone the rear section of my exhust that just baked along the way.

Let me tell you I tried everything to rid/cover this smell but it took about 6 months of time to get rid of most.:eek:

10. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Mine always smells like something burning......;)

11. troylee

troylee

is ass a smell, then yes.

12. c10addict

c10addict

I know what your talking about... Old 60's and 70's Mopars have the same interior smell that you never forget...

13. budd

budd

a couple years ago i was selling iron work at a street market, i pull up and start unloading at my spot, a guy comes up and sticks his head in my truck window, takes a deap breath looks at me as says it smells just like his grand dads old truck, i had the window down cause i was farting my ass off the whole way there...lol

14. Weasel

Weasel

My mom used to have a car called 'Horseshit' because that's what it smelled like.:eek:

15. flatblackstude

flatblackstude
    from carver, ma

Right now mine smells like a musty interior that sat baking in the sun with the windows up for over 20 years! I love it!

16. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Right now my daily smells like puke....the joys of having a three year old with a sudden case of stomach flu...(yeah you all chuckle but all ya'll with kids have been there...I felt bad for the lil guy...)

Man I cleaned the snot outta it too....oh well

17. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Shot a rabid skunk that was attacking my dogs in the driveway. Didn't think that the windows being down on the car would matter. The cloth interior soaked it up like a big sponge. The car stunk for weeks. My Fiat project smells like welding fumes and old metal at this point.:)

18. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

19. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

mouse piss, incense, burning oil..............Oh yeah, i would recognize that smell anywhere!

20. lets see here, my power wagon smells like old dead skunk, my 46 international dump truck smells like coal , and my 46 chevy fleatline mells like airplane grease and leaded gas exaust..

21. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Smells like Bondo right now.

22. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Unfortunately...the 55 wagon smells like rat piss...and there's nothing inside to hold the smell. It's getting to be less and less as time passes (1.5 years now) but on humid, wet days, I can still smell it.

Car came from Utah and when rat(s) had lived in it. Back floorboards were covered in rat turds. I took a shower in rat turds when I tore out the headliner (YUK!) and finally, found the mummified remains under the front seat when I removed it.

23. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Maybe there can be something Nostalgic about puke and piss. :D

24. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

To me all 60's Ford's have that good ol' musty smell. I've had a bunch of 60's Mustangs and a couple of 60's F100's-F250's... they all smell the same. All 80's Ford trucks i've owned all smell the same. Kind of a dusty smell.

My 50's cars have had the same musty smell too.

It doesn't smell bad to me though. I love it. I'll never put an air freshener in any of 'em.

25. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

When I was a kid I had a big Olds and it smelled like tuna inside, especially the back seat!!

26. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

vinyl and wd-40 remind me of the 55 ford truck my dad had when i was a little kid... and stinky plastic screwdriver handles remind me of the 66 riviera. I love that smell.

27. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

carbon monoxide, grass,dirt and bud light some times burnt clutch and blow by at the track I love the way my car smells :) it smells like home!

28. Barn-find '63 chestnut/chestnut Galaxie 500/XL 4-door HT with no power options, 352/Cruise-O-Matic. Bought at Wahoo Swap Meet in '91 for $200 - loved Galaxies, wanted an XL, price was right. Found out once it warmed up why it sold for $200 other than it drank oil, needed exhaust, brakes and tires and quarters/trunk were rotting out. Couldn't get the damn mice smell out. Tried charcoal briquettes, then-current girlfriend gave me a bottle of some stuff she used for her dogs that didn't work. Vinegar, Irish Spring, dryer sheets...NOTHING could kill the smell. Daily drove it until '96, wife made me sell because she couldn't stand the smell. Guy in LaVista bought it for the XL parts and probably stripped it - crying shame.

More of a crying shame was that I had to get rid of it for a hand-me-down '76 Caprice 4-door that in-laws stored in a hay shed that smelled of old hay - a real land yacht, turd brown in color, and a constant parts-eater. Only redeeming quality was stock 350-4v. Heater core blew one morning going to work on I-680/Pacific St., rolled down windows and people called in to the radio stations reporting my car was on fire (I'm not kidding), adding to the aroma! Master cylinder let go one night going home from work and narrowly missed taking out a fire hydrant south of 108th & Q. Finally shelled out the rear end driving in to work one morning in late August '97, and by Labor Day weekend I got a '87 elCamino that I still drive.

29. phukinartie

phukinartie

My first car was a 68 cutlass s it got wrecked [long story] 2 years ago i got a 68 442 one of the first things Inoticed was the familiar smell ...It brings back great memories

30. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

There are definatley smells associated with some cars. Someone mentioned the mid 60's Mopars.......I had several of them, yup they all smelled the same on the inside.

1967-72 Ford trucks all have a distinctive odor
    Old VW's....there's no mistaking that smell

Its amazing. I could be blindfolded and step into a 67-72 Ford truck and by the sound of the door closing and the smell of the interior I could identify it

Its funny how a smell can take you back in time

Bobby