Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Merc Fuel Sending unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buildingit, Jan 10, 2009.

1. buildingit

buildingit
    from Houston

I just purchased a 50 merc original gauge cluster and it wont be here for 2 weeks. Does anyone know the ohm range of the original fuel gauge ? Im trying to buy an aftermarket 5 hole sending unit for the tank so I can put the body back on. Just lacking knowing the ohms on the original gauge to get the correct sender. Let me know. Thanks

2. buildingit

buildingit
    from Houston

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Original sender was not just a variable resister but consisted of a bi-metal strip and a set of contacts that cycled open and closed.

[​IMG]

4. buildingit

buildingit
    from Houston

Ya but this is a new tank from Yogis and it takes a 5 hole aftermarket sending unit. Not the original tank with 6 hole.

5. I just got one from Mac's Antique Auto Parts for my 51 in the correct ohm range and bolt pattern. Works great!

6. buildingit

buildingit
    from Houston

DR dave what was the ohm range or yours ?

7. The one I got from Macs reads 12 ohms full and 98 ohms empty according to their catalog.