Register now to get rid of these ads!

model kits..WHERE ARE THEY NOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

What ever happened to all those model kits you had as a kid......

2. WILLY O

WILLY O

I just dug out this Henry J but it is not complete. I think the orignal came in a redish plastic color.

Attached Files:

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

on my wall....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Whadda ya mean when we were kids? I'm 53, and still a kid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Most were consumed by fire. They also blow up kinda cool when there hit by a .45 round.

6. I'm 48 now but, still have many of the model kits i got as a kid. model kits were my favorite gift. how neat to shake the wrapped box and hear that sound! To this day, even as an adult, a model kit is my favorite gift.
    I would rather be working on the real stuff and spend my time doing that but, I still collect vintage kits and boxes from the 60s and 70s.

Steve
    www.pontiacheaven.org

<DIR>Hosting 11th annual Pontiac Heaven, show, swap, drags, party and all around good time. Saturday April 4, 2009 at Speedworld near Phoenix, Az
    Also hosting- 7th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! and swap coming Sunday April 5, 2009 to Speedworld. Phoenix, Az
    </DIR>

7. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

I got about 10 that I need to do. At the time not working on one, but always fun to pull out and work on.

8. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

I got that vinyl -Big Sounds of the Drags- too...Are all those boxes full or opened? You have some real oddball ones there. Nice and rare...They dont make em like those anymore...I have a few older white models, but most of mine are from 80`s and up. Would like to have all the Zingers too...

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The contents are not in the boxes...too heavy for a thumbtack to hold.
    Yup, I had the "Big Sounds of the Drags" when I was a kis, and, of course, it was thrown out, so I found this one about 5 years ago...still sealed in plastic.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Some are in my garage and some are in the utility room. All 60's stuff. When I get too old to work on the 1 to 1 units' I'll pull out the small ones again.

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

[​IMG]

I know where some are at.

12. I've got a pile of 'em in the attic. I did a lot of "kit bashing" when I was a kid. That's mixing parts from several kits to build a custom or hot rod,(for you younger guys). I pick some up now and then at estate sales. I hope to build some before my 'ol lady has MY estate sale.

13. Rooster

Rooster

I've got shelves full of boxes filled with unbuilt kits in my basement and a number of built ones too. And several boxes of kit bash mat'l too! I've been inspired by the displays Ive seen here to build and or display the boxes sometime soon. Whenever time allows for dad's relaxation I'm in the basement working toward that goal! Building more shelves currently. Gonna cover the fronts in plexi since I hate what dusting eventually does to paper surfaces and paint jobs.

14. jalopy_jimmy

jalopy_jimmy

i found big sounds of the drags at the salvation army for 59 cents and its mint n yes i sit n listen 2 it

15. Thumper

Thumper

I still got a bunch...

[​IMG]

16. Thumper, you have too much stuff on those shelves.
    Maybe I can help you out and relieve you of a few of those kits...?

17. speed-kings

speed-kings

I have a few in boxes in the basement. Maybe I can get to them the same time I get to the life size ones in the garage.

18. Most all of mine are up in my garage and have been boxed away some for over 14 years. My wife always wonders why I am keeping them. Doesn't say much anymore about my pressed steel (Tonka) collection anymore.

19. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I stopped buying them the moment I came home with a modelkit I already had on the shelf still in the box. Went to diecast models instead, but quit buying aswell when their prices went through the roof.
    Now I mainly collect the 1:1 scale model kits :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of my collection. Got all the boxes of them saved aswell.

[​IMG]

20. screwball

screwball

I sold all my old stuff a few years back to pay my rent.

21. budd

budd

pellet gun and fire crackers got most of mine, what was left was placed in boxes and used to build my own creations or trade with friends who built there own creations, last i heard my mother gave away everything i had.

22. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

My wife dragged me to a craft store the other day to get a picture frame and they had a bunch of kits. I had a real early 65 Mustang fastback way back in the day and thought that's cool, I'll get that and build it like my old car til I saw the price tag - $28.00! Needless to say, it's still on the shelf. I'd rather put that into my coupe.

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Parents threw them in the trash when I left home. :(

24. still have em except the one my brothers blew up and melted ..
    gonna do em when i grow up

25. I have well over 200 in boxes, just to make up for the ones my Mother throw out after I got married. I have about 21 built ones in the bedroom and my wife has all her beany babies in there too. I just finihed putting together a 1/6 scale Ford 427 SOHC engine my wife got me for Christmas.
    George

26. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

To all you model Goo-Roos. Where besides ebay can I buy some 1:24/25 scale www tires? I'm trying to build a model after many years. My son has really gotten into it and he has drug me along with him. Do I really have to find a model and scavenge the wheels off it to get what I want? My son is now taking apart models that he has already built to scavenge parts for his next project. I think I need to find a ebay sale that has lots of crazy parts in it. The way we are building models, nothing is left stock so a big parts bin is in order soon.

Thanks if you can help. I have been wanting to ask the Sunday model people about this.

27. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Man, you hit the nail on the head with that. My brother and I always got model kits for Christmas. In our family, we were allowed to open one gift on Christmas eve. My brother and I would run over to the tree and grab the model sized boxes and give 'em a shake. That's the one we always opened early. Man, those were the days.

28. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

The really well stocked hobby shops usually have them. Don't go to Hobby Lobby. They suck. Go to the little strip mall hobby places that specialize in scale trains, cars, RC airplanes, etc. They should have all sorts of cool custom stuff for you.

29. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Kinda sucks because the "Goul" late night shock theatre host here in Cleveland started a trend that involved, "blowing up " model cars on the air. Us kids followed suit at home with our model cars. The Goul was a spin-off from TV host Ernie Anderson's saturday shock theatre. He showed B rated horror movies. Ended up getting thrown off the air for blowing up a frog.

30. ...I know one thing, when you set em on fire, they give off a lot of black soot!
    ..I don't do that anymore.