Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Bonneville, 1951... A Motion Picture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is my favorite era of all time. Things are really cooking up on the Salt and the engine combos as well as the streamlining efforts are on a whole new level. Love the Video!!!

Who's coupe was the 168c at 34 secs in. That things was pretty rad and was running spokes out back still!

Lastly, Ryan your coupe sounds like pure heaven. Put those all together and stop teasing.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Also, who is the guys that always narrates these videos. He's an unsung hero huh?

4. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Vintage bonneville footage was visual aid used to help my wife understand . She calls 5-windows "CLOWN CARS" wondered why mine had the top chopped, so many carbs etc. Now she gets it I think ? ? ? Can you please post some more footage of your Hot Rod "IN ACTION" to help my wife out ? ? Thank You ! ! Haney

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

the flats are on my short list of places to see in the next 5 years. luckily my wife has family in Utah,....if i can convince her to visit them that leaves me free to sneak off to the salt.

yeah, right.

7. Great video, except the driver of 777 (kenz & Leslie) streamliner was Willie Young, not Willie Jones.

Mick

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

excelent, thanks for putting it up ryan!

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I like catching videos like that to start a Friday and end the week. Great inspiration for the weekend - perfect. Thanks Ryan!

10. gassman57

gassman57

Ryan:
    Thank You; I've been readiing the posts all day trying to feel a little better(yesterdays chemo)...those vids made my day!! Any more of the Tardel coupe?

Rick

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cochran/Tardel Coupe, and I know how you feel. I could listen to that car ll day long. I have a bunch of sound clips on my computer of vintage Grand Prix race cars and that thing stacks up right with them.

As for the 1951 Bonne footage, is there anywhere you can watch like an hour of that stuff. There is a Multi disk set that I can't remember the name but I feel like that might have some more of this.

12. Ryan ... cool video! ... I had not seen that one before.

As lurker mick already stated, it was actually Willie Young that drove the Kenz & Leslie 'liner ... which just goes to prove that "Hollywood" & the News media didn't always get things right back then either ... some things will never change!

Also, the "photographers" link (http//www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=1606) isn't working for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fixed. Sorry.

14. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just watched part two and three!!! Thanks.

16. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

17. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That was excellent Ryan, thank you!

18. Bonneville looks like some of our frozen lakes only hotter and cooler

19. Greybeard

Greybeard

What a great old piece of history! My thanks to the folks who archived the film, to those who discovered it and to those, esp Ryan for putting it on display. It's a rare piece of Americana and a tribute to the predecessors of those of us who make the pilgrimage to Wendover. My Uncle Charlie worked for the old Movietone news occassionally would narrate them, so even as a kid I thought these little vignettes were even cooler than the feature films.
    Oh - speaking of the "Hollywood" effect, I never realized that I've been going to Bville to "burn up the sand..."

20. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Its great to see all these little films about hot rodding but it would be even better if someone would compile a dvd of all these snippets of film. I bet they'd sell like hot cakes, just a thought. John

21. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Thanks Ryan; Great vid. I am trying to find more pics/info on this era. I have a 46 Ford Sedan Delivery, a couple very good sources have said it is the old Kenz & Leslie shop vehicle. It appears to be the push car behind # 777. I have only found one other shot similar to this. Any idea where I can search for more info and pics to back this up? Any and all help would be appreciated. thanks Rick

22. autobilly

autobilly

"Burn up the sand"?
    Thanks Ryan, very cool footage.

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

My day has officially been made !, Thanks Ryan

24. Wow! thats cool.
    That drop tank looks great on that trailor!