Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starbirds 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Engine Pro 5X, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Starbird has announced that they will be showing the 2009 autos at this years show in Wichita !! Is it just me or do the rest of you guys want to pay the big ticket price to go to a mixed show and not see a full house of Rod and Customs ??? I know the car count has been down in the past years but 2009's !!! >>>>.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I hope he doesn't pull that shit at Tulsa. The place was packed with cars last year...don't know where he would put the new stuff.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Maybe it's just me >>>>.

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drive almost 200 miles every year to check out the show in Wichita. Wichita
    draws some killer stuff and this year the Lil Koffin will be up there. That has to
    be worth the trip. I think it is worth checking out every year but I'm kind of a
    Hot Rod & Kustom groupie.....

Happy Trails,

Mick

5. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I'll have my "Outlaw" clone at Tulsa & Wichita if thats a consolation to ya :)
    FRITZ

6. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

You tell them three finger, errrr , three window. None of the 2009 shit in Tulsa. We hope.
    _____________________________________________________________________Like I told the kid, "Your music's not too loud, it just sucks and so does OKC!"

7. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

The past few years the car count has been down last year stuff was there that normally wouldnt be in there but I guess some of the auto dealers helped pay for part of the building so maybe its a way for them to get people to look at the cars and a way for him to offset some of the overhead costs. Hopefully this isnt a new tradition.

8. Last time I showed at Starbird was in 1985 in OKC. I was there with a group of cars, and one of ours got first place for "Best Truck"...it was a '63 Belvedere with a '66 426 Hemi in it. Starbird's is a giant waste of time.

Plus, he is one of the most self-centered and rude individuals that I've ever had the displeasure to meet.

9. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Ill be at tulsa , i have been in 22 okc starbirds show, I met darryl in 62 in okc , always got along with him . miss the okc shows, so i drive to tulsa, we will have a couple of our customers cars there as well as the gassers assoc as well..... I doubt he will have to do that in tulsa...............

10. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Screw the new cars.I work on them daily.They suck.The last thing I want to see at a rod and custom show are bellybutton new pieces of shit. I go there to see HOT RODS and CUSTOMS dammit ! What is this world coming to? Those green yuppies are screwing with us way too much now.

11. Ok so I understand the new car thing to help out with the cost. I'll just have to treat the new crap like a tv show I don't like and not pay attention to them. I'll still be at the show !! >>>>.

12. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

I have been griping about this for years. Remember it happening in the 60s. Quit entering shows when my T coupe got put in the same class with a semi-truck. I totally agree with patrick66.

13. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

When is that show? It certainly isn't the best show in the world but who can really complain if they get to see even a few good cars??? If he's gotta bring in some new stuff so be it ignore it or better yet take a few pics so that in 50 years when your grandkids wanna know all about that super rare Ford Flex from the long distinct Ford company you can at least B.S. with em. Ha ha

14. timebombkustoms

timebombkustoms
    from Indiana

He is not the only guy doing this,the carl casper show in louisville Ky use to be a great show then any jack off that could throw a set of 20s on a car got in,then last year they put it and the louisville new car show together its just a sad site now.

15. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

When you say 2009 autos, do you mean new cars like you could go down town and see for free? Thats a rip
    Starbird needs to decide if he wants a car show or a circus.

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hey Fritz....we'll be in Tulsa with our truck!

See you all there.....come on up and say "Hi!".
    I've talked with Starbird on and off for 20 years, or so, never had an issue with the man. He's down to earth and a regular car guy. That's why we're bringing the truck there all the way from NJ.

17. My very first Starbird show in '84 was a real hoot! Of course we were late Thursday evening and was told no more spaces here and the guy who had been before who was with me said bullshit! Where the hell is Darryl? I'm kinda freaking out here saying, Hey dude, let,s get outta cowtown if thier to full, right? Hell no! he states and marches off in pursuit of Darryl! I'm thinking oh shit, well in a few minutes we find him and my friend Myron Rust says Hello you old bastard and Darryl stops for a minute and says Hello Myron! How the heck are you?...........Turns out they grew up together near Mulvane KS. and the model A truck that Myron had was painted by Darryl over 20 years before! Always enjoyed going before that and certainly after! A little saying which goes along way building cars that Myron said and I often quote is " It's not what they see, it's what they don't see that makes a great car!" I have often used this quote when doing wheels and tire combo's or underhood designs.
    Back on the subject thread, Yes I will be there!

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kopper Kart in Tulsa?? I'll be there!
    Looking forward to talking to ya guys again.

Happy Trails,

Mick

19. I guess the only bright point would be the 2009 Challenger.

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd suspect that even if they are new cars of any manufacturer, most people will walk right by them like they do now at automobile showrooms...that's all you have to do...

AND if it helps Starbird put on the show by paying for some of the room, then look at it this way: AT LEAST the show goes on...if he isn't getting help, it too, may go away...then you guys wouldn't have anything to BITCH about...

Oh wait, you'd bitch about WHY it went away...

R-

21. hell have fun with it.....go over and start talkin about what parts would be kool to use and choppin the tops and repainting them....then go look at the real cars in the show,Props to Mr Starbird for finding bucks to help with the show I havent been to the Kansas show in about 15 years but it was always a good one

22. HotRodKitten

HotRodKitten

just go on Wednesday night when everyone is pulling their cars in;) More importantly, they are cracking down on outside food and drinks a.k.a. BEER in coolers. If you can't drink (cheap) beer there, why go, right?

23. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I'm going anyway and I'm going to take lots of photos of the new cars and email them to my pal Engine Pro 5X......

24. KsFlatlander

KsFlatlander

I go every year but the prices keep going up and the cars are always the same. I mean Darryl got his start here in Wichita so it's natural he put his Hall of Fame in... Afton, OK!?! You know the more I think about it, I am may not go.... but it's been so long since I've been to any kind of show. I'm torn. Side note Great website www.carnut.com The guy who runs it is from the Wichita area. He goes to a lot of the car shows takes pics and post them later. So all of starbirds shows for 10 years or so are on there plus other good shows around the country

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  25. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

Another good reason to go to the Tulsa show. I saw your truck at Autorama last year - and I look forward to seeing it again here at home!

J.

26. What are the dates in 2009 for the Wichita and Tulsa shows?

27. Butch M

Butch M

wichita january 16, 17, 18, tulsa Feb. 20, 21, 22,

28. #### ---You are a true friend Pov !! I'll enjoy the photos as long as they have the BIKINI SWEETIES next to the cars SCHWING !!!!!! I just remembered the reason I must go to the show ~~ >>>>.

29. autoartistry

autoartistry

I have had a new Challenger in the shop for repairs.These cars look great but are a major let down in quality and workmanship.This is true for most new models but I guess I was expecting more from this car.Is fast though.
    Mike

30. Starts tomorrow 12:00 noon, BE THERE !!! >>>>.