Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why we wear safety glasses.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Jan 21, 2008.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I got a spark from my angle grinder stuck in my eye for 4 days. The doctor that took it out used a tiny dremel tool to remove the rust ring that had formed.

[​IMG]

2. Wowcars

Wowcars

Very True. New Years day I was at the shop welding filler panels on my wagon. For no reason, I had on my close fitting safety glasses on with the welding helmet. I still had a spark find its way to my eye. Did no damage, but made me contemplate this theory quite a bit!

I had that happen from lit sulfer while striking a match! Now I always ALWAYS ALWAYS strike the match away from me.

3. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yep, full shield if you can use it. Was on the job and had 425 degree asphalt hit me in the face. Covered one whole glass lense and the center of the other one. Went straight up my nose as far as it could go and filled my nostrils.

Threw my glasses off as it was still dripping down across my face from the frames. Was able to stay on my feet and gathered up my stuff and clocked out as I was on past my time waiting on the next guy.

Drove 25 miles to the hospital I trusted as the closer one scarred my arm for life from a similar incident. Driving along with a cold compress on my nose and one eye that was fringed, I probably looked like I was hiding. Cool ride came up alongside on the highway and I gave them the thumbs up forgetting I had a big black nose now that made me look like Goofy from Disneyland.

Took awhile to soak the asphalt off the face and wooden sticks up the nose with swabs to bring that out. Pretended I could still breath through my nose so they wouldn't take my temperature from down South. Took a while to get skin back and you never want to know what it's like to sneeze when your sinuses are nothing but scab.

Needless to say, I'll risk being called a sissy when I'm wearing my face sheild and hope no one else has to learn the same way I did..................... Sir Woosh

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Did the clean out of rust ring too like two posts earlier. Couldn't get attention over the holiday weekend. Wasn't going to go in as it was feeling better after a couple of days. I was pushed into the doctors and found out the piece had become inbedded and was glazed over and rusting. Had to hold my own eye open as the doc came at me with the dremel. After he put in a new battery that is. (no joke!) I use better tools in my shop......... Be safer than I have been................

5. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I agree. I chipped a piece off a punch while striking it with a hammer. It hit me right above the eye on the brow. You would have thought I was shot in the face. The cut was about an inch long.....blood started to spirt.
    Good thing I atleast had glasses on.

6. i agree with everyone's stories safety 1st. i was working with a 10in angle head grinder a couple a weeks ago and the grinding wheel came apart, went fuckin everywhere i had all of my PPE on for the job, but a guy about 25ft away had his glasses on top of his head and he got peppered in the eyes nothing major but painful for an hour or so. its a good idea to have your safety glasses on even when youre just in an area were work is going on.

7. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

Over the holidays I was finishing up boxing in my frame and I had one tiny little spot on one of my welds to grind down. Normally I always wear safety glasses, but since it was only going to take me about 10 seconds to grind the spot down I decided that I wasn’t going to put them on. BIG MISTAKE! I was about to finish the spot and I got metal shaving stuck in my eye. I have had it happen before and have usually been able to flush my eye out or have my mom get it out. This time it was different, right after it happened I tried opening my eye and everything was black for about 30 seconds and then I got some of my vision back and everything was really blurry to the point where I couldn’t make anything out. I was scared shitless that I might have permanently screwed my eye up. After about another 20 minutes my vision was back to normal. It took me almost 2 and half days to get that little metal shaving out of my eye. Ever since then I make sure that as soon as I go into the workshop or garage that I put on some sort of eye protection.

8. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

I watch a lot of these car and truck shows on TV and I can't beleive how many of these "Fabricators" don't wear the proper safety gear. No helmet or gloves when welding, no gloves while pushing sheet metal through the English Wheel, shorts and open shoes when working in the shop, no safety glasses at the press, band saw, chop saw, etc. and so on.

I know a lot of these guys are just posers, but you would think they would at least encourage the use of this basic safety gear on the off chance they get sued for showing people how they do things.

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I had to get a speck metal "drilled" out of my eye once, not much fun! I was even wearing safety glasses when it happened, now it's safety glasses, and an old welding helmet with clear glass.

10. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

Ive had eye surgery too,I now wear safety glasses all the time.I got lucky with the frames.I still get junk in my eyes though. Glad you were not hurt,the recovery isnt pleasant

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Last week I was cutting my firewall wearing safety googles. I had a piece of metal hit my cheek and get in my eye. 2 days later I was at the doctor and had the piece removed because it had lodged into my upper eyelid. Now I wear the safety googles with the foam around them. Even to bed! Can't be to safe.

12. MercManMario

MercManMario

Went to the E.R. a month ago to get a spec of rust removed from the blue of my eye (cornia). I ALWAYS wear safety glasses both at my job (work in a treatment plant), and at home. I dont' even remember getting anything in my eye until the day after doing some grinding i woke up with a very red inflammed eye. After a day of it not improving, we went to the hospital.
    They literally had to stick a needle in my cornia to dig it out :eek:. One of the scariest experiences ever for me. From now on i wear goggles.......even when i'm just reading the paper :p

13. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I have had a couple close calls myself

14. Buckle

Buckle

Man, I'm glad I stumbled onto this, I should pick up a face shield. I only have good vision in one eye already, so I always wear safety glasses, but I actually hadn't thought of a face shield to further protect.

Buckle

15. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Thats another thing. It always seems to happen on a holiday weekend ! The first time i had somthing dremeled out i wasnt wearing safety glasses. The second time was about 2 weeks later and i was wearing them! I went to a full face after that. Still had some close calls even with the full face. once i had a bit of metal on the surface i could see it was just barely stuck there so i picked it off with a needle. Fun

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Good to hear the story from the point of having them on instead of the wishing you had them on side.
    Had a few stupid attacks myself and pretty happy to have been in safety gear

17. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

I agree.
    I heard about cutoff wheels coming apart and I dont want to ruin my handsome face.