Register now to get rid of these ads!

more hp 60 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piston Broke, Jan 2, 2009.

1. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

only when its cold out. or cloudy. or tuesday...

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Oh hell... it'll be Tuesday in a couple'a hours.

3. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Look into a 472 or a 500 Cadillac motor only 75 pounds heavier than a small block and will be a big torque monster . That's what I would do with $1200 bucks . Smoke those tires for a block or more just for Fun .

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ok, i like em

5. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

60 Chevy can has seat belts?
    [​IMG]

6. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Chevy High Performance when it was edited by Jeff Smith kept a running online database of airflow tests for small and big-block chevy heads. Air Flow Research 195cc heads beat everyone in the under 200cc category. They feature 5 axis CNC porting. They used to be about $1200 but have probably gone up since then.

7. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Im thinking a crate motor from a Mustang 5.0 would be the hot ticket

8. monsterflake

monsterflake

this dufus is trolling for the lulz and it won't be long before he gets banned...

9. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

I've always found flames to be the hot ticket.
    [​IMG]

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yessir. What I really like is how he posts these goofy questions, then dissapears:rolleyes:. If he (or she, mustn't be misogonistic:D) were legit, and the question/post/opinion were legit, he'd be back to see how people respond. This question COULD be real (although it does go against the old saying "...there's no such thing as a stupid question..."), but the other posts up by this person are totally bogus.

It is sort of fun reading the replies however ;).

11. Piston Broke

Piston Broke
    BANNED

I asure you I,m real , all I wanted to know what were the best heads I could buy for 1200. And as far ? about gluing body panels , I can,t now get the answer mecutem gave me because somebody erasded it, thanks any way mecutem and all you other hamb peaple that gave me useful advice I know I got off topic a few times I didn,t know I was going to upset so many peaple I guess Im better off just reading this great web site but I still hate mustangs

12. Doug B

Doug B

It's OK man, I hate mustangs,too...

But I like turtles

13. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

'someone say turtles?
    [​IMG]

14. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Anybody got a short clip of Jeff Dunham and Peanut doing his "Vrrrrrrooooom" thing, showing something is over someone's head?

15. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

16. Buckle

Buckle

I can't believe I'm biting on this again, but I'm interested in your combination in your 60. Engine details, gear ratio, etc. I know you wrote about how fast the car is earlier, so my interest is peaked. I have a hard time reading your posts with the misused commas.

Oh, and you guys are killing me with the turtle stuff, ha ha ha ha, I laugh out loud every time I see that stupid kid saying, "I like turtles" ha ha ha.

Okay, back on topic, tell us about this 60. If you would give complete details there is a lot of awesome knowledge on here.

Buckle

17. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

My favorite was the turtle with the tie down. I couldn't stop laughing about that one. :)

18. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

I think he needs it to keep his hood down... :D

19. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

Hahahahahahaha. o man that's good. haha :D:D

20. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I love the Jeff Dunham and Peanut clip. That's about right.... eeeeeeerrrrooowww!

21. Piston Broke

Piston Broke
    BANNED

Well my plans are to put better heads on , thanks for the Ideals then Iplan on putting locker gears in rear, the main reason the mustang beat me is he had a posi. The reason my car runs so strong is the way its geared I belevie it has 411 gears coming from saginaw 4 speed . Then I,ll have to wait for spring and head over the hill and corral that mustang . Thanks for all your help

22. kman1932

kman1932

You get that big tank to hook up and that saginaw won't be around long!!!!!!

23. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Ok piston broke... I'll bite and give you another chance... But remember you gotta prove to me your serious about this,,, and your starting from behind zero!
    Just cut out the "I hate everything" BS, and keep your conversations centered on cars built before 1964. Nobody here cares about the hottie you landed in the back seat of your '69 Chevelle, and nobody is interested in lousy humor. There are a million other web sites where you can talk that crap.

As kman1932 implied, if you start building power and hooking the tires in a '60 heavy chevy, the saginaw box wont last the weekend.

As to your original question about a set of heads, go to ebay and do a search for "SBC aluminum heads". You can get a complete assembled set in almost any flavor you want from mild street to full race for about $650.

You might then want to consider using the remainder of your original 1200 clams to put a T-400 and a posi into your car.

Hope that helps some.

24. Saginaws will hold up, unless you are into hole shots from a dead stop. Then they seem to break really fast. I prefer truck 3-speeds myself, but still refrain from out and out abusing them.

Bob

25. repoguy

repoguy

No wonder it's so fast!!!

The 411 gears are coming from the transmission!!!!

Brilliant set-up. Way to think outside the box!

God I hate Mustangs!

26. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

couple that with a heavy foot and you got yourself one helluva saturday night

27. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Some Saginaws have a really low 1st gear, and your rear gears are 3.08s or 3.36s the most common unless the '60 had factory 3spd OD (then it could have 3.70 or 4.11). The combo of the extra low 1st and 3.36 would run good out of the hole similar to a 4.11. If you get better heads without a posi you will spin harder until the open rear end spider gears break wiping out the ring and pinion probably.

Two simple steps:

Step 1) Spend your money on a posi. Used GM originals are not cheap thanks to the Corvette using the same unit but hey it is only money. Rebuild one with new clutches which are still available and you will be good to go. There isn't a locker carrier available for these rear ends that I know of, if there is it would be a rare piece you shouldn't run. The factory rear end is strong enough for a decent small block if you have a posi, as an open it is a grenade. You can update axles and third member carrier bearing caps with parts from Bruneau Performance http://www.bruneauperformance.com/ making it strong enough to put in 3500# 11 second race car. Don't put a 9 inch Ford in it it will slow the car down (pinion to ring gear drag eats up a lot of power in the 9 inch, which will be felt in a mild motored beast as yours) Ive seen it and lived it.

Step 2) Fill your garage with spare Saginaws, if it hooks up you are going to need 'em.

Marty McFly

28. Buckle

Buckle

I definately wouldn't plan on racing anyone seriously with a one legger rear, if you have enough power, one tire will most likely end up in smoke. I'm surprised it took you so long to get beaten actually. I personally don't have any experience with Saginaws, but I have seen them torn up by people running them hard. A heavy car with traction will definately find the weak link in your driveline in a hurry, whatever it is. The Turbo 400 transmissions are brutes, I have never broke one and I've been pretty abusive with cars in my distant past. I understand that they will take some horsepower away compared to a manual though. Any pics of this 60? I know a couple people that own 60s so I am interested. I personally would love a 62 Bel Air someday.

Buckle

29. Not2low

Not2low
    from Eaton,Ohio

No turtles were harmed in the building of this post.

30. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

my only question is, are you comma/apostrophe dyslexic?